Did the Sport Z just kill off the Supra 2.0?

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I cant speak for everyone, but for myself and what seems like a lot of others, it was the whole last year about how our "shitty bmw" is going to be destroyed by the "Supra Killer" named Z. Thats all its been, Z is going to blow the Supra out the water, Z is going to be way cheaper and better, Z this and Z that... I personally love that they have it. i like the car except the grill which im sure ill get over. but its the constant the Z is the Supra Killer crap for over a year that i think brought this to a boil. Now all a sudden its, well the Z was never a straight line car, and if IF the Supra beats it on the track itll be more tires excuses, more its cheaper at a base price, its a GT car was never designed to go against the Supra, thats the GTR's job crap....
Who cares man? Since when has the opinion of children on the internet ever had any bearing on a car's actual capabilities.

MKIV Supra guys always talked shit about GTRs, Camaro guys talk shit about Mustangs, 86 guys talk shit about Miatas, blah blah blah. That will never change.

For the rest of us who actually like driving cars instead of just talking about them, all of those cars are awesome in their own way. The Z is no different.
Sponsored

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0L Premium, buncha Miatas, others....
Right, but it's still $3k less which is more than enough for an aftermarket LSD.
What's stoopid is they don't just make it an option for $750 or whatever - they'd still make a profit on the option when it gets installed at time of manufacture.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I think the Supra 2.0 will survive, there is still a strong market for it in other countries who are taxed to death on the 3.0 because of environmental sanctions.

-RJM

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Like I said in another thread, depends on what you want.

If you want the maximum amount of horsepower per dollar, base Z.
BUT, you get nothing besides that. If you want some luxury and comforts, and sporty equipment, the 2.0 Supra gets an LSD, better interior, etc.

I'd go 2.0 without a doubt.
No LSD on 2.0

Elektro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
17 i3 94ah, 22 Supra 2.0
I thought 2.0 was mechanical lsd vs 3.0s electronic lsd.
At least that's what all the reviews I've seen said.
Not in the usa.

In some markets there is 190 hp super basic model and 255 hp 2.0. The 190 has open diff and the 255 has mech lsd.

In the usa we get 255 hp with all of it's interior options and features and open diff. It would be a reasonable swap (if you needed an lsd with 255 hp and 275 width tires?)

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra. 2018 Mazda Miata RF. 2020 Range Rover.
The Chinese market is very important to car manufacturers. This is one of the reasons Porsche went with a 2.0, and probably Supra as well. Anything over 2.0 in China will cost way more for insurance. I read that if it wasn't for the sales in China, the Cayman wouldn't exist with a 2.0.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
US market is an unfortunate spec with the open diff. Other markets get the LSD.
Why would they do that? It's honestly baffling to me, just make the base $41k with an LSD and I suspect it would sell much better. I think they were just trying to force it under the $40k bar and had to start stripping off everything they could to get it there.

saik

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium Tungsten
Not in the usa.

In some markets there is 190 hp super basic model and 255 hp 2.0. The 190 has open diff and the 255 has mech lsd.

In the usa we get 255 hp with all of it's interior options and features and open diff. It would be a reasonable swap (if you needed an lsd with 255 hp and 275 width tires?)
I did not know this, there's a 190hp GR Supra in the world!?

Roman

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR B48
Here's my take. I love the design of Supra. I am very disappointed to how much of a BMW the new Supra is. To a point where I wanted to get out of mine. I am a 2.0 owner. I told myself that I would only buy MK5 Supra if it came with this motor. Fast forward to 1 year ownership, and I have a deposit on a 3.0, because I want more.

and thats the thing with 2.0. If you want something "more" then a Mitata/GR86 + spending $10-15k on them to get them to a 2.0 level - by all means do so. It really is a great car. I love it handles and how "not over the top" the speed is. You can still VERY easily hit the "I'm going to jail" speeds in less then a few seconds. For most people on the road, 2.0 is going to be MORE then plenty. And its perfomance is on par with other cars that have similar engines.

I want 3.0 because with 2.0 I learned that, even though I am not the biggest BMW fan, the new Supra is pretty much everything I could possibly want in a sports car. Its 8spd gearbox, even being an auto, is amazing. Every now and then I wish I had a manual in it, but those times are far in-between at this point.

If anything and you don't want a baby-supra, the GR86 is a GREAT looking car. I was at my Toyota dealer, and they had one on the lot, same color as my 2.0. and it honestly made me stop for a few seconds and consider it.

I'm just grateful that these manufacturers still make these amazing machines. So what that they have different motors, gearboxes, their perfomances are so close to each other, and you have SO many options, just pick one you think looks the best for your buck and dont look back.

I dream of the next 2k LBS 2 seater like a Lotus Elise/Exige, but chances are we will never see another car like that. So enjoy what we have while we still can. Because all this EV stuff is coming and it doesn't look that great ...

little edit: I am a HUGE fan of old TVR cars, old Datsuns and 1st gen Toyotas from late 60's and early 70's, and in my eyes, the Supra body lines pay SO much homage to those cars, that not a single manufacturer is doing that today. Its long nose, short ear, "wide" looking fenders ... I dont even care about fake vents.

OP
OP
You Drive

You Drive

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Red LE, C8 Corvette Z51 Torch Red, M3C
Only reason the 2.0 existed was to provide tuners a motor so the car could be driven to a shop to have it ripped out and replaced with a 90's Japanese motor.
o_O
Sponsored