Best way to keep pests out of your car?

Spoiler

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0
Another area for unwanted entry is the exhaust… some guys stick a wad of steel wool into each pipe. (Just remember to pull it out before start up…)
Sponsored

• Wow
Reactions: zrk
OP
OP

Doon

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Spray spearmint oil around perimeter of car. This works, moth balls don’t. Buddy of mine who keeps his RV on his remote property in upstate Maine all year claims this does the trick. He tried moth balls and dryer sheets with no luck. In fact they use the dryer sheets to make nests.
You were definitely right about moth balls. I tried that last night and they didn't care one bit. Destroyed more of the cover. I moved the car to a different spot and the culprit fell out.

Attachments

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
If that happened in a garage then you can trap mice, but if parked out doors you’re just playing with luck.

OP
OP

Doon

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I live in the woods and I don't have a garage.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Another area for unwanted entry is the exhaust… some guys stick a wad of steel wool into each pipe. (Just remember to pull it out before start up…)

Never understood this?? Do people think mice are going to travel through muffler and chew on turbo wheel? I mean how far can a rodent go and or do?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
You were definitely right about moth balls. I tried that last night and they didn't care one bit. Destroyed more of the cover. I moved the car to a different spot and the culprit fell out.
He's so cuuuute though.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Never understood this?? Do people think mice are going to travel through muffler and chew on turbo wheel? I mean how far can a rodent go and or do?
No, but they can build nests or use it for storage. Happened to one of my cars in a garage. Started it up in the spring and like a pound of acorns shot out the exhaust. lol

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Jack the car up on 4 jack stands. Pull the wheels off if you can’t get them high enough for a mouse to not be able to reach the wheel. It’ll make it much harder for them.
That won't work. Mice can jump super high and their general acrobatic agility is actually quite astounding to watch. They can easily jump higher than any jack stand. Maybe if you had a two post lift.

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
That won't work. Mice can jump super high and their general acrobatic agility is actually quite astounding to watch. They can easily jump higher than any jack stand. Maybe if you had a two post lift.
http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pchousemouse.htm

"They are excellent climbers and can run up any rough vertical surface. They will run horizontally along wire cables or ropes and can jump up 13 inches from the floor onto a flat surface."

Jack stands will absolutely work especially with wheels off. From where the jack points are there are not many places a mouse can get to. I've been doing it for years without issues. My car is stored in an airplane hangar where mice are common. Jack stands keep them off the car and round hvac ducting around the gear of the airplane cut around 12ish inches tall keep them out of the airplane.

Maybe mice on long island cant jump has high but we all do the same thing and have very little issues with mice.

OP
OP

Doon

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I moved it to a different part of my driveway for now. I work as a chemist at a flavor company so I have access to straight peppermint oil. Going to spray it all around the car like some sort of pagan ritual.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
You're not wrong. Part of me wanted to smash him and part of me wanted to pet him.
I moved it to a different part of my driveway for now. I work as a chemist at a flavor company so I have access to straight peppermint oil. Going to spray it all around the car like some sort of pagan ritual.
I like you.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pchousemouse.htm

"They are excellent climbers and can run up any rough vertical surface. They will run horizontally along wire cables or ropes and can jump up 13 inches from the floor onto a flat surface."

Jack stands will absolutely work especially with wheels off. From where the jack points are there are not many places a mouse can get to. I've been doing it for years without issues. My car is stored in an airplane hangar where mice are common. Jack stands keep them off the car and round hvac ducting around the gear of the airplane cut around 12ish inches tall keep them out of the airplane.

Maybe mice on long island cant jump has high but we all do the same thing and have very little issues with mice.
Yea, maybe New Jersey mice are more acrobatic. I had my Evo on jackstands and they still got into the exhaust and inside the car. Hahha. Glad it works for you though!

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
The inner child in me wants to recommend a hallway full of traps leading to a clean room somewhat like this:
1642096699855.png
Sponsored