High turnover on MKV Supras?

STSGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Hi all,

I've been a long time lurker on this forum and have been considering purchasing a MKV Supra. However, I've noticed that there are a lot of these cars on the used car market with people selling them less than a year after initial purchase, and sometimes even before the break in period is complete (<1200 miles).

As current or previous owners, do you all have any thoughts on why this may be?

If anyone here has sold theirs shortly after purchase, I'd appreciate hearing your experience and reason for selling. Does the car not live up to the hype or were there things that made it difficult to live with?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Snorlax27

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 1995 E36 M3
Hi all,

I've been a long time lurker on this forum and have been considering purchasing a MKV Supra. However, I've noticed that there are a lot of these cars on the used car market with people selling them less than a year after initial purchase, and sometimes even before the break in period is complete (<1200 miles).

If anyone here has sold theirs shortly after purchase, I'd appreciate hearing your experience and reason for selling. Does the car not live up to the hype or were there things that made it difficult to live with?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Iā€™ve owned my 2020 GR Supra for nearly a year and have 0 regrets on my purchase. Seeing as used car prices are rising and some people are struggling with making ends meet due to the virus, Iā€™m not surprised that the used market is so hot right now.

The Supra has been out for almost 2 years now, so just like any other sports car, itā€™ll be more common seeing them on the used market nowadays. I wouldnā€™t even be surprised if some of those were just leased. Either way, I am very satisfied with my purchase:thumbsup:

SupraYYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
However, I've noticed that there are a lot of these cars on the used car market with people selling them less than a year after initial purchase, and sometimes even before the break in period is complete (<1200 miles).

I expect it's mostly due to rich people who can afford to take the hit on depreciation and transaction costs just to try something new. Same thing happens with Porsches.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I expect it's mostly due to rich people who can afford to take the hit on depreciation and transaction costs just to try something new. Same thing happens with Porsches.
I stopped by a Nissan dealership the other day that had a used 2021 GTR with 900 miles. The sales guy said some rich kid bought it got bored and traded it in for a used GT3 they had.

So yeah rich people problems.

-RJM

starman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0P
Pretty much what people above said, (it's also quite common for people to sell cars as that main warranty expiration date nears)..

...but I'd like to add, right now we're living in unusually odd times. Currently, due to the computer chip shortage, many new cars have haulted production. That combined with many returning to work due the shut down las year, equals high demand of new cars, with low supply.

So, it's a seller's market, you can actually get more money on trade in, selling to dealer (including vroom or Carvana), or selling privately, and not lose too much depreciation right now. This is something that almost never happens and people are taking advantage (I sold my M2 a few weeks ago and actually made money). So expect to pay a premium for a used car right now. (most dealers don't seem to want to budge on pricing of a new car either at the moment).

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
Its called youtube OCD.... :thumbsup: :D

Back on topic...

You'll learn to love/hate the supra.
But give it some time and love...

and then be prepared to be spoiled rotten and ahhh yes the looks...
Polarising, pointy and perfecto.
Be3tter in person than online ..

Welcome to the FastnFurious club...
and don;t forget the NOS ...E85 , turbo and tune.... :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
I also think people fall in love with its looks and make the spontaneous purchase... then soon realize it may not be the most practical car.

Additionally... I think some feel the car is simply a challenge for them to get in and out of.

I love mine with no regrets! The Supra is a daily driver with the exception of winter/salt months when itā€™s parked.

Bundy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra A90, 2021 Subaru Outback
Bought by many ā€kidsā€ and when the car is no longer the latest buzz on YouTube it is time for something else to get more views/likes.

Nothing wrong with the car, more the crowd it attractsā€¦

cte21

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I believe the high turnover is a unique combination of the initial hype wearing off, changing economic circumstances over the last year, the power bump for the 2021 model year, and the used car market being so hot. Like others have said, you can sell your car right now and not lose a lot on the sale, which would make a ton of sense if you're itching to to try something else.

For me, I've had mine for 18 months and have every intention of keeping it for a very long time. It's my fun weekend car and not my daily, but comfortable enough for daily duty if needed.

