In response to a locked thread about us not focusing on handling... what mods have ya'll done?

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
I have not. This is still primarily a road car so I want to keep the ability to switch between normal and sport mode. It's rare to find any aftermarket system that does that.
If you go the coilover route, KW DDC does; it is a more expensive mod though, partially for the name brand and partially for the functionality.
Sponsored

Blindspot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
After the first month's glow died off a bit and I got on the track at Area 27, I found that while the car was fine for spirited driving, it definitely needed some changes to sort out the chronic understeer and body roll. This sort of ties in with my only real disappointment in the car (besides the oil consumption): there isn't nearly enough difference between the so-called Sport mode and the normal mode. It's not loud in Sport mode and the suspension doesn't firm up enough; I'm of the opinion that I shouldn't WANT to drive it in Sport mode all the time. I know it's not a race car and not meant to be, but Sport mode should really be called, 'Slightly Louder Mode' at best. I'm considering removing a lot of sound deadening (but not carpets) and installing a plastic rear window for more noise.

I've installed a set of Öhlins Road & Track suspension and lowered the car slightly, but still tinkering with settings. There's a night and day difference between the stock and the Öhlins dampers, with a WAY more level ride, more direct inputs and feedback, and it's much rougher but still easily bearable for 6-7 hour days of driving with the gold stuff. That's exactly what I want - I want the car to be compromised for handling. It's a sports car, not a Camry.

I've also installed a square set of 18x10.5 Apex EC-7Rs, 13/15mm spacers, and Yokohama A052s for when it's dry. Most importantly, my alignment has sorted out a lot of the understeer that plagues the Supra and the car is three times as much fun to drive now that it's not pushing through every slow and mid-speed corner. Also, the wider tires and proper alignment adds more weight and feel to the steering wheel, and while I wouldn't have called it vauge before, it's now full of feedback and I can feel what's happening at the front of the car. Night and day difference, and I have much more confidence.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Thanks for the answer. Will you have to at some point? Or is the amount lowered tolerated by oem suspension components? I’m new to suspension modifications
Of course. Long-term, it's not ideal because the shock and spring should be a matched set for optimal performance. But for someone more casual like me that doesn't intend to break the bank, wants marginally better performance, and doesn't want a full-on track car, it's a serviceable solution. I would sooner move to a whole new platform like the G80 M3 or a ZLE than put in another $7-10K into the Supra though.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
Thanks for the answer. Will you have to at some point? Or is the amount lowered tolerated by oem suspension components? I’m new to suspension modifications
Look into the Eibach Z4 springs. They have a very marginal drop (.8" front and rear) so you get some drop to reduce wheel gap (it is less than two fingers), roll is reduced, but you don't sacrifice the OEM suspension feel in sport/comfort (meaning you don't have too stiff a ride in either comfort or sport and there are no issues with bottoming out/etc). Combined with adjustable endlinks and swaybars you can get the best of both worlds for street and track. I am a novice track driver (5-6 times a year on a good year). Meaning I drive my car way more on the street than the track and some of the roads here can be rough. The trade off, typically, with a track focused car is you get a much firmer car that can get more upset on bad roads.

The Camaro ZL1 1LE is a perfect example. It's an extreme track focused car with completely different suspension setup than even a track focused Camaro SS1LE (that still has magnetic dampers and rubber bushings). As a daily driver the ZLE is borderline unbearable (watch the Matt Farah One Take on Youtube with the ZLE and see how much he is bouncing around driving on the street and at one point hits his head on the roof). I test drove them several times and just could not do it here in New England. If it was 80-100%. used a track only car, sure. But when it's used 80-90% as a street car there are huge trade-offs.

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
Lmao fuck that guy. I think he just doesn’t know how to drive a Supra and found nothing useful on the forum on how to steer so he went off ?

Materia

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Lmao fuck that guy. I think he just doesn’t know how to drive a Supra and found nothing useful on the forum on how to steer so he went off ?
Maybe he was debating what the most useful mods were with someone and got tilted?

I mean I don't tune my car but I love seeing everyone on here shape their car to their own no matter the purpose.

Homie should have just made this thread instead asking what handling mods people are running.

I have the sick mod where I slap stickers on the car for weight reduction. :p

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I bought my car primarily for auto-x so power mods arent really needed. I do have a JB4 and downpipe which is about the perfect amount of power for my needs. My focus is more on handling. Main thing was stuffing the fattest tires under it as possible. Once I put coilovers on, you better believe its getting 315 up front to match the rear!

