Chris Harris on GR Yaris and Supra.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
I can't seem to watch the video, is it a meme or is it just a clipped part of his review?
Try copying the title/link and reopening it in a new tab or window. It worked for me that way. :thumbsup:

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
There's an easy answer to all of this. And an answer for Mr. Harris.

If Toyota made their own engine, it would simply not be as good. BMW makes the best straight 6 engines in the world.

Do I care if it says BMW on every panel?

Nope.

Do I care about having the best possible straight 6 under the hood?

Goddamn right I do!

ChupaKoopa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005Supercharged Tacoma, 2014 turbo brz
He can't get his bmw kickback if he says toyota built a better bmw. Nothing compares right now to the supra imo unless you spend 85k+. Used market is even better value. It has some issues at the limit but thats the point of tuning a car.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
He can't get his bmw kickback if he says toyota built a better bmw. Nothing compares right now to the supra imo unless you spend 85k+. Used market is even better value. It has some issues at the limit but thats the point of tuning a car.
I wonder if this is part of it. The only car that BMW makes that is comparable performance wise to the Supra is the M2 Competition. And even then the 2021 Supra is faster in the 0-60 and the 2020 beat it by a few tenths of a second in a head to head. The M2 C is also about 10-15k more than the top level trim Supra. A lot of people believe that the M2C is the best drivers car bang for your buck thats out there (i did too at one point as i owned one), but when you compare it to the Supra, the Supra clearly comes out ahead in so many ways.

I think that if he were to praise the Supra, he basically would be saying that Toyota just made a better M Car than BMW.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
He is definitely questioning the identity of the car and no where has he mentioned the car isnā€™t a good car nor has he mentioned Toyota developing their own inline 6.

The Supra being the best car M car is exactly his point since Supras were never known as Japanese M cars.

To further extend his opinion, he is saying no one would question the identity of a hardtop Z4 as a Supra if a hardtop Z4 was produced instead of a Supra. Instead they would just be praising BMW for returning to form. This isnā€™t a bad thing, but he is saying a Supra is more than just the orientation of 6 cylinders.

ChupaKoopa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005Supercharged Tacoma, 2014 turbo brz
He is definitely questioning the identity of the car and no where has he mentioned the car isnā€™t a good car nor has he mentioned Toyota developing their own inline 6.

The Supra being the best car M car is exactly his point since Supras were never known as Japanese M cars.

To further extend his opinion, he is saying no one would question the identity of a hardtop Z4 as a Supra if a hardtop Z4 was produced instead of a Supra. Instead they would just be praising BMW for returning to form. This isnā€™t a bad thing, but he is saying a Supra is more than just the orientation of 6 cylinders.
I agree and to be fair he does praise the car in a very backhanded sort of way but at the end of the day he is basically upset that there isn't enough toyota in the bmw. Anyone buying this car knows this and obviously it doesn't matter to them, so who is his audience here? Seems more like trying to find something wrong. His quote "Iā€™d have an Alpine over this eight days of the week." So instead of writing about the positives which he glosses over he highlights the negatives which if the DNA of the car is youre only gripe then honestly get over it bc its a well designed car.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I agree and to be fair he does praise the car in a very backhanded sort of way but at the end of the day he is basically upset that there isn't enough toyota in the bmw. Anyone buying this car knows this and obviously it doesn't matter to them, so who is his audience here? Seems more like trying to find something wrong. His quote "Iā€™d have an Alpine over this eight days of the week." So instead of writing about the positives which he glosses over he highlights the negatives which if the DNA of the car is youre only gripe then honestly get over it bc its a well designed car.
His audience is Toyota. By not praising the car he is telling Toyota he does not support their decisions behind this car. He does not say that he is against the partnership, he just says there is too much BMW for it to be considered a Toyota by critiquing the interior, oversteer qualities, steering feel, and sound.

Red-hat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86, 370Z
Which begs the question why anyone who doesn't own a Supra posts here at all.
Because we like sports cars? ;)

I joined up because I was following the Supraā€™s development for years, and I was hoping to upgrade to one when it came time to move on from my 86. Unfortunately, the eventual launch price in my country (AU$100k) was more than I was willing to drop on a sports car at this stage in my life (whilst paying off a mortgage etc). So I nabbed a 370Z for less than half that price and got at least 80% of the fun IMO.

Iā€™m still a fan of the Supra and may consider one in a few years when Iā€™m debt free and can justify such a purchase via mid-life crisis status. :D

Oh yeah, and I love Chris Harris video segments and reviews as entertainment, especially anything shot by Neil Carey, but I take his opinions on affordable sports cars with a healthy pinch of salt. The guy rags on and claims to be unimpressed with 3 of the best sports cars regular working class folk can aspire to own... the MX-5 Miata, 370Z, and Supra. I guess when you get given supercars and hypercars to drive on a weekly basis and daily drive your very own 911 GT3 Touring, most affordable, blue collar sports cars seem mediocre. Good for him. Down here in the cheap seats, the Supra is a fantastic sports car.

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
No contest on the price point. If Toyota built the Supra from the ground up, it would have been LC-500 price range and then some. They compromised with BMW and this is the result. Like I said, it is what it is and is. Chris Harris is telling it how it is (that it's predominantly BMW) and you seem to be upset at that.

The Yaris is a turd and a half and it's available on their lineup. Toyota GR took that turd and polished it.
I think it could have been less then that if they had reskin the RC to look like the FT1 and carry over that new turbo six from the LS500.