Lets Talk Traction - Straight Line

Vimugsy011

First Name
Mugsy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Curious for those that have been practicing Launching, especially as this car makes more power. how are you handling the traction issues and what has been working for you? I have a tune only with good ol California gas and struggling with traction in 1st and second, the main issue is traction. I will plan to get a better tire but want to hear how you are handling this issue, I have dragy and used that to measure against.

Mods : 91 Tune only and on California gas

Methods Used
Launch Control : Spin City
Brake Boost 1st gear : Spin City
Brake Boost 2nd Gear : Adjust RPM to conditions 1200-2000rpm to get best results, able to get best results but more difficult
Brake Boost Sport Mode OFF : Shockingly I got the most consist times with this and quick times, won't beat 2nd gear brake boost if done right though
Sponsored

OP
OP
Vimugsy011

Vimugsy011

First Name
Mugsy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
No handling about it, any combination from a dead stop is spin until the ECU shuts you down then spin some more. Iā€™m hoping these meats help out.

-RJM

651FDA79-490A-4826-A290-E81D823765E9.jpeg
I am curious how those fit, any rubbing issues with those I wonder, but 295s will definitely help with traction. Let me know how they work out.

Snorlax27

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 1995 E36 M3
Most guys pushing upwards of >500whp or above run R888R or NT555R from what I can see. No spinning especially if going wider with after market wheels.

Truthfully I run downpipe & E50 tune with stock wheel setup and I dare not go WOT with TCS off. Did it once, nearly shat my pants.

bajanstefan

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
No handling about it, any combination from a dead stop is spin until the ECU shuts you down then spin some more. Iā€™m hoping these meats help out.

-RJM

I remember reading about these and doing the math when I was considering PS4S as well. The additional contact these have over the 275 is 0.6 inches which is pretty substantial. Still though for me itā€™ll be PS4S when the time comes but these are gonna keep you happy, and above all, safe.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1

-RJM

Out of curiosity, why did you go with the PSS over the 4s?

As far as how I'm handling my traction issues on a Stage 2 93 octane tune, I just no longer drive with VSC completely off lol. I keep my car in traction mode (single press)

outxlove

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.outof.love
Car(s)
2020 Widebody 3.0 Premium / 93 FD RX7 / 90 240sx
Most guys pushing upwards of >500whp or above run R888R or NT555R from what I can see. No spinning especially if going wider with after market wheels.

Truthfully I run downpipe & E50 tune with stock wheel setup and I dare not go WOT with TCS off. Did it once, nearly shat my pants.

Iā€™m right around 525 with r888r and itā€™s definitely still super easy to spin in 1 through 3 if Iā€™m not feathering it properly

outxlove

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.outof.love
Car(s)
2020 Widebody 3.0 Premium / 93 FD RX7 / 90 240sx
How much torque are you producing?
Couldnā€™t tell you to be honest. I donā€™t have the dyno sheet but that hp mark is what the tuner said it was at.

Pure 800 turbo
Afe charge pipe
Afe downpipe
Mst intake

bajanstefan

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
Couldnā€™t tell you to be honest. I donā€™t have the dyno sheet but that hp mark is what the tuner said it was at.

Pure 800 turbo
Afe charge pipe
Afe downpipe
Mst intake
Gotcha gotcha, thanks for replying.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Out of curiosity, why did you go with the PSS over the 4s?

As far as how I'm handling my traction issues on a Stage 2 93 octane tune, I just no longer drive with VSC completely off lol. I keep my car in traction mode (single press)
The first reason was cost. I got a screaming deal that was too good to pass up. Second is handling, I didnā€™t want to introduce any steering anomalies by running mismatched tires.

I will consider the 4S once Im ready to replace the front tires.

-RJM

bajanstefan

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
i'm just curious... if it's same... why not just use launch control and not worry about initial traction?
It's odd to explain, they're the same but different in some ways. Launch control on the 20k tires had a little slip but with the boost loaded it got away well after that and no slipping beyond that initial moment. And it's entirely up to what you're in the mood for really, I don't launch control often, not something I need or feel like I need to do. That said, 3.8 seconds on those 20k tires using launch control speaks volumes about the stock tires.
Sponsored