Chris Harris on GR Yaris and Supra.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Although I do not fully agree or disagree with what he said, I do believe there is a perfectly healthy middle ground between 100% BMW parts and 100% Toyota parts to represent the best of what Toyota has to offer while sharing development costs. To be clear this is not a BMW complaint, I think the partnership is great, but the car tries too hard to represent prior Supras (the tuning culture around Supras in particular) and not Toyota as a whole.

The GR Yaris does represent Toyota and will draw sales to future G16e models such as a potential GR Corolla and GR C-HR. The Supra draws my attention to the M340i and makes me excited for the upcoming M2 which will be a 2+2 Z4 hardtop with a 6mt. That isn't what halo cars do, they are supposed to draw attention to other cars in the lineup, not another manufacturer's lineup.
Sponsored

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
I love Chris Harris

But anytime I've seen the Supra, I feel like I'm in love

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
I think Toyota should ban Chris Harris as well.
Quote courtesy of Wikipedia:

Controversies
Ferrari
Harris was banned from reviewing Ferrari cars on 2 February 2011,[29] after writing an article titled, "How Ferrari Spins". In his article, he criticised the firm for trying "to win every test (review) at any cost"[30] and called it a "profoundly irritating" brand.[30] He also gave his opinion that an automotive journalist is forced to please Ferrari with a positive review in order to maintain a relationship with the brand. Though he was technically banned from reviewing Ferrari cars, Harris was still able to review several Ferraris unofficially. In late 2013, Harris and Ferrari reconciled,[31] and he has since officially reviewed many Ferraris.

Lamborghini
In 2014, Harris was banned from reviewing Lamborghini cars, because of an article he wrote entitled "Lamborghinis Are The Perfect Cars For People Who Can't Drive", in which he criticised many characteristics of the Lamborghini brand, saying their "future is bleak".[32] Harris stated that the brand "can't support its looks with adequate (driving) dynamics".[32] He also noted several Lamborghini malfunctions: in one case, as he was driving, "the brakes (on the Lamborghini) caught fire".[32] Consequently, Lamborghini ended the relationship with Harris.[33] Harris has recently (as of December 2017) started reviewing Lamborghinis again by driving the Lamborghini Huracán under his Chris Harris Drives brand hosted by Top Gear.[34]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Harris_(journalist)

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
In a more perfect world, I'd like see all of the JDM legends return with updated/throwback looks, similar specs but with a more power, more analog interior and an great emphasis on lightweight. I know the NHTSA and EPA restricts won't allow for certain 90's designs (MKIV Supra and NSX NA1/NA2 low dashboards, thin A pillars, lower swooping front bumpers) to become possible but I like what Nissan is doing with the 400Z. I like the simplicity of the interior but the exterior can be take some getting used to. I like how they are going with a more simple approach and hopefully this will kickstart Toyota.

You'd be surprised that 911's can be had for less then a MKV Supra. It's a whole different driving feel.
Speaking of JDM. I would really like to see Toyota make another mid-engine like the MR2.

What do you prefer about your 911 over the Supra?

You bring up a good point about a used 911. Especially if anyone is planning on modding a brand new Supra where the warranty might be compromised. Different story for anyone wanting the security of new car warranty. You would be trading new car depreciation for Porsche maintenance and repair cost. The 2009-2012 911 depreciation is not bad. Most used 911s in the new Supra price range I would buy are the 997 series. Preferably a 2009+ 997.2 for peace of mind to avoid the rare IMS issues.

I have owned several 911 models from the 70's- modern. All were fun to drive in their own unique way. The rear end wiggle of the Supra is nothing compared to the lift over steer of a early 911 on throttle lift. lol. A good used 911 is a lot of fun if you can find the right car. A mid-engine Cayman S, Boxster S or Spyder is even better bang for the buck in my opinion. I remember when I owned a 2011 997.2 911 C4S optioned with Sports Chrono and PASM suspension. A friend bought a new 2013 Cayman S with the performance options. We were both at a track day and swapped cars for several sessions. I thought his Cayman S was more fun to drive. It did not have the light steering and front end lift of the 911 under load. Not as powerful but the Cayman had much better balance and felt a lot more agile. The interior was a lot nicer too. The Cayman felt more refined.

