Dealer Added Krex During Oil Change

Optimusprimerib

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 manual base
Took my car to the Toyota dealership for its first oil/filter change. They added a lubricant called Krex. Google tells me it’s snake oil. Anyone have any insights about it?

IMG_0005.jpeg
Sponsored

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
JFC i'd be pissed if they added some crap like that.

Also, knowing how RO's are created at dealerships, I bet they didn't put anything in.

Change your own oil.

Tsuki8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 3.0 AZ BM3 E50 WMI
In the owner's manual, oil additives are not recommended.
Up to you however you wish to interpret, YMMV.

1688883380417.png

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
A dealer did this to me once. It's like the good old wiper blade replacement scam.

After the first time it happens to you, you will never let it happen again. I suggest showing the stealer the manual and at the very least have them refund whatever they charged you, if not flush it out.

Then find a new dealer.

RaceReX

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium, 2009 SRF
Whether you paid for it or not, I would respectfully request that they flush and change the oil and filter after you show them the specific wording in the manual.

a dealer should never “install” something in your car you did not request.

period

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
Took my car to the Toyota dealership for its first oil/filter change. They added a lubricant called Krex. Google tells me it’s snake oil. Anyone have any insights about it?

IMG_0005.jpeg
Did oil capacity increase for 2023 or for manual models? That receipt shows 8L.

Isn’t capacity supposed to be 6.9L? My 2020 Premium has always gotten 7L.

Turcktech

First Name
Esat
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 supra
Hoping they will really change it. I am always suspicious about this things 💁‍♂️

Lonestar_Nomad

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘23 GR Supra Premium MT
Hoping they will really change it. I am always suspicious about this things 💁‍♂️
There is no “hopefully” here. They performed work not prior approved by the customer, and directly against the recommendations of the vehicle manufacturer. You should absolutely raise hell about this if you get any pushback to a full engine flush.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Yeah. I'd be concerned. I don't mess with my engines. Especially by adding stuff I know nothing about.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Man, I really wish I could get even just $1 for every time I get reminded why nobody, absolutely nobody, works on my car other than me.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Man, I really wish I could get even just $1 for every time I get reminded why nobody, absolutely nobody, works on my car other than me.

Most dealerships try to convince people that doing their own maintenance will void the warranty, so they usually do what they can to prevent dealing with a potentially sticky situation.
Plus, it's tempting to let someone else take care of maintenance so you don't have to do everything, all the time.
I would love to, but everyone but me messes my cars up. So, I do all the important stuff.

Bigboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 civic FK7 sport, supra 3.0 premium
Does anyone ever have a good experience with Toyota dealership’s handling this car???
Im definitely bringing this to bmw for service when i have to i dont care if I pay more

OP
OP
Optimusprimerib

Optimusprimerib

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 manual base
Thanks for the responses. Was hoping someone had direct experience/knowledge about this Krex thing. Consensus seems to be any/all additives are bad. I won’t be taking my car to the dealer in the future for any oil changes even tho first two are included. I was also a little confused about the 8 liters…anyhow, This all just put me over the edge about mods. Since I no longer trust the dealer who is the only dealer in town, I am no longer worried about any future warranty work since I won’t take it back to the dealer anyway. Time to modify stuff.

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
Graphite in oil has been around for decades. Arco actually used to sell Arco Graphite which was basically their normal conventional oil with graphite added to reduce friction. It wasn't on the market very long. I don't think their adding Krex to your oil is a reason to panic. I'd be surprised if they agree to give you a free synthetic oil change but it doesn't hurt to try. In researching Krex they seem to target dealerships so obviously both parties are profiting. It is also rather bizarre that as part of the Krex graphite in your crankcase you receive complementary roadside assistance (which you already have through Toyota) for 180 days.
Sponsored