Mustang vs FT1 Supra

Tunnel_D

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GTO
Add another sports coupe to the mix! GT350 was just announced today and it's got over 500+ hp with a flat plane crank engine. That's incredible to see a manfuacturer not named Ferrrari putting a engine like that out in a sub $100k car. I bet Toyota and pretty much every sports car manufacturer took notice today of this car.

This one could be tough for the FT1 Supra to beat???
Sponsored

__WRC__

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
325i
Add another sports coupe to the mix! GT350 was just announced today and it's got over 500+ hp with a flat plane crank engine. That's incredible to see a manfuacturer not named Ferrrari putting a engine like that out in a sub $100k car. I bet Toyota and pretty much every sports car manufacturer took notice today of this car.

This one could be tough for the FT1 Supra to beat???
The new Mustang is still a heavy pig at 3600-3700 pounds so yea the GT350 will go like stink but power will never overcome weight when it comes to feel. A heavy high HP car might go down the strip or around a track faster but it own't feel as good as a lighter car.

THe FT1 is rumoured to be getting significant amt of carbon fiber so we should see the weight closer to 3000 pounds than 3500 pounds. That's a lot lighter than the GT350 and should still be more of a driver's car.

910ps

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
The new Mustang is still a heavy pig at 3600-3700 pounds so yea the GT350 will go like stink but power will never overcome weight when it comes to feel. A heavy high HP car might go down the strip or around a track faster but it own't feel as good as a lighter car.

THe FT1 is rumoured to be getting significant amt of carbon fiber so we should see the weight closer to 3000 pounds than 3500 pounds. That's a lot lighter than the GT350 and should still be more of a driver's car.
Totally right. Take Ford's previous GT500 it can outrun most cars in a straight line but it is the same reason it gets destroyed by their much cheaper and less powerful Boss 302 around the track. So lighter > more powerful

Unless they screw up royally the MKV Supra should be much much lighter. IMO anything above 3,500lbs is just not fun to drive.

EvoX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Evo
Mustang will be a hammer and Supra will be a scapel. Both will get same results but in diff ways.

divinesteer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyotas
The car is pretty imrpessive I have to say. I read that they benchmarked it against some serious cars 911S, Ferrari California, etc

If I could get over the weight and the fact that it's still just a mustang I would consider it for performance alone.

sunFire

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46 M3 cabrio
2016-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-photo-648902-s-1280x782-626x382.jpg

Not a fan of the nose, it's like some alien creation. and some are saying it will be as much as a Z28. No thanks if that's the case.

did they even release any specs? weight? hp/torqe?

OP
OP

Tunnel_D

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GTO
2016-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-photo-648902-s-1280x782-626x382.jpg

Not a fan of the nose, it's like some alien creation. and some are saying it will be as much as a Z28. No thanks if that's the case.

did they even release any specs? weight? hp/torqe?
I like the look... especially that nose. Some of the new Lexus cars have more of a alien look. This just looks mean and aggressive. No exact performacne specs yet but we know it has more than 500 horsepowers and more than 400 lb-ft torque. Any pricing is just speculationg right now they haven't announced it.

If the Supra can match these specs but feature lightweight construction, it'll get even more buzz and interest than this car.

supraninja

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV Supra
The prob with the shelby mustangs and the even more powerful GT500's is that they still use the same interior as the rental V6's out there. Sure you can boatloads of HP if you want but there is no modding a cheap and parts bin interior. This is where the mustang and (hopefully) the supra will be in different leagues.

Big George

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda 3, X5 V8
The prob with the shelby mustangs and the even more powerful GT500's is that they still use the same interior as the rental V6's out there. Sure you can boatloads of HP if you want but there is no modding a cheap and parts bin interior. This is where the mustang and (hopefully) the supra will be in different leagues.
Toyota is capable of building quality interiors (Lexus) so a $50-60k Supra should for sure have a nicer interior than a Mustang.

FRS-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hot Lava FR-S
Performance wise the gt350 will be a very tough competitor. Magnetic ride suspension, 500hp/400tq and possibly lighter too. Like others have stated they will be world's apart in interior, quality and refinement. It's the same cheap american muscle formula. Not bashing on it, it works for some, and their fans love it, but there is more to a car than pure raw power.

At 60+ grand there are other cars I'd rather spend my money on.

dsubrosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 Yaris
Nice car from the outside but I really can't stand American car interior designs. This one is no exception. Why's it have to be so upright? Not sporty or personal feeling at all judging by the pix.

fox body

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Pogo Stick
Some of you are missing the point I think. It's a pure track car not meant to be a DD really so the interior is not one of the selling points.

dsubrosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 Yaris
Some of you are missing the point I think. It's a pure track car not meant to be a DD really so the interior is not one of the selling points.
The GT350 and regular Mustang have the same interior basically and they're both bad looking. Better looking than the craptacular Camaro interior though.

And if the GT350 was meant to be a pure track car it would have a more basic stripped out interior to be lighter like the Camaro Z28.

divinesteer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyotas
GT350 is rumored to start at $52,995 MSRP per: http://horsepowerkings.com/ford-will-price-2016-gt350-52995-gt350r-model-way/

Of course it's all hearsay but it sounds believable enough.

A very expensive mustang, but still will be a lot of car for the money.

I trust that Toyota will deliver something more impressive.
Damn that's cheap for that performance level! A lot to pay for an American car for sure.

It's actually great that the Supra is still in development while all these great cars hit the market. Something to benchmark and price properly against should mean the car will as good if not better.
Sponsored