AT & MT Feedback Needed

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
I think it's great if Tada and team are listening and I hope we can feed them valuable information. Ages ago, I brought up a mirror gusset noise issue to an acquaintance at Subaru of America and offered to help (my day job is in aerodynamics and aeroacoustics) and I contacted them through my official work e-mail so it looked legit. A few weeks later I got a very nice e-mail from an engineer from Subaru in Japan who thanked me for bringing it to their attention and said they were looking into it. I never heard a peep from them again, but lo and behold they implemented a fix for the next model year and solved the problem. I have no idea if I contributed to that, but it showed me that if you have a proper channel of communication, you can at least get in touch with the right people. I have little faith that an average customer could do that -- think about what we have to go through to report a problem to a dealer, then escalate to regional rep, then to the national level before they even have statistics on it to inform the engineers -- that is a frustrating way to get something done, especially if you're an engineer and have already analyzed the problem and solutions.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ichitaka05

ichitaka05

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ
I think it's great that he is willing to listen to feedback and that you are forwarding such. When you are in a position such as the one he is in, you are generally very disconnected from the populace both intentionally (mentally exhausting to read through it all) and unintentionally (busy as all hell).

So regardless if anything happens as a result, it's good that he has eyes on what folks are saying. The wind buffeting issue is definitely one I'm glad he heard about and claims to be investigating (the issue there is whether folks are reporting anything to dealer service; everything is statistics, especially when you consider the cost to fix something).
Yeah, Tada-san try to be connected with fans/owners much as he can... but it's really hard for him. That's why he try to contact Moto-san and several other ppl he knows to get much feedback as he can get.

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
Point? Point is to hear fans and owners feedback and give it to Tada-san. Just like wind buffeting issue, I've forward that issue and he felt that it was same or better than other sports cars. I've pushed more about wind buffeting issue after hearing more owners are saying the same thing, so now he & his team is looking into the wind buffeting issue (so he claims). I don't have any power to change the trans fate of Supra... but I've been bless enough to chat with Tada-san more often than a lot of ppl here (exception to A70), so would like to benefit both fans and Tada-san by sharing owner's feedback to Tada-san to update it to make things better.

If you feel there's no point then, that's your lost and you're more than welcome to ignore this thread in general.
man, chill .. am not trying to verbally attack either you or Tada san.
I DO appreciate you connecting the community and DO appreciate him hearing us. That's the "Toyota Way".

The wind buffeting thing is a "bug". I was counting on this kinda debugging of the initial model-years, so by the time a GRMN would reach the market it's honed down.

Am just so DAMN frustrated that Tada-san CONFIRMED a manual isn't coming; hence my question. It is not like I, myself, do not feel there is no point, rather Tada san himself said there isn't, or am I missing something?

At this point of time, isn't it like discussing if Toyota would release an AWD or Hybrid A90? With all sincerity, I am honestly not trying to be a troll, but that's just giving false hope. A70, thankfully, explained how the Japanese do "politely decline", am just recognizing the reality that an MT A90 is dead.

I, as mentioned all the MT threads in this forum, am very well willing to pay more for a manual. heck, even that $12k retrofit isn't as crazy as it sounds after seeing what some racers are already doing with the car, which makes me even MORE frustrated...

OP
OP
ichitaka05

ichitaka05

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ
man, chill .. am not trying to verbally attack either you or Tada san.
I DO appreciate you connecting the community and DO appreciate him hearing us. That's the "Toyota Way".

The wind buffeting thing is a "bug". I was counting on this kinda debugging of the initial model-years, so by the time a GRMN would reach the market it's honed down.

Am just so DAMN frustrated that Tada-san CONFIRMED a manual isn't coming; hence my question. It is not like I, myself, do not feel there is no point, rather Tada san himself said there isn't, or am I missing something?

At this point of time, isn't it like discussing if Toyota would release an AWD or Hybrid A90? With all sincerity, I am honestly not trying to be a troll, but that's just giving false hope. A70, thankfully, explained how the Japanese do "politely decline", am just recognizing the reality that an MT A90 is dead.

I, as mentioned all the MT threads in this forum, am very well willing to pay more for a manual. heck, even that $12k retrofit isn't as crazy as it sounds after seeing what some racers are already doing with the car, which makes me even MORE frustrated...
I'm chill. This is internet, nothing I don't need to get upset over bout.

If you're talking bout Q&A from other article few weeks ago, it's not set in stone. To add, I feel like there were some words are lost in translation. Not questioning their translator's skill. Just Tada-san's talking skill is better. Tada-san like to use certain words/sentence that can take it so many ways, especially when he knows that he's been recorded. Prob do with automotive political stuff.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
[off topic] buffeting: I hadn't realized buffeting was such a big issue for many. I've never ever partially or fully lowered the windows above 50mph in my life. [/off topic]

kudos ichitaka, I wasn't aware you were still actively in discussion. That's great of Tada-san to even hear people out.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
well, there is a hybridized variant of the ZF8 (+80kw) that could be implemented :D
So looking at almost 490-510 hp stock (I mention these numbers because I ignored the underrated numbers Toyota claimed and estimated based off dynos that rate the Supra at 385-400 hp and 80 kw is approximately 110 hp)?

Or did you mean to write 80 kw/h and accidentally wrote 80 kw (I really fucking hope it's the latter one)?

EDIT: Inb4 A70TTR and his signature smileys [:D or :)].

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
ichitaka05

ichitaka05

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ
[off topic] buffeting: I hadn't realized buffeting was such a big issue for many. I've never ever partially or fully lowered the windows above 50mph in my life. [/off topic]

kudos ichitaka, I wasn't aware you were still actively in discussion. That's great of Tada-san to even hear people out.
Buffeting is a real issue for Supra. Tada-san was surprised to see owner drive around windows down. I told him, ppl still do roll down the windows and drive.

I tried to keep myself ninja around here, but I do read owners comments and give feedbacks to Tada-san.

Heywood220

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
13 FR-S, 22 Tundra, 93 325i
I know buffeting has been talked about a lot here, but what hasn't been brought up or I might of missed it is how bad buffeting with the windows open is on all new cars today. With everything being over analyzed in a wind tunnel or computer for aerodynamics it has become a real issue that largely goes unnoticed or unheard. I remember a while back someone did a complete review of the Camry and only talked about the terrible buffeting.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
I tried to keep myself ninja around here, but I do read owners comments and give feedbacks to Tada-san.
Are you able to pass on the feedback re: performance screens please? I feel like the aftermarket won't be able to provide a polished-enough solution. :p

zigzagz94

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ, 3g Eclipse
Given the rarity of manual sports cars these days I would absolutely be OK with paying a $4-$5k premium for the transmission I want. I refuse to drive an auto/DCT which is why both the C8 and Supra are currently off my list. If the Supra offered a MT package it could be the deciding factor for some people, like me, even though the price would be the same as the base C8.

mande110

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
na
Last edited:

Illsic_Design

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E92 335i N54, 4G63T Mighty Max
Buffeting is a real issue for Supra. Tada-san was surprised to see owner drive around windows down. I told him, ppl still do roll down the windows and drive.

Do a lot of you guys(or people in general) not drive with their windows down ever? Unless its 95*+ or raining I usually have my windows down. I much prefer to feel/smell the air rather than the recirculated AC and I also feel like I'm too isolated/locked up most of the time with the windows up.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Above 60km/h I often close them - either it's cold or I don't want shit dirt in my interior.
Sponsored