Status
Not open for further replies.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
I don't doubt you considering unless Toyota gave you a lot of hush money to lower your criticism of its upcoming car, SOMETHING must have caught your attention to make you 180.

All fingers are pointing to that release in Tokyo Auto salon. Exciting times are ahead. :)
Hehe....I have said too much already.

If I can give any reputable advice, it would be to WAIT....the introductory cars are not what "most of us" will want. That being said, the last thing I will hint at is that Toyota is VERY WELL AWARE of Supra fans reactions up to this point ;).
Sponsored

Supra21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mercedes Benz C250
Hehe....I have said too much already.

If I can give any reputable advice, it would be to WAIT....the introductory cars are not what "most of us" will want. That being said, the last thing I will hint at is that Toyota is VERY WELL AWARE of Supra fans reactions up to this point ;).
That's what I wanna hear ;)

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
There were rumours of a 3 cylinder with about 250 hp also, if toyota is making their own sick engines , the future is brighter than we though maybe.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
That "very well aware of reactions" comment by Performancesound - the lack of a MT has been the factor that has generated the most negative feedback (aside from the "it's not a Toyota" talk which Toyota can do nothing about) - if so a MT is almost certainly coming, just not immediately.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
That "very well aware of reactions" comment by Performancesound - the lack of a MT has been the factor that has generated the most negative feedback (aside from the "it's not a Toyota" talk which Toyota can do nothing about) - if so a MT is almost certainly coming, just not immediately.
I think the manual transmission implementation was pretty clear when the GR race car had three pedals :D.

Interesting, we saw a glimpse of the BMW engine in the camo'd Supra at Goodwood....but never saw an engine in the GR race car :hmm: ;).

Last edited:

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW
That 3.5L v6 twin turbo has a chance to be a powerplant.

Heywood220

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
13 FR-S, 22 Tundra, 93 325i
In todays Automotive News they have an article about the Supra where Tada said "the GR division is currently developing several of its own sporty engines for production cars." Then declines to give further details. Also doesn't specifically say those engines would be for the Supra or other cars.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
The GR supra concept had an electric motor fitted only
It had three pedals because a sequential transmission requires a clutch to get it moving from a standstill

But you are correct - there is definitely provision for a third pedal. I clambered into the the GR concept and got lots of pics to triple check this :p

Jabba

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Hyundai Veloster N
But you are correct - there is definitely provision for a third pedal. I clambered into the the GR concept and got lots of pics to triple check this :p
I remember this, I think that thread is what pushed me to sign up on the forum. I don't want to be the fun killer, but I don't think a MT is in the cards. A GR serialized car will be niche, no question, and sticking on a MT would make it even more niche. Seeing how MT cars are disappearing as Thanos intended.

I REALLY hope Toyota would approve this, but I doubt they'll win that battle seeing how MT =/= sales. I could see them using the common, but true statement, "X Transmission is faster, so you're still having fun." I'm hoping they'll GR spec the new Corolla hatch that already has a manual option, and make it a hot hatch.

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW
What other power plant do they have in their arsenal? It has to have a inline 6 but still offer an inline 4 :dunno:

It is still wishful thinking on my end.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
So far, everything my source has told me has been true....everything! I have no reason to believe the remaining "things" won't be true either.

As for the development of its own engines, all I can say is pay close attention to the race car they will be unveiling at the auto show. I am told there will be "hints" of what's to come :rolleyes:;):thumbsup:.

I will have a MKV Supra "eventually" :D.
Honestly, as exciting as this is, it's also incredibly frustrating. To wait this long for the Supra and then to find out you have to wait a little longer for the better version is really disheartening. I hope this new "engine" isn't the only one worth getting. I'm not looking for a 100k sports car. I hope the i6 it debuts with is the one for the realistic enthusiast.

Status
Not open for further replies.