Mk5Frank

First Name
franklin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 type r, 2021 supra
RS-R Superdown Springs
aFe front sway (stiffest position) + end links
275/35 front and 305/30 rear
Cusco strut brace

Totally changed the dynamics of the car. Very obvious improvement in handling. So glad I did this.
no issues with traction control with 305/30? What size width is your Wheels also why settings did you put in the tpms settings?

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
no issues with traction control with 305/30? What size width is your Wheels also why settings did you put in the tpms settings?
No issues with traction control. I've had them aired to 38, 35, and 32. I didn't have to do anything special, as the car somehow just "learned" each time I decided to adjust PSI. I counted my blessings and didn't think too much about it.

It's worth noting that I run 9.5+25 front and 11+35 rear. I immediately the stock wheels to get a bigger contact patch.

RichSC

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 LE Supra #86, 2018 Raptor
I've been running the car this year on HKS springs and that's it for suspension mods. Did ok, could kinda drive around the areas that it was lacking in, but as pace increased found a lot of areas where such a basic setup was insufficient. Still, was good for fast-ish times at my local tracks and went out to Buttonwillow CW13 and managed a 1:57, having never driven that track.

Other mods that went on later in the year was the Verus splitter and wing and spent most of the year on 19" TE37SL and 265/295 Falken RT660. Brakes I've kept relatively simple as well, GLoc pads and Castrol SRF, that's it.

For this coming year, going to 18" Titan7 and 285 RT660 all around or 295 A052 for GTA/SLB events. Giving the Fortune Auto 510s a try with 10k/16k springs, SPL front lower control arms, monoball caster bushings, rear toe links and eccentric lockouts. Will also be adding an Eibach sway bar up front and CSG pads on all corners. Hoping with all of this I can get more front end grip to help with the front end wanting to push/understeer under high loads for tighter sections and get it more planted with less body roll so that it's even more stable for transitions and high speed sections.

Other than that, I don't have a ton of complaints with the car. It's a great package as is and only gets better as you throw parts at it and dial it in.

OP
OP
NitroYellowMKV

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Nice to see all the different setups we have, I agree this is a definitely more productive way of making a thread to ask these type of questions without insulting anyone. I agree with what someone said up top, all my mods, the springs, and the Cusco stuff and sway bars have definitely made the car very stiff and pretty uncomfortable on normal roads for daily driving, but oh well, I am young and can handle it so may as well. I remember someone saying there is a piece on top of the springs some sort of absorber that is supposed to go there that come with the eibachs but not on the H&R's that I should look into adding or replacing because that is what may be causing the super rough ride in the rear. My next step is adding some braking power. What is the best fluid and pad combo, I will also probably need rotors this year. I want something slotted and drilled for looks and maybe some additional brake cooling. I want a pad that increases braking power over stock, Do not care much abt additional dust, don't want too much more sound. And rotors have to be the same or better than stock!

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Nice to see all the different setups we have, I agree this is a definitely more productive way of making a thread to ask these type of questions without insulting anyone. I agree with what someone said up top, all my mods, the springs, and the Cusco stuff and sway bars have definitely made the car very stiff and pretty uncomfortable on normal roads for daily driving, but oh well, I am young and can handle it so may as well. I remember someone saying there is a piece on top of the springs some sort of absorber that is supposed to go there that come with the eibachs but not on the H&R's that I should look into adding or replacing because that is what may be causing the super rough ride in the rear. My next step is adding some braking power. What is the best fluid and pad combo, I will also probably need rotors this year. I want something slotted and drilled for looks and maybe some additional brake cooling. I want a pad that increases braking power over stock, Do not care much abt additional dust, don't want too much more sound. And rotors have to be the same or better than stock!
endless and csg pads

fancy rotors are a waste of $ on our platform. Want for looks? Ok

I have 30-40 track days on stock rotors Will
Replace with oem when they get too thin and warp

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
I track mine 1-2 times a month when the tracks are open around me. Coming from a Porsche 718 Cayman, this car is quicker and rewards more delicate inputs. It has trained me to be a better driver, which is why I wanted it.

So far, I have done the following for track performance:

- HKS adjustable lowering springs
- Apex EC-7R 18x10.5” wheels (squared)
- 275 RT660 tires (switching soon)
- CSG C21/CE1 brake pads
- Castrol SRF brake fluid
- SPL front lower control arms
- SPL sway bar end links
- aFe front sway bar
- track alignment (-3.1 front, -2.5 rear)

Going in next will be a bucket seat, harness bar and harness for more confidence through turns. Stock seats and bolstering suck for track days. SPL caster bushings after that and then some aero.
Sponsored