Experiences with temporary paint protection for road trip

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
Check out https://roadtriptape.com/ I think that's what I'm hoping to end up going with vs the tracwrap.
I can’t see any details on width and length of a roll of that stuff. So difficult to tell if it’s a better value proposition. Why are you considering it over the tracwrap?
Sponsored

OP
OP
EvilMKV

EvilMKV

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tundra TRD Pro, 2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
I can’t see any details on width and length of a roll of that stuff. So difficult to tell if it’s a better value proposition. Why are you considering it over the tracwrap?
Price honestly. And i believe it's the same mil thickness. They're 3 roll pack is as much as 1 roll of tracwrap and from the reviews over read, it leaves no residue.

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 MT, '00 4Runner SR5
I would be cautious, I’ve heard of these temp PPFs pulling off clear coat in a lot of the reviews I’ve read online.

I would either:
a.) stretch your road trip out by taking lesser used side streets. Even though this takes longer, make a road trip out of it. This gives you the ability to go through the gears and rev ranges more than just cruising on the highway anyways…it’s what I did when picking up my MT from eastern Nebraska and driving back to Denver. It was actually a nice drive because I was one of very few cars through the endless farms and cornfields In NE. Didn’t follow other cars too closely. And I did a good chunk of my drive in the middle of the night when less people would be on the roads. Came back without a single rock chip after 600 miles.
B.) trailer the new car yourself
C.) use a less aggressive material, like masking painters tape layered with something like packaging tape on top. Who cares if it looks dumb if protecting the finish is important to you
d.) paying to have PPF done on the front of your car near the pickup location
E.) have your car shipped either using a dealers shipping service or hiring your own.

if you get rock chips or peel off your clear coat, that would suck.

either way, congrats on your new car!!!

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
C.) use a less aggressive material, like masking painters tape layered with something like packaging tape on top.
That is a gamble as well, unless he buys a tested & verified tape.
It's not a car but I placed painters tape over my window at home recently as it didn't shut properly. Removed it 2 days ago with loads of paint residue. Direct sunlight and heat.. I didn't care to remove it gently.
So, I'd go with proven automotive intend parts than painters tape.
Painters no problem during short AutoX but too long, could be problem. Again, which brand/model tape ...

OP
OP
EvilMKV

EvilMKV

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Went ahead and ordered the road trip tape kit. We'll see how it goes

pro-kit-1677275402762.png

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
I used the roll on protection 'Road Warrior Plus' for a friends new car... it worked great. Dries fairly clear... peals off when you want to remove it.

IMG_1184.jpeg

IMG_1185.jpeg

IMG_1267.png

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium

pro-kit-1677275402762.png

Now that I'm not looking at this on my phone I can finally see the dimensions of the tape on the packaging.

At 2" wide and 50 yards (150') long this 3 pack is a slightly better deal than the tracwrap, and if it doesn't stick as aggressively all the better. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

I used the roll on protection 'Road Warrior Plus' for a friends new car... it worked great. Dries fairly clear... peals off when you want to remove it.

IMG_1184.jpeg

IMG_1185.jpeg

IMG_1267.png
I found this in my search as well. Sounds like it works fine if applied correctly.

Mako Reactor

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Subaru WRX STi
Hmmm that road warrior plus looks like a great option. I may use that when I go pick up my new Supra next week for a 550 mile drive. Thanks for the recommendation!

anyone have experience using it on a Supra?

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
I would be cautious, I’ve heard of these temp PPFs pulling off clear coat in a lot of the reviews I’ve read online.

I would either:
a.) stretch your road trip out by taking lesser used side streets. Even though this takes longer, make a road trip out of it. This gives you the ability to go through the gears and rev ranges more than just cruising on the highway anyways…it’s what I did when picking up my MT from eastern Nebraska and driving back to Denver. It was actually a nice drive because I was one of very few cars through the endless farms and cornfields In NE. Didn’t follow other cars too closely. And I did a good chunk of my drive in the middle of the night when less people would be on the roads. Came back without a single rock chip after 600 miles.

I've made the trip on two lane roads from Denver through Nebraska (and a bit of Kansas) on the way to Des Moines and vise versa a couple of times. The problem I ran into was oncoming semi truck traffic. They often carried a mini "dust storm" of road debris behind them that pelted the hell out of my Miata. Those two trips added plenty of rock chips on my bumper and hood, and plenty of pocks on my windshield.

I'm curious what route you took? I'm assuming you didn't encounter this. I'll be picking my car up from Lincoln Nebraska.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Well done 👏🏼
I should have done something like that before my 1st track day. My PPF guy (Detail Freaks) wasn’t happy. But my PPF turned out well and only my wife or the Detail Freak owner can tell the few little marks on her 😂. Which is saying a lot for a track car

Razors Edge

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
A spot that’s overlooked is the rear doors, rocker and quarters. The wheels kick back rocks and slices the paint. I literally drove mine home, then from home to my guy to do paint correction, full car PPF and ceramic coating for the bugs tar and sticky bullshit. On the way to my guy (45 miles total) a rock sliced my rocker panel paint. He did a great job to coverup/blend it, as I wasn’t getting it repainted with less then 100 miles on it.

I haven’t had an issue since and there are multiple spots where the PPF has taken some damage but the paint underneath is perfect. Well worth every penny spent.

Razors Edge

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
I definitely considered that, but it's so much cheaper (in gas alone) for me to just rent a car a drive it up there and drive back. My wife also requested no towing trip this time. Lol Plus, with us turning this into a vacation trip breaking in the car, not having to deal with the logistics of stopping with a trailer since we're doing an overnight in Atlanta and Bristol before we get to the dragon.

All future trips up to the dragon/track will be on a trailer since my friends do the same, and I've already got my own trailer hehe

Screenshot_20221118-164816_Gallery.jpg
Nice Miata!! My sons hardtop just got stolen parked at our house here in CA. I’m pretty sure the thieves followed him home, because he came home at 3:35 am, they stole it around 3:55 am and a neighbors camera caught them driving away at 3:59 am, unfortunately no plates.

OP
OP
EvilMKV

EvilMKV

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Now that I'm not looking at this on my phone I can finally see the dimensions of the tape on the packaging.

At 2" wide and 50 yards (150') long this 3 pack is a slightly better deal than the tracwrap, and if it doesn't stick as aggressively all the better. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
Yeah, I'm thinking at that size it will be easier to handle for install. So we'll see. The price and the reports of leftover residue of the tracwrap was not my favorite, which caused search for different options.

Also, if the tracwrap sizing is more whats needed, get it from the original, its WAAAAY better priced. https://www.trakktape.com/
Sponsored