Did they make the new builds quieter? Just got mine. No crackles.

2k20HTownMKV

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra; 2017 Lexus RX 350 F sport; 2013 Honda Accord (daily)
Vehicle Showcase
It’s official. The exhaust has been neutered for 2021.

wait didn't Guff get a 2.0?
Thank God they got rid of that garbage. One of the first things I was going to try and do when I get my 2021 is tune out the pops and bangs. Can't stand that shit. One of the worst trends to come about in the last ten years.
you can remove some of the pops and bags with a tune. I know the BM3 OTS 2.2 doesnt sound nearly as bad as stock, although dont forget to remove active sound on it too thats probably the most annoying thing about new cars is piping in sound.
Sponsored

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 3.0 for a week, and then a 2.0 for another week. The 3.0 is still the same volume decibel wise, but without the pops and crackles, it sounds much more tame. For reference, the pops are not totally gone, they are just significantly reduced. Again, this is just a tune thing!

2.0 sound video should be out shortly.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
so when they say the 2020 is louder in the US compared to other markets - are they talking exhaust volume or just the silly crackles

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
so when they say the 2020 is louder in the US compared to other markets - are they talking exhaust volume or just the silly crackles
When I turn my sport button on & off the flap doesn't move & the exhaust note doesn't change apart from the crackles & pops, thats a tuning input

At idle when my valve is shut & then opens then is no increase in exhaust noise at all

Its like the US one has less baffles than our ones so the exhaust can bypass some of the muffle with the flap open.?

Would probably need to cut one up to see

a90moe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Definitely different exhaust system and louder volume. Also different valve logic

When I turn my sport button on & off the flap doesn't move & the exhaust note doesn't change apart from the crackles & pops, thats a tuning input

At idle when my valve is shut & then opens then is no increase in exhaust noise at all

Its like the US one has less baffles than our ones so the exhaust can bypass some of the muffle with the flap open.?

Would probably need to cut one up to see
Exactly

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Other markets also have another filter in the exhaust the U.S. cars don't have.

Curious if an aftermarket catback on the '21 will bring the crackles back.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
It's dumb, but those pops make the car a lot of fun in my opinion. I know others disagree, but hopefully it's easy enough to get them back in the 2021 cars.

a90moe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Other markets also have another filter in the exhaust the U.S. cars don't have.

Curious if an aftermarket catback on the '21 will bring the crackles back.
Only EU cars have a GPF/OPF

Other regions just have a quieter muffler. I changed my exhaust and pops now are LOUD

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Only EU cars have a GPF/OPF

Other regions just have a quieter muffler. I changed my exhaust and pops now are LOUD
I see. So many differences in the same car lol. Maybe the '21 in the U.S. gets the muffler you did :dunno:

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
I see. So many differences in the same car lol. Maybe the '21 in the U.S. gets the muffler you did :dunno:
I don't think so, there is a noticeable sound difference on the US car at idle with valve on & off, there isn't on mine

I will have to have a play in the weekend manually operating the valve

scolaiw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
See signature
Aussie spec valves stay open no matter if sport mode is one or off. I assume because we got a slightly quieter exhaust, Toyota decided to just leave the valve open all the time. Now that I have switched to a louder exhaust, my comfort mode driving is super loud all the time lol.

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
Now that I have switched to a louder exhaust, my comfort mode driving is super loud all the time lol.
That is what is concerning me, couldn't stand a rowdy exhaust all the time, the Supra isn't an old VB commodore full of Bro's

Apparently I can change the valve actuation with BM3, going to have a play.

What exhaust did you put on ?
Sponsored