Car excessively burning oil?

Is your car excessively burning oil?

• Total voters

Toshi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Nitro Yellow
Which dealership did you go with? Its always good to know if you had a good experience.

-RJM
I went to the dealership in Puyallup on River road. I also had them do the 2 recalls as well. I've been twice and its been a pretty good experience so far. Did have a slight blip with my new all seasons. I just noted I had a vibration in my steering wheel and they said they don't have the machine required to do a tire balance because of the Supra wheels and that they would have to do them by hand requiring 300+ dollars since my tires are not "stock"

They told me to bring my tires back to Discount Tire to get them re-balances but now I have doubts that they can even do it. I'm just going to bring my Supra into an "exotic" shop specializing on tires and suspension and get it done properly. Think I need to get a "road force balance" done and I also want them to check suspension etc for any defects. *went a bit off topic haah oops*
Sponsored

Last edited:

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I went to the dealership in Puyallup on River road. I've been twice and its been a pretty good experience so far. Did have a slight blip with my new all seasons. I just noted I had a vibration in my steering wheel and they said they don't have the machine required to do a tire balance because of the Supra wheels and that they would have to do them by hand requiring 300+ dollars since my tires are not "stock"

They told me to bring my tires back to Discount Tire to get them re-balances but now I have doubts that they can even do it. I'm just going to bring my Supra into an "exotic" shop specializing on tires and suspension and get it done properly. Think I need to get a "road force balance" done and I also want them to check suspension etc for any defects. *went a bit off topic haah oops*
Thanks for the feedback. It will help future members.

I would highly recommend Right Away Tire mobile services. They work on exotics and specialty cars.

https://schedule.rightawaytire.com/

-RJM

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Had my oil changed yesterday so hopefully my oil stays at max for longer this time after the engine break in.

I was a quart low after 4300 miles, so not bad compared to some in this thread but still don't like it. I will be watching it like a hawk!
Definitely something to keep an eye on, but a quart low after 4300ish miles during break-in is not something I would worry about. The folks should worry who are adding a quart every 1500 miles and having other issues, but your situation even per the manual is normal. I really think this issue, as another poster said, is being over-analyzed. Go drive your car and enjoy it!

Branflakes123

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Refraction Blue
I found my oil consumption to be inconsistent. One oil change resulted in a quart in 3k miles. Not a number I'm worried about in the slightest. After a second change, oil consumption was a quart in 1500 miles. Now, latest oil change I'm 900 miles in and do not see any change to my oil level. Point is, I don't think the check oil screen is the most accurate and my oil could have started at different levels.

I am now using BimmerLink to read raw oil sensor data. So hopefully I can get a more accurate read on if consumption is inconsistent or it's just a fill level thing. My Supra is now post recall as well, but I don't think that should matter.

So far it seems like the whole oil consumption issue is being exaggerated.
I really need a correlation between oil level and oil volume so I can estimate a burn rate, but I won't be able to accurately do that until my next change. Here is the data I've collected so far.

Key:
Trip - Trip was reset at last oil change
Odo - Current mileage
Idle - Oil sensor readout on level surface, post long drive (30+ min)
This reading was always taken after letting the car idle parked for at least 5min
iDrive - The output of the iDrive oil measurement

Results so far:

10/5
Trip: 735mi
Odo: 18859mi
Idle: 91-92mm
iDrive: Full

10/6
Trip: 868mi
Odo: 18993mi
Idle: 90-91mm

10/9
Trip: 1178mi
Odo: 19302mi
Idle: 89mm

10/11
Trip: 1331mi
Odo: 19455mi
Idle: 88mm

10/13
Trip: 1513mi
Odo: 19638mi
Idle: 87mm

10/15
Trip: 1842mi
Odo: 19966mi
Idle: 86mm

10/17
Trip: 2209mi
Odo: 20334mi
Idle: 84mm
iDrive: 3/4

10/21
Trip: 2498mi
Odo: 20623mi
Idle: 81-82mm
iDrive: 1/2

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I really need a correlation between oil level and oil volume so I can estimate a burn rate, but I won't be able to accurately do that until my next change. Here is the data I've collected so far.

Key:
Odo - Current mileage
This reading was always taken after letting the car idle parked for at least 5min

Results so far:

10/5

10/6

10/9

10/11

10/13

10/15

10/17

10/21
This is the Golden Data Iā€™ve been looking for.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/oil-level-analysis-with-ecutek.10943/#post-157887

-RJM

DFB7320B-43D2-493A-9A13-0EF1095C3DC1.jpeg

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra. 2018 Mazda Miata RF. 2020 Range Rover.
Had my oil changed yesterday so hopefully my oil stays at max for longer this time after the engine break in.

I was a quart low after 4300 miles, so not bad compared to some in this thread but still don't like it. I will be watching it like a hawk!
Mine was at 4,500 miles when my oil light came on.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black

Key:
Odo - Current mileage

Results so far:

10/5

10/6

10/9

10/11

10/13

10/15

10/17

10/21
Put this shit in google drive so we can make a pivot table.

