B58 JB Plus Quick Install Tuner ....

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Again it's not an opinion if it's straight from the seller of the product though....
Seriously? From what I gather from the JB+ product page and this thread, the manufacturer does not say that Ethanol is needed or even recommend. After being asked by a forum member, the manufacturer said that using Ethanol wouldn't be a problem. And? This isn't a requirement. This isn't an endorsement. This isn't even a suggestion.. and it in no way validates any performance or protective properties anyone happens to opine. 🙄

Really? How many times have you heard "Butt dyno" or "seat of my pants" on this forum. I thinks it is a bit extreme to invalidate the entire body of knowledge because people are offering their driving impressions without anything more objective. Just my opinion.
No body is questioning the added performance the JB+ provides. I am suggesting that when it comes to the JB+, the use of Ethanol has no real world evidence to warrant it whatsoever. Not even the proverbial "butt dyno." It's like the oil conversation where someone recommends a particular oil based on nothing more than their long and elaborate history of making shit up.

If anything, the Ethanol is likely improving engine performance completely independently of the JB+ thus adding a variable that is overcomplicating a rather simple modification.

Without applying some pretty heavy critical thinking to this thread, people are going to end up thinking they have to mix Ethanol just to use the JB+ which is absolute horseshit.
Sponsored

GreyMadder

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten A90 Premium, 08 Tundra, 04 GX470
Seriously? From what I gather from the JB+ product page and this thread, the manufacturer does not say that Ethanol is needed or even recommend. After being asked by a forum member, the manufacturer said that using Ethanol wouldn't be a problem. And? This isn't a requirement. This isn't an endorsement. This isn't even a suggestion.. and it in no way validates any performance or protective properties anyone happens to opine. 🙄

No body is questioning the added performance the JB+ provides. I am suggesting that when it comes to the JB+, the use of Ethanol has no real world evidence to warrant it whatsoever. Not even the proverbial "butt dyno." It's like the oil conversation where someone recommends a particular oil based on nothing more than their long and elaborate history of making shit up.

If anything, the Ethanol is likely improving engine performance completely independently of the JB+ thus adding a variable that is overcomplicating a rather simple modification.

Without applying some pretty heavy critical thinking to this thread, people are going to end up thinking they have to mix Ethanol just to use the JB+ which is absolute horseshit.

Think you are one over complicating it chief. All we said was you can run a blend in conjunction with the JB+ no one ever said it was required or needed. Good lord man calm down it's not that serious. The manual literally says you can run e25 on a stock car with the B58.

TheBayA90

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Nocturnal A90, 2021 Lexus RX350 F sport
I got around to filling 3 gallons of E85 and topped off with 91. I'm not sure how much faster but the car definitely feels as if its happier with my JB+ at 3-3.5psi. My RPMs seem to get to 4k pretty quick and it feels smooth. Prior to this when I was using 91 only with JB+, the car felt really jerky when my foots not on gas, sort of like it wasn't getting enough fuel. Btw I always drive in sport individual with dampening set to normal so I'm sure the rough ride while using 91 only was from the Jb+.

I'm new to trying Ethanol so what I'm saying can be completely incorrect ha.

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
Think you are one over complicating it chief. All we said was you can run a blend in conjunction with the JB+ no one ever said it was required or needed. Good lord man calm down it's not that serious. The manual literally says you can run e25 on a stock car with the B58.
Genuinely have never seen someone so passionately against something they've never tried. They'll look awfully silly when someone posts measurable gains. I, for one, don't feel like I need to prove anything by spending 200 bucks on a dragy or dyno run..

For reference- I run JB4 with BT and data log my MK7 GTI (FBO, yes even with a FMIC). It runs 6 psi additive(25 peak) and will STILL have timing corrections on 93 only. They dissappear when mixing in E. Additionally, when I run E30, the car will happily run 7.5 psi additive without any timing corrections whatsoever.

I know the Supra is a different platform, but I can almost promise you there are timing corrections when you add 5 psi to a car that runs, what <15psi stock?