Most modern Porsche are VERY confidence inspiring to drive. They have super communicative chassis, telepathic steering- road feel, exceptional brake feel/modulation that is fade free. Then there is the excellent visibility and seating position that is more forward then most cars. The Supra feels a lot larger because of the seating position. It's easier to place a 911, Cayman/Boxster because of the seating position, excellent visibility and fender bumps. I think those are definite advantages over the Supra. Porsche has those advantages over 99% of cars not just the Supra.

Though I am still shopping, I think a brand new Supra with a brand new car warranty is a LOT of bang for the buck for what it offers. Most importantly peace of mind as far as a warranty is concerned. A Supra would make a nice garage mate next to a Porsche or any other car.

It's great to have choices.

Last edited:

joshthorsc

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2021 GR Supra
Would have to agree with Chris Harris on this one.

ogun228

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Turbulence gray Premium Supra
" You'd be surprised that 911's can be had for less then a MKV Supra. It's a whole different driving feel. "

Yes true that.

and "
Most modern Porsche are VERY confidence inspiring to drive. They have super communicative chassis, telepathic steering- road feel, exceptional brake feel/modulation that is fade free. Then there is the excellent visibility and seating position that is more forward then most cars. The Supra feels a lot larger because of the seating position. It's easier to place a 911, Cayman/Boxster because of the seating position, excellent visibility and fender bumps. I think those are definite advantages over the Supra. Porsche has those advantages over 99% of cars not just the Supra."

Also very true...I have owned 2 911 S, a '05 and '09.

I traded the '09 for the 3.0 2021 Supra Prem... The confidence inspiring 911's are handling masters; this is a given. 997's are now creeping up in price probably because new 911's are well north of 120k...A new Carrera S optioned like the A90 Premium is above 150k. Factor in the cost of maintenance and the Supra easily makes its own case.

Before I got the Toyota, I shopped for a well optioned new 911 S and I had to regrettably walk away at the 165 k price...Hello Supra!

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Whenever someone tries to tell me the old Supra is better than the new one, I'm like...

Hmmm, well lets see, the new one is:

-faster
-lighter
-stiffer
-better balanced
-handles/corners better
-brakes better
-better traction/hooks up better on the strip
-cheaper
-better mpg
-safer
-more luxury features
-smoother on the road
-quieter
-easier to mod (can't spend $1k on downpipe and tune to get 500 hp on the old one like you can on the new)

But they're mad because "iT wAS mAdE in ThE wROng FacTORy" which is subjective anyways

like ok bro have fun with that lol, you miss the point if you're hung up on that and you're fun at parties I bet

Plus most all people who say that are 16 year old kids on the internet who have old Honda civics

JAhmed

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0
Whenever someone tries to tell me the old Supra is better than the new one, I'm like...

-faster
-lighter
-stiffer
-better balanced
-handles/corners better
-brakes better
-cheaper
-better mpg
-safer
-more luxury features
-smoother on the road
-quieter
-easier to mod (can't spend $1k on downpipe and tune to get 500 hp on the old one like you can on the new)

But they're mad because "iT wAS mAdE in ThE wROng FacTORy" which is subjective anyways

like ok bro have fun with that lol, you miss the point if you're hung up on that and you're fun at parties I bet

Plus most all people who say that are 16 year old kids on the internet who have old Honda civics
impressive rant

OP
OP
JustaCarguy.

JustaCarguy.

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 WRX Hatchback
I don't understand Chris Harris's strong take on this. When has he ever been a Toyota or huge japanese car guy.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i

-faster
-lighter
-stiffer
-better balanced
-handles/corners better
-brakes better
-cheaper
-better mpg
-safer
-more luxury features
-smoother on the road
-quieter

None of this is relevant since Chris Harris does not take a stance on the old Supra vs new Supra.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
Speaking of JDM. I would really like to see Toyota make another mid-engine like the MR2.

What do you prefer about your 911 over the Supra?

You bring up a good point about a used 911. Especially if anyone is planning on modding a brand new Supra where the warranty might be compromised. Different story for anyone wanting the security of new car warranty. You would be trading new car depreciation for Porsche maintenance and repair cost. The 2009-2012 911 depreciation is not bad. Most used 911s in the new Supra price range I would buy are the 997 series. Preferably a 2009+ 997.2 for peace of mind to avoid the rare IMS issues.

