C8 LT3 trade

Emspilot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Neither car is gonna have great ‘resale value’ more so than the other if you’re gonna drive and enjoy it. If you intend to make it a garage queen and only put a few hundred or a thousand miles on it then maybe.

Otherwise buy what you want, drive it, and enjoy it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

MrNobody

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Trdoffroad 4runner
You could rent one on Turo and make your decision from that. There are plenty to choose from.

I drove a base C8 in LA last summer. Here are some impressions.

The forward visibility as expected was good. The square-shaped steering wheel feels odd at first, but makes sense after a few miles based on the instrument panel's layout. The seats were just okay, but this was the base model. I was surprised that it was actually more difficult to get in and out of it than the Supra - that door sill is extremely wide. The exhaust was too quiet, IMO. It doesn't feel special on the road, but once I got up into the mountain twisties, I was surprised at how well it handled considering its size - it felt smaller than it was. Maybe this was a beat-up model, but the interior rattled and creaked quite a bit and the acceleration felt way slower than the Supra which I was surprised - certainly not the 2.7 0-60 advertised. Having two trunks was nice though, but that long center column of HVAC buttons is not intuitive.

I think that's all I can remember.

Even trade with the Supra? I wouldn't. Maybe the 3LT model may be worth it for the extra features.

Now, Z06 and E-Ray is a different story. But I'd suspect at least two (if not 3) Supras for the price of one of those.
Yeah it would be close but i would owe a little on my side (unless i talked them down). The 3LT has the book thrown at it with GM "extras" cf bits and bobs.

I think everyone has talked me into what I was already feeling. I'm just going to keep the supra. I also like not having a payment

bk5

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CUL A91-MT
Otherwise buy what you want, drive it, and enjoy it.
Underrated comment.

It's going to be a long fucking time before anyone knows if either of these cars hold their values or become collectors cars. The whole car economy is still somewhat fucked, so extrapolating near-term future values based on recent valuations is a fool's errand.

The people who bought new Mk4s are largely in their 70+s (or are dead). And even those cars went though a period of serious depreciation. I remember considering getting one in the mid 2000s for like $20-25k.

Buy the car you like the best. It's okay if you think the best car is a C8. Sure, everyone around here will make fun of you for being a old guy in jorts who drives it 20 under the limit to the early bird special at the Cracker Barrel. But if you go to a Corvette forum, people will call us idiots for paying too much for an ugly, slow-ass BMW covered in fake vents. That's just being a car enthusiast in a nutshell.

If you want an investment, buy an S&P500 index fund. It will outperform either of these cars.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
Underrated comment.

It's going to be a long fucking time before anyone knows if either of these cars hold their values or become collectors cars. The whole car economy is still somewhat fucked, so extrapolating near-term future values based on recent valuations is a fool's errand.

The people who bought new Mk4s are largely in their 70+s (or are dead). And even those cars went though a period of serious depreciation. I remember considering getting one in the mid 2000s for like $20-25k.

Buy the car you like the best. It's okay if you think the best car is a C8. Sure, everyone around here will make fun of you for being a old guy in jorts who drives it 20 under the limit to the early bird special at the Cracker Barrel. But if you go to a Corvette forum, people will call us idiots for paying too much for an ugly, slow-ass BMW covered in fake vents. That's just being a car enthusiast in a nutshell.

If you want an investment, buy an S&P500 index fund. It will outperform either of these cars.

Aliens.jpg

Callabrator

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Refraction Blue A91 Edition Supra
You could also do what I did and rent a C8 off Turo for the day. I've always liked/loved the C8, but it was a bit more money than I wanted to spend when I was looking to buy 3 years ago. They still do catch my eye, and I think overall they look great. Trying one for myself, on roads I know well, was the only way to really make up my mind on the matter.

But after driving a 3LT, non-Z51 car, I didn't ache for it like I thought I would. It does sound good, goes quick and the interior is the best yet for a Corvette, but it feels like a big car, and the steering is even more numb than the Supra's. That last bit was the most disappointing, as I was hoping it would at least be on par. Also, the car creaked and moaned a bit more than I would like (especially the seats), but it was a rental, so that's likely to be expected.

For $300 it was money very well spent. It reaffirmed that I'm very happy with the Supra!

