If you could will you do it all over again?

MrNobody

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Trdoffroad 4runner
I bought this as a toy... so yes i would do it over again. But at the same time you know how toys go, You get bored of them after a while.
Sponsored

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I feel like I have a pretty bias opinion about cars and have owned a lot of really high end cars in that 50-100 price range.
03 - IS300
08 - STI
15 - M4
18 - GT350 (exploded, ford buyback)
18 - M3 Individual (Couldn't stand exhaust note... s55 tt sounds like balls)
95 - Supra MKIV 3.4 stroker 6870 and t56.. forever..
17 - GT350 (still have, dads buying it)
13 - FRS K24 Swap (fast but meh)
02 - Supercharged Stroker S2000 (really good car, still have it)

And now I have
23 - Supra P-MT and its the BMW I've always wanted but they couldn't figure out.. the B58 has the right sound.

I've got a pile of parts coming for my car, the worst things about it are user choice.. (suspension, shifter bushings.. exhaust.. turbo sounds)
All that flexin'.. forgot to answer the question. :p

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I did and loved every minute of it.
20221023_161627.jpg

IMG_20230401_125735_541.jpg
Glad you were okay and replaced her! Love the pacific coast highway šŸ¤¤ but dang dudeā€¦ that sucks šŸ˜ž
1.5 years in, Yes.

Not to say there aren't issues with it uniquely to this car though. One mainly being Toyota service departments requiring "special" techs or whatever is a bit annoying but I understand why. I just wish they'd train more qualified people in my area.

Second is what someone else already mentioned, the stock suspension feels a bit number than I'm used to. It's hard for me to sense where the car rotates and when the rear might kick out. But I chalk this up to inexperience with this car. I've driven various performance cars throughout the years and I can't quite get a good feel on this one.

Anybody have suggestions on how to improve this without going too crazy with changing bushings or whatever? Springs? Coilovers? Particular alignment? Sorry not to de-rail this thread. Almost thinking out loud.
Iā€™d start with sway bars and front adjustable control arms (SPL). Go one piece at a time until you get as connected to the road as you want. It doesnā€™t take a lot. I still have the SPL bushings to install and in no rush.

https://www.splparts.com/supra-g29-2020/

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Of course!! Its a great sports car that was designed to be one from its inception.

To me the only competitors are the Corvette, 370Z, Miata, Cayman....and all of those are underpowered or overpriced.

Before the Supra, I was looking at GT-R, ZL1 1LE, GT350, used Porsche GT3 or Turbo and the weight and price along with aftermarket drew me in.

I thought the car looked dumb and small online but when you see it in person it just works.

Mine is a toy that just sits in the garage and collects dust while I tinker with it - only thing that would probably replace it would be either a street legal Supra GT4 or a Porsche GT car sometime before I die.

Donjazz

First Name
Donovan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra B48
I had a 2019 Mustang Bullitt before this supra 2.0. I love the styling of the supra pls I've got the power up with Kenji catless DP, JB4 (Jesse's E30 map), XHP stage 3 etc etc but fixing all the rattles to the point of changing the subs out on this car, felt and dynomate everywhere and taking it apart time and time and time again phew... really took its tole on me. Hard to say if I would have gotten it at this point as the dark side has clouded my vision. Maybe if I could have gotten into a 3.0 at the time I would feel differently now but geeze the rattles. It does turn more heads than the Bullitt did and well its a Supra. Every Tom, Dick and Harry has a stang around here but only 4 Supras in the area so makes it some what unique.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Having been a MKIV Supra og, die hard stick shift guy and generally anti-BMW the MKV was an ambivalent, if not cynical purchase. Definitely a FAFO moment. The performance capability out of the box and with a few parts is undeniable, which is what ultimately swayed me. It took me a bit to warm up to the car and figure out what is was all about. When I first got it and friends asked me what I thought my initial reaction was "it's weird..". A few parts and a few boring trips to the drag strip later left me wondering what's next.. After 20+ years of stick shift racing (which I was mostly burnt out on), as good as the ZF8 is, I was unfulfilled on the track and on the street. Fast forward a bit and I got invited to an HPDE event. This is where the Supra became my gateway drug -- instantly hooked and cannot get enough. Excellent platform to start with because brake pads, fluid and eventually tires is all you need to run. Thermal management is incredibly good, will run full sessions in the summer without a complaint. However, as I progressed with my driving the weak points of the stock setup started to pile up. Instead of dropping a bunch of money and hardware I decided to jump ship (and I was itching for another stick car). In an ironic twist of fate I sold the car to Toyota Motor North America for practically what I paid for it 18 months prior. They were looking for an unlocked '21 to add to the amateur race team. An engineer flew down, handed me a check and drove it back to their office. It should be out and about later this year.

So long/short -- yes, would absolutely do it again and I may end up with another at some point.

Parting thought: Toyota dealer service is fuckin garbage and by far the worst part of ownership.

LanceW

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium
Not sure if I would or not to be honest. I do enjoy the Supra, especially the power/torque. I traded in my 22 GR86 and still find myself missing it at times. Much different car I know, but there was something about the 86 that always made me smile.
The BMW side of it never bothered me as I still have 2 M3s.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Fast forward a bit and I got invited to an HPDE event. This is where the Supra became my gateway drug -- instantly hooked and cannot get enough. Excellent platform to start with because brake pads, fluid and eventually tires is all you need to run. Thermal management is incredibly good, will run full sessions in the summer without a complaint. However, as I progressed with my driving the weak points of the stock setup started to pile up. Instead of dropping a bunch of money and hardware I decided to jump ship (and I was itching for another stick car).