I have owned several 911 models from the 70's- modern. All were fun to drive in their own unique way. The rear end wiggle of the Supra is nothing compared to the lift over steer of a early 911 on throttle lift. lol. A good used 911 is a lot of fun if you can find the right car. A mid-engine Cayman S, Boxster S or Spyder is even better bang for the buck in my opinion. I remember when I owned a 2011 997.2 911 C4S optioned with Sports Chrono and PASM suspension. A friend bought a new 2013 Cayman S with the performance options. We were both at a track day and swapped cars for several sessions. I thought his Cayman S was more fun to drive. It did not have the light steering and front end lift of the 911 under load. Not as powerful but the Cayman had much better balance and felt a lot more agile. The interior was a lot nicer too. The Cayman felt more refined.

Most modern Porsche are VERY confidence inspiring to drive. They have super communicative chassis, telepathic steering- road feel, exceptional brake feel/modulation that is fade free. Then there is the excellent visibility and seating position that is more forward then most cars. The Supra feels a lot larger because of the seating position. It's easier to place a 911, Cayman/Boxster because of the seating position, excellent visibility and fender bumps. I think those are definite advantages over the Supra. Porsche has those advantages over 99% of cars not just the Supra.

Though I am still shopping, I think a brand new Supra with a brand new car warranty is a LOT of bang for the buck for what it offers. Most importantly peace of mind as far as a warranty is concerned. A Supra would make a nice garage mate next to a Porsche or any other car.

It's great to have choices.
Def a great thing to have options. I still want to build a long hood and hopefully the prices for project rust buckets would come down.

You've covered the question that you asked me. The very tight crisp and heavy steering of a 911 along with open view due to the low slung hood are also excellent benefits. They just feel proper, tight and checks off all of the boxes.

The larger IMS has a 1% failure rate and the 997.2 DFI have their fair share of issues; LSPI, faulty injectors and even bore scoring.

I like the Cayman as well too and being a more mid engine, 2 seater, it's a blast but I prefer the rear seats/larger cabin of the 911.

" You'd be surprised that 911's can be had for less then a MKV Supra. It's a whole different driving feel. "

Yes true that.

and "
Most modern Porsche are VERY confidence inspiring to drive. They have super communicative chassis, telepathic steering- road feel, exceptional brake feel/modulation that is fade free. Then there is the excellent visibility and seating position that is more forward then most cars. The Supra feels a lot larger because of the seating position. It's easier to place a 911, Cayman/Boxster because of the seating position, excellent visibility and fender bumps. I think those are definite advantages over the Supra. Porsche has those advantages over 99% of cars not just the Supra."

Also very true...I have owned 2 911 S, a '05 and '09.

I traded the '09 for the 3.0 2021 Supra Prem... The confidence inspiring 911's are handling masters; this is a given. 997's are now creeping up in price probably because new 911's are well north of 120k...A new Carrera S optioned like the A90 Premium is above 150k. Factor in the cost of maintenance and the Supra easily makes its own case.

Before I got the Toyota, I shopped for a well optioned new 911 S and I had to regrettably walk away at the 165 k price...Hello Supra!
Wow, you went from a 997.2 to a MKV. Very interesting on the trade. 997.2 are ramping up in price if it has the right build with GTS' almost fetching new MSRP.

I would own a MKV regardless if it was built out of Austria. I just felt like the car didn't impress me. It felt like I was sitting at a 45 degree angle, the A pillars were huge like a tank, the hood bulge was blocking my perf, the steering wheel was very light and not as connected to the ground, the exhaust and engine sounded very fake, blind spots were horrific, the stereo and infotainment was weak, handling around the canyons felt bland, shifting was good but not that impressive like a PDK, FR engine dive was noticeable. I couldn't fathom dropping 55K on one.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
I would own a MKV regardless if it was built out of Austria. I just felt like the car didn't impress me. It felt like I was sitting at a 45 degree angle, the A pillars were huge like a tank, the hood bulge was blocking my perf, the steering wheel was very light and not as connected to the ground, the exhaust and engine sounded very fake, blind spots were horrific, the stereo and infotainment was weak, handling around the canyons felt bland, shifting was good but not that impressive like a PDK, FR engine dive was noticeable. I couldn't fathom dropping 55K on one.
True, and all of it makes sense. But I feel it's a bit biased when comparing the A90 to a 911 though.

I'm curious as to what would be a justifiable NEW sports car or "sports car" purchase under $60K would be.

I researched quite a bit when I had my BRZ. So yes, I am stepping up and not down from a 911 to a Supra. I couldn't find anything else after countless test drives from dealers, friends and Turo that would've made me happier than after driving the A90.
Sponsored