Last edited:
OP
OP

MrNobody

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Trdoffroad 4runner
Underrated comment.

Like I said I've also made my mind up on not getting the C8 since I like the supra too much right now. And again I don't go buying a car thinking it will make me money (That's a foolish way of thinking.). But, what I do want is to have a car that is a blast to drive and will retain what little value they do have.

Cars are not an income for me. I have plenty other avenues for that.

Again thank you all for the input. It helped me make my mind up relatively quickly.

Noctb48MD

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Nocturnal B48, 2019 Blazer 2lt
Last year they produced more corvettes than any year ever. there is a reason why the car is depreciating so much... They produced more corvettes in one year than mk5 Supra's will be built total. I think were close to 25-30k cars? But Im not sure, considering that only ~2200 new supra's sold in the US in 2023.

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
You could also do what I did and rent a C8 off Turo for the day. I've always liked/loved the C8, but it was a bit more money than I wanted to spend when I was looking to buy 3 years ago. They still do catch my eye, and I think overall they look great. Trying one for myself, on roads I know well, was the only way to really make up my mind on the matter.

But after driving a 3LT, non-Z51 car, I didn't ache for it like I thought I would. It does sound good, goes quick and the interior is the best yet for a Corvette, but it feels like a big car, and the steering is even more numb than the Supra's. That last bit was the most disappointing, as I was hoping it would at least be on par. Also, the car creaked and moaned a bit more than I would like (especially the seats), but it was a rental, so that's likely to be expected.

For $300 it was money very well spent. It reaffirmed that I'm very happy with the Supra!
I did the same thing - rented a C8 (2022). There are two reasons why I didn't want to buy one:
1. Compared to my MX5, the C8 is massive and at such a heavy weight, does not feel as "flingable" as a car weighing over 1000 lbs less.
2. My experience of owning a C5 soured me on the brand because of constant reliability/quality issues over a span of 13 years.
My Supra is like an in-between - sized car that is most likely to be much quicker than either the MX5 and C5, although the C5's top speed (180 MPH) is quite a bit above that of the Supra. I'm still not past the break-in mileage for the Supra, but after 400 miles, I'll get a better feel for how quick it is.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I did the same thing - rented a C8 (2022). There are two reasons why I didn't want to buy one:
1. Compared to my MX5, the C8 is massive and at such a heavy weight, does not feel as "flingable" as a car weighing over 1000 lbs less.
2. My experience of owning a C5 soured me on the brand because of constant reliability/quality issues over a span of 13 years.
My Supra is like an in-between - sized car that is most likely to be much quicker than either the MX5 and C5, although the C5's top speed (180 MPH) is quite a bit above that of the Supra. I'm still not past the break-in mileage for the Supra, but after 400 miles, I'll get a better feel for how quick it is.
It actually feel quicker that the HP would lead you to believe. Thanks to gobs of delicious 🤤 torque. However on the back straight of Sebring (huge track), those Vetts do get to a higher top speed than we do with more HP. A buddy has a Z06. What a beast 🦍

If you want to go a little further in the HP dept, checkout the drag strip guys on here. They have no problem getting more out of this engine. Just a little bump and you’d be there. Checkout some of zrk & others threads/post. Especially if you’re not going to track, wanna do some pulls or top speed mods. :)

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
It actually feel quicker that the HP would lead you to believe. Thanks to gobs of delicious 🤤 torque. However on the back straight of Sebring (huge track), those Vetts do get to a higher top speed than we do with more HP. A buddy has a Z06. What a beast 🦍

If you want to go a little further in the HP dept, checkout the drag strip guys on here. They have no problem getting more out of this engine. Just a little bump and you’d be there. Checkout some of zrk & others threads/post. Especially if you’re not going to track, wanna do some pulls or top speed mods. :)
Thanks. That would be great if I could get more power without running afoul of the smog nazis here in CA. I will have a baseline idea of stock power in less than 400 miles when I reach 1200. I was stopped at a traffic light, today with a guy in a C7 Corvette. He motioned me to roll down the passenger window, then asked me if it were difficult for me to get in and out of the Supra. I told him that it is no problem for me, but may be a pain for a much heavier and taller person.
The C7 driver went to say that he loves the shape of the GR Supra.
Sponsored