How to Make the Supra as Loud as it Looks?

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
The Aussie supra is quiet as shit with the valve open. In sport mode, it's open all the time except for higher gears on the highway, iirc. We have a different muffler to the USDM market.

The 2023 models are even quieter than the first release 2019 models.

I've got the Tomei Type D on my 6MT and I fucking love how it sounds. Not as loud as my other Supras, but you can hear it, and it's fine on the highway.
Sponsored

SupraGTS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra GTS MT6
Greetings, also from Australia. Took delivery or my Manual Supra last week and you are right. It is waaaaaaaaaay to quiet.

I've just ordered a Active Autowerke catted downpipe for it... They guarantee no CEL. But it wasnt cheap. I paid $3,000 for it.

I've also ordered an MST intake with turbo inlet to get me some spoolie sounds.

Can let you know what difference it makes once installed. Or if you are in Sydney you can take a look at the car.

IMG_8333.JPG

GRMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Too many
The Australian version has a different muffler than the US so it is much quieter. Luckily there is no OPF like the EU version which robs even more sounds

If I live in the EU (great roads but shit emmissions & sounds standards for enthusists) won’t bother to own a Supra, with that Corolla Hybrid soundtrack and heavily detuned B58

The easiest and cheapest way to get the sound back on the Australian Supra is to get rid of the muffler

OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Greetings, also from Australia. Took delivery or my Manual Supra last week and you are right. It is waaaaaaaaaay to quiet.

I've just ordered a Active Autowerke catted downpipe for it... They guarantee no CEL. But it wasnt cheap. I paid $3,000 for it.

I've also ordered an MST intake with turbo inlet to get me some spoolie sounds.

Can let you know what difference it makes once installed. Or if you are in Sydney you can take a look at the car.

IMG_8333.JPG
I'm not in Sydney but would appreciate your feedback on it! Looks like I'll have to do something like this as its just not acceptable the way it is.

SupraGTS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra GTS MT6
The Australian version has a different muffler than the US so it is much quieter. Luckily there is no OPF like the EU version which robs even more sounds

If I live in the EU (great roads but shit emmissions & sounds standards for enthusists) won’t bother to own a Supra, with that Corolla Hybrid soundtrack and heavily detuned B58

The easiest and cheapest way to get the sound back on the Australian Supra is to get rid of the muffler
What specifically is different about the exhaust?

GRMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Too many

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
Interesting. Is it much louder with the valve open?
Speaking to my particular car, which is 100% stock '23 6MT except for the cat-back and has the aFe resonator delete, it's decently louder with the valve open. At interstate speeds (70+ freedom units, in the hundreds of science units) there is some drone but hitting the sport mode button to close the valve makes it quiet. Perfect.

I found this video of the AFE exhaust with decibel meter readings included. Louder with the valves open, but maybe not a ton more than stock.
The aFe Takeda has a middle resonator included, which given that video made no mention of I'm assuming they have it installed. You can buy a $80 delete pipe from aFe like I did, and then it's basically a straight-pipe with the valve open (yes I'm aware the Y with the muffler for the quiet side of the exhaust is doing some attenuation.)

Everything is V-banded so it's stupid easy to swap between the resonator and straight pipe as well. It's a good design.

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR 3.0 Premium
Someone should post stock 21+ exhaust clip from the aussie land. Interested to know the difference than u.s/canada

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
Speaking to my particular car, which is 100% stock '23 6MT except for the cat-back and has the aFe resonator delete, it's decently louder with the valve open. At interstate speeds (70+ freedom units, in the hundreds of science units) there is some drone but hitting the sport mode button to close the valve makes it quiet. Perfect.

The aFe Takeda has a middle resonator included, which given that video made no mention of I'm assuming they have it installed. You can buy a $80 delete pipe from aFe like I did, and then it's basically a straight-pipe with the valve open (yes I'm aware the Y with the muffler for the quiet side of the exhaust is doing some attenuation.)

Everything is V-banded so it's stupid easy to swap between the resonator and straight pipe as well. It's a good design.
Ahhh. Nice. Good to know.

OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
This does sound like exactly what I am after. Freedom units.. hehehe.

Someone should post stock 21+ exhaust clip from the aussie land. Interested to know the difference than u.s/canada
I'm interstate for a while but when I get back I'll see what I can do.

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
I know a lot of people hate burbles and pops but the MT as delivered in Australia is disappointingly quiet. I've turned off ASD because ASD is stupid and even in Sports mode it is disappointingly quiet. I mean this car looks the part but my just sounds way too timid.

What is the cheapest and easiest way to make this car sound the way it looks?
Catless DP will make it loud af.

I have Catless DP and Magnaflow exhaust. If I use the straight pipe setup, it shakes the earth on cold start. And it's not quiet other than idle maybe.

AJRMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Manual Supra
Indeed.

For b, you'll want an exhaust that retains the valve and also has a meaningful difference between the quiet side and loud side. A lot of Supra exhausts (including the OEM one, bizzarely) really don't have that much difference with the valve.

I'm a big fan of my aFe Takeda with their resonator delete so far. It gets nice and quiet with the valve closed.
I have mbrp, and there’s a big difference between valve closed and valve opened.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
What specifically is different about the exhaust?
The rear muffler has a different part number, which matches the EU Supras. I haven't cut it open but suspect it has more baffles.

AU is a bit of a mix, it has the US-spec engine and mid-pipe, with no exhaust filter, but the rear muffler is EU spec.

Tomei Type D with the OE cat sounds fantastic on the manual, not to mention the 12kg weight saving :D

Cold start is pretty loud, but that's a minor concern.

OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
The rear muffler has a different part number, which matches the EU Supras. I haven't cut it open but suspect it has more baffles.

AU is a bit of a mix, it has the US-spec engine and mid-pipe, with no exhaust filter, but the rear muffler is EU spec.

Tomei Type D with the OE cat sounds fantastic on the manual, not to mention the 12kg weight saving :D

Cold start is pretty loud, but that's a minor concern.
Is it street legal in the nanny state.. and do you know of any local purchase/install options?
Sponsored