• Total voters

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
Be careful with this. Theres a few things to keep in mind when people say oil burning is normal.

BMW states that during the breakin period, the engine can sometimes burn up to 1 liter of oil (roughly 1.05 qts)every 1500 miles. Our cars hold roughly 7 qts. Low warnings generally come on when the car is around 2-3 qts of oil remaining. That would mean that if you are getting a low oil waarning at 1500 miles, you have burned 4+ qts of oil in 1500 miles. That is NOT normal.

Take a look at my picture below. This is my A91 2021 Supra after an oil change at 1100 miles, and then a full track day (so you know i drove it hard) and then another 1300 miles driven with a mix of sport mode and normal. Car sits at just below 2500 miles. Based on the measurement, my car has only burned about 1qt of oil in the past 1300 miles. (including the track day). THIS is NORMAL behavior. You generally burn more oil during a track day since you're in the upper RPM limit for a lot longer but as you can see, i'm still within spec. I dont expect to see a low oil warning till i'm close to 12000 miles, however i tend to do an oil change every 6 months out of habit.

IMG_1437.jpg

If you are getting a low oil warning light at any mileage below 10,000, take a video. Record it, document it. And let toyota know. Even with the max oil being burned by BMW standards for the B58 engine, you shouldnt see a low oil warning till around 9000 miles driven.
My 2021 has 2,200 miles on it, 2,200 very hard driven miles, almost always in sport manual mode and always having fun. I've been putting it through it's paces since day 1. Never really worried about a break in period, call me stupid if you want, I know I know. Went for a 45 minute spirited drive yesterday morning and when I got back I did an oil measurement check and it shows the identical oil level that yours does. I've had 0 oil changes as well. Oil level right at the Max line but not above it and if what you say is accurate, that means it's only about 1qt low in 2,200 hard driven miles.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
My 2021 has 2,200 miles on it, 2,200 very hard driven miles, almost always in sport manual mode and always having fun. I've been putting it through it's paces since day 1. Never really worried about a break in period, call me stupid if you want, I know I know. Went for a 45 minute spirited drive yesterday morning and when I got back I did an oil measurement check and it shows the identical oil level that yours does. I've had 0 oil changes as well. Oil level right at the Max line but not above it and if what you say is accurate, that means it's only about 1qt low in 2,200 hard driven miles.
No. At the max line is full. Above it is overfilled. When it's at the bottom line, it's 1 quart low.

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
No. At the max line is full. Above it is overfilled. When it's at the bottom line, it's 1 quart low.
Ok thanks dude, well that's even better! I wish there was a percentage gauge somewhere on that screen. I still miss my old school dipsticks!

Spiguyver

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition Refraction Blue
One quart every 2500 miles doesn't seem like much. My Gen 5 Viper burned one every 1000 miles easily, and other cars I've owned have done similar.
I get that, but when itā€™s only a few dozen 2021ā€™s that are having this issue, it points to something else being wrong. For those who have been given a warranty engine all that I am aware of have had scarring inside the cylinder(s). Not something normal.

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
I contacted my Toyota dealer today..
The service manager told me they have not serviced a Supra in 3 years...

I had to make an appointment for them to do a diagnostics? What could they possibly diagnose?
All I wanted was to let it be known that I had to add oil with relatively low miles..

We'll see what they say on April 6th...

Steve

Spiguyver

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition Refraction Blue
Update to mine. Waiting on Toyota to send a special tech to my dealership to make the determination. No timeline provided at this point.

Foxhound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
I contacted my Toyota dealer today..
The service manager told me they have not serviced a Supra in 3 years...

I had to make an appointment for them to do a diagnostics? What could they possibly diagnose?
All I wanted was to let it be known that I had to add oil with relatively low miles..

We'll see what they say on April 6th...

Steve
Call Toyota corporate and open a case

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Just got back from my local Toyota dealership and was speaking to him about the A90. He said he is working with several 2021 owners on warranty issues of low oil levels and the bearings going bad. He said it seems like every week, a 2021 owner is coming in about the low oil level issue. He hasnā€™t see any 2020 complaints yet.

He also said to get ready for a massive TSB for 2021 motor issues..
:(

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
Just got back from my local Toyota dealership and was speaking to him about the A90. He said he is working with several 2021 owners on warranty issues of low oil levels and the bearings going bad. He said it seems like every week, a 2021 owner is coming in about the low oil level issue. He hasnā€™t see any 2020 complaints yet.

He also said to get ready for a massive TSB for 2021 motor issues..
:(
Hmmm just a TSB. Hopefully they figure out the problem.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Hmmm just a TSB. Hopefully they figure out the problem.
Yeah, who knows. He said ā€œbearingsā€, I thought people were saying the piston rings. I guess both are related in some way. Not sure if he knows what he is talking about. Lol

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
My dealership said the online form to fill out and report a case on burning oil is no longer available and so they think there will be TSB or game plan in next 6 months