So long/short -- yes, would absolutely do it again and I may end up with another at some point.

Parting thought: Toyota dealer service is fuckin garbage and by far the worst part of ownership.
So spot on! Iā€™ve got a friend who loves to track as well. His Z51 should be here any day. He can afford the extra $$$ in consumables. Itā€™s a great choice! As for me, itā€˜s really had to find a better track car for the money. Affordable parts, fun, fast as hell, and under $60k if you shop around. Absolutely fantastic!

Zero regrets. Iā€™ve had the Supra for 2 plus years and now at 8,000 miles. Iā€™d still buy the same car again today! It remains special to me with each drive.
Yup. Same boat šŸš¤. You nailed it Andrew!

Last edited:

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
So spot on! Iā€™ve got a friend who loves to track as well. His Z51 should be here any day. He can afford the extra $$$ in consumables. Itā€™s a great choice! As for me, itā€˜s really had to find a better track car for the money. Affordable parts, fun, fast as hell, and under $60k if you shop around. Absolutely fantastic!

I got the C8 before I got hooked on HPDE but of course had to start tracking it as well. It's an easy car to drive on track but a challenge to really optimize. The mid-engine thing is a completely different experience with all of the weight behind you. It's definitely a new set of challenges to master. However... I really needed a stick car so I went back and forth over another C6 ZR1 or a C7 Z06. I really wanted a C7 ZR1 but they're unobtanium. The Z is an absolute missile and surprisingly easy to drive.

Track capable bang for the buck definitely goes to the Supra. I'm hoping they can refine the manual so I can get back into one. And now my wife really wants an M340i xDrive!

1683212745064.jpeg

Zcarmenb28

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Camaro ZL1, 22 Supra 3.0 (in transit)
Its road presence, its drive, motor and instant torque on command makes it unbeatable for what you're getting. When tuned, another great story.

So, yes.
The Supra doesnā€™t have instant torque. Thereā€™s definitely substantial turbo lag when compared to driving my ZL1, which has Instant torque.

I think I would have gone for a ZL1 instead of my Supra if I had to do it over again. In Canada, the Supra starts @ $69k for the 3.0P while the ZL1 is $76K (at the time I ordered the Supra, the Camaro is now $81k base with no options except the 10-speed). I knew tuning the Supra wouldn't be possible right away, but I figured someone in NA would have figured that out by now, and yet, here we are.

That said, the Supra is definitely more rare than the Camaro, but I do enjoy me some V8 noises. Tough decision, but I'm glad I don't actually have to make it.
I have a ā€˜21 ZL1 A10 and a ā€˜22 Supra 3.0. And yes, if I had to choose only 1 the ZL1 wins hands down. The Supra is fun, but the ZL1 is better objectively in every category; and just as much fun. It is ~500 lbs heavier (it has a V8 and back seats after all), but everything about it is smoother than the Supra. Smoother throttle input, brake feel, steering, handling, etc. Plus other things like I prefer the LT4 V8 in every regard over the B58 (sound, power delivery, power, etc.).

I also think the BOSE in the ZL1 sounds really good, and I do like my music when not listening to the engine soundtrack.

Not to disparage my Supra, because I do love it. I just love the ZL1 more.

Zcarmenb28

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Given my situation with the Supra being a 3rd fun only car, for the money I would pick the Supra again. Iā€™d rather have a 2019 C7 Z06 but when I bought the Supra in ā€˜22 those were $35k more expensive, so, easy decision.

If it was my only car and since I need back seats in my primary car, in the Supra price range Iā€™d probably go with a new Camaro SS 1LE or maybe Mustang GT with performance package and Magnetic dampers.

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR 3.0 Premium
The Supra doesnā€™t have instant torque. Thereā€™s definitely substantial turbo lag when compared to driving my ZL1, which has Instant torque.

I have a ā€˜21 ZL1 A10 and a ā€˜22 Supra 3.0. And yes, if I had to choose only 1 the ZL1 wins hands down. The Supra is fun, but the ZL1 is better objectively in every category; and just as much fun. It is ~500 lbs heavier (it has a V8 and back seats after all), but everything about it is smoother than the Supra. Smoother throttle input, brake feel, steering, handling, etc. Plus other things like I prefer the LT4 V8 in every regard over the B58 (sound, power delivery, power, etc.).

I also think the BOSE in the ZL1 sounds really good, and I do like my music when not listening to the engine soundtrack.

Not to disparage my Supra, because I do love it. I just love the ZL1 more.
Ehh my butt dyno disagrees. I'm sure the zl1 is nice and all, but the torque I get from the supe is pretty satisfying to me. Would definitely not call it substance lag. Also zl1 looks like every camaro out there with some add ons "shrugs"

Zcarmenb28

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ehh my butt dyno disagrees. I'm sure the zl1 is nice and all, but the torque I get from the supe is pretty satisfying to me. Would definitely not call it substance lag.
The Supra makes torque, yes, but thereā€™s most definitely some turbo lag. If you canā€™t feel it drive a PD blower V8 or naturally aspirated Chevy small block in a 6th Gen Camaro or modern Corvette.

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR 3.0 Premium
If you just want instant torque, then a ev blows everything out the water

For atleast a few seconds anyway ha.
Sponsored