High turnover on MKV Supras?

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Everyone has their own reasons for letting go their Supras. The one’s Ive seen on here were due to growing families and losing the means to afford a Sunday driver type car.

As for me I’ve always wanted a Supra ever since I saw the MK4 in a dealer showroom back in the day. I couldn’t afford the $40K price tag back then and wasn’t about to wait another 18 years after the MK5 run for the Supra to be offered again.

I’m not planning to get rid of this car anytime soon. Its too much fun and will bring a smile to your face every time you open the garage door.

-RJM
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I just want to point out, in addition to the market situations, of course, that just because you saw 10-30-50 Supra's for sale doesn't mean the other 50,000 people aren't happy with their purchase..

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
From what I've seen most people buy this car thinking it'll be their daily.. while not impossible, it's just not practical.
I think a few people have sold to buy something like a Porsche instead.
What do you mean it's not practical? The Supra works just fine as a daily, as long as you have a larger secondary car for hauling things or driving in bad weather.

The Supra has changed my perspective. I used to be a "boring daily" + "fun weekend" kind of 2-car guy, but I've since flipped that into "fun daily" + "boring grocery getter". Why waste all of your driving time in a boring car just so you can have some fun on the weekends, when you can spend 99% of your driving time in a fun car and save your boring car for the rare cases that you need it?

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Unfortunately, in my area (DFW, TX), none of the Toyota dealers will allow a test drive for me to decide if I would enjoy the Supra or "get bored" with the automatic/paddle shift.
The first Toyota dealership I tried wouldn't allow test drives either. I ended up convincing them to let me drive it if I submitted a credit application first to prove that I was both serious and capable of buying the car. The second dealership I tried didn't give a shit, they handed me the keys and told me to go get lost somewhere and then use Google Maps to find my way back when I felt like it. I bought the car from the second dealership.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
What do you mean it's not practical?
Well any 2 seater is impractical for so many reasons.. babies/kids/storage. but one shouldn't even come near 2-seaters if they have concerns with them anyhow. but of course like few on the forum, they bought it then got baby news.

cte21

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Unfortunately, in my area (DFW, TX), none of the Toyota dealers will allow a test drive for me to decide if I would enjoy the Supra or "get bored" with the automatic/paddle shift.
My dealer tried this on me as well, claiming that these were limited production and a "collector's car". They relented when I reminded them that 1) it's a premium, not a launch edition and 2) there were 3 others in the exact same spec at other nearby dealers, all of whom I'm sure would be willing to take my money.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well any 2 seater is impractical for so many reasons.. babies/kids/storage. but one shouldn't even come near 2-seaters if they have concerns with them anyhow. but of course like few on the forum, they bought it then got baby news.
Sure, it's definitely impractical if it's your only car, but he was saying it's impractical as a daily. "Daily" implies that you have a second car, at which point those single-car drawbacks don't really apply.

"Impractical as a daily", to me, means that it's harsh, loud, unreliable, bad in stop and go traffic, terrible gas mileage, and otherwise a PITA to drive every day, which isn't at all the case.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
I think for most people the car is just a toy - so they buy it and think they are going to drive it and just don't and end up selling it.

OP
OP
STSGT3

STSGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
@gcmak, thank you for the very extensive and honest feedback. I've heard that they are very different cars too. I was considering selling the BRZ if I bought the Supra, but now I'm not too sure the Supra would give me the same enjoyment that the BRZ does. I do love the feel and responsiveness of the BRZ steering and chassis.

Honestly, I will have to keep trying to find a dealership that will let me test drive one. I was just curious as to why there were so many on the used market after such a short period of time, and if that was any indication of the car itself.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Also here locally several dealership managers/owners bought the first Supras to hit the market. They put miles on them and now are selling them.

-RJM

OP
OP
STSGT3

STSGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
What do you mean it's not practical? The Supra works just fine as a daily, as long as you have a larger secondary car for hauling things or driving in bad weather.

The Supra has changed my perspective. I used to be a "boring daily" + "fun weekend" kind of 2-car guy, but I've since flipped that into "fun daily" + "boring grocery getter". Why waste all of your driving time in a boring car just so you can have some fun on the weekends, when you can spend 99% of your driving time in a fun car and save your boring car for the rare cases that you need it?

Practicality isn't really my concern :p We have another fun, yet practical vehicle for family duty (TRD Pro 4R).

This car would just be for fun "daily" duty. The ACR (while a blast to drive) fell into the PITA category which @suicidaleggroll mentioned - stiff, poor gas mileage, horrible in traffic, no cargo space, and just in general the paranoia factor of parking it anywhere. I found myself taking out the BRZ a lot more often because it was more fun to drive on normal roads than the ACR. This is the category I'm hoping for in the Supra.

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
Was offered what I paid for my 21 so no surprised on the flips. Personally I'd only sell for a 22, just to have the 22. Otherwise no way. I'm keeping this thing. It's a beast specially tuned

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
I bought mine at the news of having a baby. LOL. It was then or never because I would never be able to get a 2-seater once our daughter got older or if we have a 2nd child.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I've noticed this as well. I think one maybe smaller aspect of this certainly has to be the locked ECUs on most '21s and assuming on the '22s hitting the streets several months down the road. This is a $60k car (read: inexpensive in this category) that is already quick, but you can turn it into a rocket for little money if you could simply tune the ECU. I believe it is a lack of patience of some '21 owners who simply don't want to wait and have the extra income to go buy something else and take the hit on depreciation.
Sponsored