Move to G87 M2?

Wj100

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0 Premium, 22 BMW X3 M40i, 02 Miata SE
I've been a BMW guy forever but purchased a 3.0 Supra a few months ago while I waited for the new M2 to come out (was going to get another M3 but it just felt too big and heavy).

I'm currently in the order bank for a new M2 and I'm guessing it will arrive sometime in the summer. At that point I will have had my Supra for a year and change but... I'm not sure I'm ready to pull the plug on it. While the M2 will have more power and better tech, I'm not sold that the 3800 pound S58 platform will be more fun to drive than the 3400 pound B58 Supra.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Supra is the pure sports car from the ground up. The M2 is a small sport coupe that weighs more than my old Lexus sport sedan with a V8. Keep your Supra unless you need the backseats, and if you need back sets, get an M3.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Performance wise the M2 will be a better car than the Supra but the bigger question is whether between higher MSRP, worse financing terms, and ADM, it will be that much better as to justify getting rid of the Supra.

Also if the G8x is any guide, if your order hasnā€™t been picked up for production yet, then summer 2023 delivery may be too optimisticā€¦

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I'm sure aftermarket will be great on M2, but I'm not sold on the looks. It looks heavy from the looks and it is. At that point I'd get M3/4

puckshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 CU Later A91-MT
If the F87 was still in production I may have gotten that. G87 is too heavy, ugly, and expensive for me. Very happy I went with the Supra.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
If I was getting a new M2, I would get a MT and keep the Supra.

But I'm dumb which means I am poor so going to get me a new GR86 in MT and keep my Supra Golf-R and STI .. park them in my 4 car garage..

PikkaGTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra
I'm good off an extra 500+ lbs weight gain
With a Li battery and Ti exhaust it'll be sub 3300 lbs Zupra vs. 3900 ZF M2 comp
HARD pass

Mark5

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 M2
IDK it's newer and more powerful, but is 3800 lbs and has a 55" height. Also, if it matters to you, Supra's MPG will be 20%++ better

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
I like the idea of the M2, but I still canā€™t wrap my head around why this car is over 3,800lbs.

It will still have RWD only (so no AWD advantage if you were going to build for roll/drag racing). It will still have the ZF8 (albeit likely a higher spec than in the Supra). MT is now available in both cars.

In a straight line, on the street, stock for stock - Iā€™m not sure the M2 is going to perform better than the Supra.

The B58 is widely regarded as sounding better than the S58.

You will have to decide if the S58 is worth gaining 400lbs of weight.

Looks are a subjective thing. So thereā€™s that.

Let me back up. Whatā€™s your idea of fun?

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
Wait for comp version and go for it I'd say. Love Supra but I have a feeling this G87 is gonna be awesome

PikkaGTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra
On top of all the porkiness , the wheel base is also almost a FOOT longer in the G87
Having owned an E46 M and 2 F80 M3s
m cars used to be special
They just don't feel special any more , too many parts that are available on base cars and are shared , hence M cars in the G generation do no stand out any more
I test drive a G82 comp before getting the Zupra and it felt LARGE, kinda GTR .feeling but with better interior
Very fast but also kind of muted .
And the S58 sounds almost as bad as the S55

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I would go with the one that has the biggest market for computer/software updates if you get a track alignment šŸ˜ (can you tell where my current focus is?). And the lighter, smaller car ofc :flame:

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I would go with the one that has the biggest market for computer/software updates if you get a track alignment šŸ˜ (can you tell where my current focus is?). And the lighter, smaller car ofc :flame:
Could you stop repeating this to make it sound like this is a normal occurrence? You are going to scare people for no reason. Someone did something wrong with your alignment to have that happen. Iā€™ve aligned my Supra 5x now with absolutely zero issues. I even have multiple SPL arms and coil overs.

Again, zero issues and plenty of track guys who also donā€™t have that issue.

This is not normal. Someone messed up during the alignment.
Sponsored