Sub-MkV

First Name
Moses
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium Renaissance Red
This is with my TT piggyback at +3 with catless dp. This is also why I'll stick to my e25-28 blend. With the piggyback in off position it says peak 16.5-17
Screenshot_20230602-105346.jpg

Eyelise

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Lotus Elise, 2023 Supra

There actually is real world evidence but somehow you have missed it. Evidence comes in many forms and although circumstantial, multiple people have posted their driving impressions suggesting an added benefit of using ethanol with a JB+. That is indeed as real world as it gets albeit not the objective evidence you are looking for. Hang around and eventually someone will post data logs , drag slips, or dyno runs. We are just suggesting don't hate everyone else in the mean time.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
There actually is real world evidence but somehow you have missed it. Evidence comes in many forms and although circumstantial, multiple people have posted their driving impressions suggesting an added benefit of using ethanol with a JB+. That is indeed as real world as it gets albeit not the objective evidence you are looking for. Hang around and eventually someone will post data logs , drag slips, or dyno runs. We are just suggesting don't hate everyone else in the mean time.
I'm making the simple case that the JB+ was designed and can safely be used with 93ULP or perhaps even 91ULP. I see no evidence to support the idea that the use of Ethanol in any way affects how safe the use of the JB+ is.

If evidence exists - and I mean other than "I think it does" or "It can't hurt" or "Burger said its ok to use Ethanol," please feel free to present it.

Eyelise

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Lotus Elise, 2023 Supra
I'm making the simple case that the JB+ was designed and can safely be used with 93ULP or perhaps even 91ULP. I see no evidence to support the idea that the use of Ethanol in any way affects how safe the use of the JB+ is.

If evidence exists - and I mean other than "I think it does" or "It can't hurt" or "Burger said its ok to use Ethanol," please feel free to present it.
Ahh your concern is safety. OK I misunderstood. I agree with you using the JB+ is just as safe either way. All the OEM safety measures programed into the ECU are still in place and active. Pulling timing as one contributor discussed is just one. Many of the contributors were referring to extracting added performance from the JB+ by using Ethanol.

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR 3.0 Premium
Still waiting on slips >:[

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
Ahh your concern is safety. OK I misunderstood. I agree with you using the JB+ is just as safe either way. All the OEM safety measures programed into the ECU are still in place and active. Pulling timing as one contributor discussed is just one. Many of the contributors were referring to extracting added performance from the JB+ by using Ethanol.
Fair point. I earlier stated I use ethanol for "safety" and maybe I should clarify. Never is the engine at risk of blowing running JB+ at ANY SETTING on ANY FUEL. DME will simply pull timing/boost - sapping power and ruining drivability. If your octane is really shit (< 91), potentially the car would throw itself into limp mode if there's too much detonation. I'm just used to my years of JB4 map 6 datalogging targeting zero(or very few) timing corrections, which you would call a safe map.

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
was wondering what ghost you guys were replying to. not surprised

never seen someone complain about people using E to avoid running lean and protecting their engine. next is complaining about people having ppf installed to protect their paint, i guess.

guy has an opinion to share on every thread. not sure how it's a foreign concept to respect people's autonomy.. leave them alone fr

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Many of the contributors were referring to extracting added performance from the JB+ by using Ethanol.
Yeah.. and on this I think the point is largely moot as there is a lot of evidence to suggest Ethanol adds performance benefits in and of itself. Having said this, I suspect Ethanol has zero net effect on the JB+ though and the improvements documented are actually indicative of improvements to baseline engine performance.. which in turn the JB+ then adds its magic to.

ArmenLS1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Type R
I really don't want to beat a dead horse but i've recently added an AA catted DP along with the JB+, (default settings +94 octane), and can honestly tell you that the butt dyno picked up a decent gain. The car seems to pull harder in the upper rpm band and feels faster overal. Still sending ecu out for July though. ;)

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I really don't want to beat a dead horse but i've recently added an AA catted DP along with the JB+, (default settings +94 octane), and can honestly tell you that the butt dyno picked up a decent gain. The car seems to pull harder in the upper rpm band and feels faster overal. Still sending ecu out for July though. ;)
Should definitely do some Eta runs and see differences

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Glad I could help. Let us know how you enjoy your JB+ after some drives!
Long overdue. Finally installed it.

So far butt dyno approves the power 👍

I felt it right away even at lower throttle %s.

I know it mentions it'll adapt In a few driving cycles, not sure if that's accurate or not
Sponsored