How to Improve OE Sub Bass Quality and Eliminate Vibrations

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I did the ports and foam insulation yesterday. The speaker grills and wadding I ordered should arrive tomorrow or Tuesday to finish the project. I can tell a difference and hopefully the wadding will improve it even more.

Quick question though. Has anyone tried taking the woofers out and adding the wadding through the big holes in the top rather than those tiny slats on the front? Seems like that would be much much easier and the extra room should make it easier to distribute it more evenly throughout the enclosure as well. Is there something I'm missing?
Sponsored

Last edited:

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I did the ports and foam insulation yesterday. The speaker grills and wadding I ordered should arrive tomorrow or Tuesday to finish the project. I can tell a difference and hopefully the wadding will improve it even more.

Quick question though. Has anyone tried taking the woofers out and adding the wadding through the big holes in the top rather than those tiny slats on the front? Seems like that would be much much easier and the extra room should make it easier to distribute it more evenly throughout the enclosure as well. Is there something I'm missing?
So, studying the exposed pics more closely I believe I see the answer. I thought it was just an open enclosure but it looks more like a very shallow "box" the woofers are in that sits on top of the actual enclosure with just a couple slats for the air to pass through. Still curious if anyone has looked into it and how difficult removing the top panel is. Those top slats are at least bigger and could make it easier to work the wadding where you want it.

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
It would easily add 3~4x the time and effort...Not sure why everyone is struggling with the wadding...It was fairly straight forward for me....

Also if you don't want to take the time to do the "fold / insert / unfold" technique through one of the 3 elongated front port holes you can always tear the wadding into small pieces and "loosely" stuff the cavity....do not overstuff the cavity as this will reduce bass response...

Here is a pic with woofer removed to give you an idea as to what it would still take in install wadding from the top (under the woofer)

Sub enclosure padding 2.jpg

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
Kudos to Tada for posting this. I did this over the weekend and with EQ adjustments the audio is much improved. Bass is slightly deeper but definitely cleaner.

I used loose Polyfill (sold at Walmart for $2-3 dollars) to stuff the enclosure. Super easy and works really well.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
It would easily add 3~4x the time and effort...Not sure why everyone is struggling with the wadding...It was fairly straight forward for me....

Also if you don't want to take the time to do the "fold / insert / unfold" technique through one of the 3 elongated front port holes you can always tear the wadding into small pieces and "loosely" stuff the cavity....do not overstuff the cavity as this will reduce bass response...

Here is a pic with woofer removed to give you an idea as to what it would still take in install wadding from the top (under the woofer)

Sub enclosure padding 2.jpg
Thanks for the pic and confirming my thoughts after studying your previous pics more closely. I guess it's the borderline OCD in me. I like things to be precise, straight, level, basically perfect... In this case, though, generally close will be just fine and even if you somehow could get it in there "perfectly" it won't make a difference in sound quality.

Also really appreciate the time you took to provide such excellent instructions and pics!

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the pic and confirming my thoughts after studying your previous pics more closely. I guess it's the borderline OCD in me. I like things to be precise, straight, level, basically perfect... In this case, though, generally close will be just fine and even if you somehow could get it in there "perfectly" it won't make a difference in sound quality.

Also really appreciate the time you took to provide such excellent instructions and pics!
I am definitely OCD as you can probably tell by my overly detailed writeups!...Also probably why I was able to fit the wadding perfectly up against the interior walls...patience also helps immensely while fitting the wadding perfectly up against the walls although I agree that perfection is not required to get desired results....

svit

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Can you remove the small panel ( to port) without removing the whole subwoofer section?

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Can you remove the small panel ( to port) without removing the whole subwoofer section?
Yes.. the small narrow rear panel is the only panel you need to remove.

mdemo

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Tiguan
For anyone in the South Florida area that’s interested. I can sell the speaker wadding and foam already cut to specs for $30 which is already cheaper than you would spend online on these items and without the wait. Also cuts out most of the work.
Would you be able or willing to ship? And if so how much?

Twundy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
uwgtb.com
Car(s)
Land Cruiser 200 Series, '21 Supra
@tadda how much did adding the Dynamat actually help with cabin noise? I'm starting to regularly notice the high level of road noise in our Supras. Wonder if changing from the Michelin PSS to all seasons could also help with road noise.

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@tadda how much did adding the Dynamat actually help with cabin noise? I'm starting to regularly notice the high level of road noise in our Supras. Wonder if changing from the Michelin PSS to all seasons could also help with road noise.
Noticeable difference...

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I am definitely OCD as you can probably tell by my overly detailed writeups!...Also probably why I was able to fit the wadding perfectly up against the interior walls...patience also helps immensely while fitting the wadding perfectly up against the walls although I agree that perfection is not required to get desired results....
Thanks for this thread tadda! I got everything finished up last week but had a two day autocross over the weekend so this is my first chance to come back to the forums. The results are excellent. I had an hour and a half to/from the autocross both days. Those 6 total hours on the interstate were very enjoyable. I thought the factory system was very good before but it's REALLY good now. The low frequencies are much cleaner. Also, it seems the mids and high frequencies are also clearer now as well. I'm guessing I just didn't realize the vibrations and muddiness impacts everything and once reduced everything becomes cleaner. So, again, thanks.

Here is a pic. I decided to go with tweeter covers rather than ports and also cut similar two inch holes in my Weather Tech liner. Really like the result.

trunk 1.jpg
Sponsored