OP
OP
STSGT3

STSGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks everyone for your responses! I definitely agree it's a sellers market right now. I recently sold my toy (2009 Viper ACR) to take advantage of the market too, so I can understand that POV.

I saw another post here a few days back where another supra owner (@whozaka) was comparing his supra to his previous 2006 Viper and I thought that was interesting.

It's interesting to me that several of you bring up the Porsches. I've been debating holding out for a reasonably priced GT4 or going with the Supra. The Porsche market (along with other used cars) is ridiculous right now.

I've always owned m/t sports cars, and I enjoy the driver engagement of a m/t. From what I've heard, however, the ZF8 transmission in the Supra is great. Unfortunately, in my area (DFW, TX), none of the Toyota dealers will allow a test drive for me to decide if I would enjoy the Supra or "get bored" with the automatic/paddle shift.

starman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0P
..... Unfortunately, in my area (DFW, TX), none of the Toyota dealers will allow a test drive for me to decide if I would enjoy the Supra or "get bored" with the automatic/paddle shift.
That's ridiculous! I vintage rare or a 100k+ car i can understand, but a Supra? I'm sorry to hear that :/

OP
OP
STSGT3

STSGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That's ridiculous! I vintage rare or a 100k+ car i can understand, but a Supra? I'm sorry to hear that :/
I agree 100%! I even told one Toyota salesman that I don't care what car it is, at the end of the day you forget that we're still standing in a Toyota dealership!

I can understand you are trying to limit the "tirekickers" just looking for a joyride, but you should be able to evaluate the seriousness of potential clients.

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
When I first joined this forum, I remember seeing posts from a few people saying that after a few weeks, they realized getting in and out of the Supra was starting to wear on them. Its easy to fall into it for the test drive, but running errands or daily driving isn't for everyone. Most of these were older folks so its understandable. The ones that keep it tend to either be used to it (me) love it to put up with its drawbacks or have a daily that they can get in and out of easily.

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I see you have a BRZ. I owned a 2020 BRZ for a year and did everything I wanted to do with it during the course of a year and as others noted it's a seller's market - I basically owned and drove the car for the cost of taxes, insurance, and fuel (plus whatever mods I put on it). With a good discount on a Supra, it was the right opportunity for me to switch.

The BRZ was a car I've wanted to own but could not back in 2012/2013, so when I heard 2020 was the last year for it I certainly felt the need to experience the car as well as ownership. To me, the Supra is not a BRZ upgrade, it's just a different two door sports car. If the world was a bit different, I'd probably still have the BRZ because the steering wheel diameter, steering feel, chassis feel, consumables cost, emergency rear seats, good cargo capacity, and relatively low curb weight are all the things the Supra does not possess and that I value.

The weakness in the BRZ for me was not the engine power or the torque dip (I owned the AT and on track and on the street it picks the right gear and is responsive for an old torque converted trans), but the sound and reliability when tracked (yes there's mods that help). Unpopular opinion, but Boxer motors are not my jam - even in Porsches. The straight 6 in the Supra or unique 5 cyl engines in other cars sound way better to me...and of course if you can or want to swing it, larger displacement engines are great sounding but typically weigh a ton.

So as you're debating buying a Supra, just realize that if you're getting rid of your BRZ, stock for stock, you're losing out on rawness, feel, and cargo/people capacity of the BRZ and gaining a crap ton more of power, a totally different sound track, and a whole lot more technology.

My last note is visibility - the BRZ for me had a better seating position and a much better view out than the Supra. I am hopeful car designers will begin to lower the belt line around these new cars cause the extremely tall dashboard of the Supra makes it a pain to look out of all around as well as if you drive in hilly areas/driveways, the visibility over the hood for the crest of the hill is horrible. I'll likely run over a small child well before I or the car's camera would spot them. If you can keep both cars, you probably won't regret it, but I don't have as much of a desire to switch out of the Supra than I felt with the BRZ now that I've done all of the exact same activities as I did in the BRZ.
Sponsored