Disabling Active Sound Design without Coding

halfwaytillbliss

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 1999 GS 400
Thank you for the write-up! For anyone else that got stuck, you can see the panel that must come out first before accessing the (2) T20 screws here in KillxPoint's pic:
panel.png

It is held in by 3 clips, I used a prying tool to get the left two clips out first.

It feels so much more immersive driving without the synthetic noise, not that I even thought it sounded bad. But the fact I could hear the sounds behind me as if the car were mid-engine was really jarring. With windows up, you can still hear plenty of the pops in Sport mode without the ASD. This is a MUST imo.

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
Just to give you a heads up this causes a hidden code go off. It wont be on the dash but if you bring your car to service they will see it of they plug there obd2 senor into the port and check.

Klee101

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0
Just sport mode....
Thx for the good post, you mentioned that ASD is only active in sport mode. Just making sure, So.. even if you disable the ASD cable, in the normal mode, will not make any difference? In other words, in normal mode the sound is 100% natural?

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Thx for the good post, you mentioned that ASD is only active in sport mode. Just making sure, So.. even if you disable the ASD cable, in the normal mode, will not make any difference? In other words, in normal mode the sound is 100% natural?
yup...ASD is only active in sport mode

Italy3541

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
So I tried this and I have no audio. I have a 2021 without premium sound Iā€™m guessing this only works with the premium JBL system. Because once I unplugged the module I lost all my audio

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
So I tried this and I have no audio. I have a 2021 without premium sound Iā€™m guessing this only works with the premium JBL system. Because once I unplugged the module I lost all my audio
From reading some BMW forums this is because on the non JBL system (HK on BMWs), the sound is sent via optical connection to the amp and the amp does the mixing there. On your car and mine (Jarama edition) the signal is instead analogue over regular electrical cables, and passes through the ASD module before hitting the amp.

I'm installing an ASD delete harness this weekend to try and eliminate hiss that I believe is being introduced by the ASD module even after coding ASD off. This will disable ASD even if I coded it back on, by simply not passing the audio signal through the ASD module at all, while keeping the lines connected that are required for the car to recognise that the ASD module is present. Effectively it's the same as unplugging the ASD module but without breaking the audio connection, so sound should still work.

I'll report back once I've tried it.

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
ASD delete harness works. Bit fiddly to install is all. No idea if it would allow software updates to it to work still. Didn't solve my hiss issue so took it off again.

Reactions: B54

drave199

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2016 Ram Diesel
Does anyone know if there is a fuse that can be removed for the asd specifically? Sounds to easy to be true. I see in the manual thereā€™s like 10 fuses that relate to the media but canā€™t find what they each do.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Another option to consider in disabling the Active Sound Design (ASD), that doesn't require having to recode the ASD module using Bimmercode, is to simply unplug the ASD module...This only takes 15~20 min to remove 2 panels, unplug the ASD module, and reinstall panels...And best of all...It's free and doesn't require purchase of Bimmercode or OBDII module...

Unplugging the ASD module will not cause any error codes to occur as the ASD module only receives signals...The ASD module doesn't send any signals back onto the can-bus line...
I just did this--thank you for this writeup!!! I got stuck at the same place others did, so it's helpful to read the whole thread first.

I do wish Toyota just made ASD an option accessible through the Vehicle Settings menu like other BMWs. :dunno:

That said, like others, I am kind of stunned at quiet the car is without ASD, and how much better audio sounds in sport mode. My car has an AA catted downpipe but my Supra is still about as quiet as my wife's Audi. I'll have to do something about that soon.?

Last edited:

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
Heads up if your ASD is unplugged you canā€™t get the recall update......... ask me how I know!! ?
Hahaha... I wish I saw this before I got the safety recall ECU update.

Unplugged the ASD amp months ago and forgot about it. Got the car back and suddenly remembered that someone mentioned this causes a hidden code to be thrown. Drove it in Sport on the way back home and that droning ASD bass was back.. the technician definitely had to reconnect it.

Unplugged it again once I got home and just took the damn thing out while I was at it. Wonder if this would affect anything other than a factory ECU update.

Maybe now my car will go faster since it's a couple pounds lighter. ?

syndragore

First Name
Amitoj
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0 Premium
I've seen mentions that disabling ASD improves the sound quality of the stereo system, but if ASD is only active in Sport mode does that mean disabling ASD would not make any difference to the quality of the stereo in Standard/Comfort mode? Or does it improve across the board?

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
BTW you can easily try this for yourself, especially on the fly, if you have BimmerLink...
Listen to any music and just toggle ASD on/off thru BimmerLink.
ASD doesn't make wonders. It's not the greatest stereo to begin with, but apply Tadda's tweaks and disable ASD, you improve it....