Brake Pad Discussion - Don't take R1 Ceramic to track day!

YellowJacket

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Toyota Supra 3.0
Subbed..Did a lot of HPDEs in the past and kinda stopped for a bit...this car has me ready to hit a track. Gunna be searching info on brakes, fluids and tires. Seems there is no limp modes I've gotta worry about like the Vette I had before this.
Sponsored

Lordhowe

First Name
HG
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Yaris
Subbed..Did a lot of HPDEs in the past and kinda stopped for a bit...this car has me ready to hit a track. Gunna be searching info on brakes, fluids and tires. Seems there is no limp modes I've gotta worry about like the Vette I had before this.
I wouldnā€™t jump to that conclusion so quickly. I recently drove at VIR in 98 degrees weather and after the 2nd run the car threw a ā€œrear axle lock reducedā€ error and went into limp mode. on the other hand, I have never experienced any sort of overheating issue/limp mode in my M7 C7 Grand Sport. I drove that car in similar temperature and much harder than I did in the Supra (first time out, was taking it easy).
Iā€™m starting to appreciate the Supra more as I get used to it, but itā€™s pretty far away from a similarly prepped C7. Just my $0.02.

Lordhowe

First Name
HG
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Yaris
I ran the DTC 60s in the front and stock rears. I did find the stopping power acceptable for the 200 wear indicator street tires I was running. I found myself breaking at zone 6 on the back straight of VIR after hitting the upper 140ā€™s. In comparison, I would break in zone 3 or 2 in my C7 which had DTC 60ā€™s front and rear clamping down on girodiscs.
I never experienced any overheating issue with my setup so I give credit to the brake vents. But again, I wouldnā€™t just jam on the brakes super hard - firm initially to scrub off some speed and then doing a bit trail breaking as I enter the roller coast after the back straight.

YellowJacket

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Toyota Supra 3.0
My C7 was a A8. Yea should have stuck with the manual. C7 was my first auto in a sports car...It wasn't all that great. The supra's auto is better than the C7s for sure so far.

RWhiz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche 911 964, Tacoma, 2021 Absolute Zero Premium
I was looking at getting the Hawk 5.0 for the front and stock for rear, but the DTC- 60ā€™s look like a better deal.

SooopraSD

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2005 Titan, 1993 Civic, 2003 CBR600RR
Anyone running Powerstop Z16 pads?

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
997.2 GT3, 2021 A91, 2008 S2K CR,
I was looking at getting the Hawk 5.0 for the front and stock for rear, but the DTC- 60ā€™s look like a better deal.
Those are two incredibly different compounds with completely different purposes..

OP
OP
nibble

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Anyone running Powerstop Z16 pads?
unless you have a death wish or not wanting to have fun at the track, don't. Z16 is categorized as economic daily drive and stock pad will be better at any circumstances.

here's my take on brake. the collision is matter of an inch. if you can stop 1 inch less, you might be ale to avoid collision. stock pads compare to R1 ceramic & Z16, stock pads will stop yards before these cheaper brand will do. I think minimum of 5 yards when traveling 30mph, stock vs R1. you may not like the dusts but it may save your life or more.

RWhiz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche 911 964, Tacoma, 2021 Absolute Zero Premium
Those are two incredibly different compounds with completely different purposes..
oh Iā€™m aware those are completely different, just not sure how I want to go right now.

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
unless you have a death wish or not wanting to have fun at the track, don't. Z16 is categorized as economic daily drive and stock pad will be better at any circumstances.

here's my take on brake. the collision is matter of an inch. if you can stop 1 inch less, you might be ale to avoid collision. stock pads compare to R1 ceramic & Z16, stock pads will stop yards before these cheaper brand will do. I think minimum of 5 yards when traveling 30mph, stock vs R1. you may not like the dusts but it may save your life or more.
@Loco38SUP you are running Z16 pads right? Have you noticed this level of difference vs stock? I realize this is a track thread, but the difference described here seems like it would be pretty tangible on the street too.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
@Loco38SUP you are running Z16 pads right? Have you noticed this level of difference vs stock? I realize this is a track thread, but the difference described here seems like it would be pretty tangible on the street too.
Iā€™m running them. The best way to describe the performance is being predictable. The stock pads are really grabby and you sometimes give yourself whiplash from applying them. The Z16 pads are a gradual squeeze and are more street friendly.

-RJM

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

I run the Z16 pads and donā€™t have a death wish. My car is tuned and Iā€™m always pushing my car to the limits. The traffic here is Seattle is horrendous and my car has always stopped when I needed it.

If I ever felt the Z16 pads were unsafe for any reason I would be the first person to mention it.

-RJM

OP
OP
nibble

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
I run the Z16 pads and donā€™t have a death wish. My car is tuned and Iā€™m always pushing my car to the limits. The traffic here is Seattle is horrendous and my car has always stopped when I needed it.

If I ever felt the Z16 pads were unsafe for any reason I would be the first person to mention it.

-RJM
on the street, you won't know until you need it. take it to the track (road) and then say it. and do tell the time because you'd be at least 2 ~ 3 seconds slower.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
on the street, you won't know until you need it. take it to the track (road) and then say it. and do tell the time because you'd be at least 2 ~ 3 seconds slower.
Clearly youā€™ve never driven with me. ?

And you can take your car to the track and enjoy it without it being a time attack machine. If youā€™re goal is purely time attack the pads are the least of your worries.

-RJM
Sponsored