Tripjammer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra Premium 3.0
Oil lite came on mine after I think 2500 miles after the first oil change. Mine is one where you canā€™t check the oil level it stops at 18 percent when checking also the min oil level warning will come on even if your canā€™t check oil level just so yā€™all know. My dealer is checking that issue and they know about the min oil issue. Took it to the dealer to get it topped off and they have no GR Supra oil so I got to wait they said you have to put in ooo they says Supra on it or it might void your warranty so I am just waiting for them to get sold GR Supra oil in. They also had to order a new cable they use to connect the Supras to the computerā€¦.waiting for that too because they want to connect Supra to computer and toyota to solve the unable to check oil level. My car is probably fucked but we will see. I got warranty so I am not worriedā€¦.most of the toyota dealers donā€™t know Jack shit about the Supras. NO GR Supra oil anywhereā€™s. Some dude was trying to get the 10k mile service and they got no oil for himā€¦oil might come in tomorrowā€¦.how can you not have any oil stashed? Donā€™t make sense

SupraLeggera

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0
. NO GR Supra oil anywhereā€™s. Some dude was trying to get the 10k mile service and they got no oil for himā€¦oil might come in tomorrowā€¦.how can you not have any oil stashed? Donā€™t make sense
Probably supply chain issues like everything else right now.

And/or the 2021 GR Supras are literally burning through their limited supplies of that oil...?

Tripjammer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Probably supply chain issues like everything else right now.

And/or the 2021 GR Supras are literally burning through their limited supplies of that oil...?
Dealer said if my engine blows up I am covered under warranty lol! Of course I am! I even got the extended warranty but damn toyota just fix my stuff? Why your 2021 Supras got to burn so much oil and why come yā€™all canā€™t keep limited Gr Supra oil in stock when their really ainā€™t that many GR Supraā€™s out there. Shit is ridiculous! Itā€™s like they donā€™t really care. If this was Porsche or Ferrari or even chevy I think they would care more about this.

also I was talking to a different service advisor and he said it was a known issue that all Supras have a possible oil level sensor issue defect so even if your car says whatever in the oil level itā€™s probably wrong. When the computer tells you itā€™s a quart low itā€™s probably a quart low but even then it might not be but I think it is. None of these service advisors are in sync with each other or toyota! Toyota ainā€™t even in sync with BMW. Shit is all suspect!

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Dealer said if my engine blows up I am covered under warranty lol! Of course I am! I even got the extended warranty but damn toyota just fix my stuff? Why your 2021 Supras got to burn so much oil and why come yā€™all canā€™t keep limited Gr Supra oil in stock when their really ainā€™t that many GR Supraā€™s out there. Shit is ridiculous! Itā€™s like they donā€™t really care. If this was Porsche or Ferrari or even chevy I think they would care more about this.

also I was talking to a different service advisor and he said it was a known issue that all Supras have a possible oil level sensor issue defect so even if your car says whatever in the oil level itā€™s probably wrong. When the computer tells you itā€™s a quart low itā€™s probably a quart low but even then it might not be but I think it is. None of these service advisors are in sync with each other or toyota! Toyota ainā€™t even in sync with BMW. Shit is all suspect!
I think the "oil burning" issue is being blown out of proportion, but I do absolutely think there is an oil sensor level issue we'll eventually see a recall for. I really, really wish Toyota would have put a dipstick in this car... at the very least as a backup.

Tripjammer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think the "oil burning" issue is being blown out of proportion, but I do absolutely think there is an oil sensor level issue we'll eventually see a recall for. I really, really wish Toyota would have put a dipstick in this car... at the very least as a backup.
Bro no bmwā€™s have dip sticks there is no way toyota was gonna do this. There is a oil burning issue but is burning a quart of oil every 2500 miles an issue? I think they is bmw normal I think some cars have issues and there is a oil level sensor issue my oil level sensor does not work but the car still knows how much oil it has because it will tell you when itā€™s a quart low and when itā€™s below the minimumā€¦

there will be a recall I am gonna make sure of that gonna go through the pain for all of yā€™all. A lot to people just gave up but yeah I think itā€™s mostly with the oil level sensor and burning 1 quart every 2k mile is within normal.

2020 models donā€™t have this issue though

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Bro no bmwā€™s have dip sticks there is no way toyota was gonna do this. There is a oil burning issue but is burning a quart of oil every 2500 miles an issue? I think they is bmw normal I think some cars have issues and there is a oil level sensor issue my oil level sensor does not work but the car still knows how much oil it has because it will tell you when itā€™s a quart low and when itā€™s below the minimumā€¦

there will be a recall I am gonna make sure of that gonna go through the pain for all of yā€™all. A lot to people just gave up but yeah I think itā€™s mostly with the oil level sensor and burning 1 quart every 2k mile is within normal.

2020 models donā€™t have this issue though
Definitely possible, although I don't think the actual sensor changed between the models. However the head (and more importantly gasket and oil paths), as well as the tune did - so I think that's the more likely culprit. Possibly a bit more blow-by, possibly some tiny leaks, possibly a bit more burn... don't know. I do know in 27K miles I've never had to add any to mine, and it's never said anything other than MAX level even at the one change I let go almost the whole 10K (for science). ;)

I guess ya gotta pay for that "free" extra HP somehow... and looks like the "toll" is oil consumption.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
When I change oil or get a new car, I normally buy a liter or 2 for the addition of oil if needed. Find an oil that meets spec. You dont need a dealer to top if the fk off if you are not using oil out of spec.

Tripjammer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Definitely possible, although I don't think the actual sensor changed between the models. However the head (and more importantly gasket and oil paths), as well as the tune did - so I think that's the more likely culprit. Possibly a bit more blow-by, possibly some tiny leaks, possibly a bit more burn... don't know. I do know in 27K miles I've never had to add any to mine, and it's never said anything other than MAX level even at the one change I let go almost the whole 10K (for science). ;)

I guess ya gotta pay for that "free" extra HP somehow... and looks like the "toll" is oil consumption.
Yep we got junk engines and toyota knows this they just donā€™t know how to fix it or how to remedy the situation. I wonder if that 2022 are any better?
Sponsored