New (Unconfirmed) Details and Specifications of US-Spec MKV Supra:

Would you consider a single trim, 350hp, 3300lbs/1500kg luxury A90 Supra at $60k+?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Not me....I’ve always been edging towards a GTR. I was always holding off hoping Toyota would shock the world by announcing a home-grown powerplant in the MKV. However, with recent news....it’s solidified my fears....a way overpriced GT86. I mean, what’s the difference in performance of a 2700lb car with 205hp (GT86), and a 3300lb car with 350hp (MKV)? Is there really much of an edge there?
Ok, so now you know. Have fun with your GTR purchase. :thumbsup:

A70TTR did say the powerplant isn't the B58 as everyone has speculated. We sh'all see.
Sponsored

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Again....in the states. Everywhere else in the world, it competed with GTR. Again, the MKIV Supra exists as a direct response to Nissans GTR program. Technically, we should all thank Nissan, lol.
It shares more design cues with the Z than it does with the GTR tbh

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
Again....in the states. Everywhere else in the world, it competed with GTR. Again, the MKIV Supra exists as a direct response to Nissans GTR program. Technically, we should all thank Nissan, lol.
I don't know about that. The Supra succeed the 2000GT, and didn't that compete with the 240z? This would be a good question for @A70TTR.

Thanks for posting, enjoyed that...
You're welcome. :)

SVHO

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 MX5 ND, 2019 Acura RDX
94 Miata ~$17k / 128hp
18 Miata ~$32k / 155hp

94 Supra ~$43k / 320hp
19 Supra ~$63.5k* / 335hp -380hp*

The Miata almost doubled in price for 55hp in the same time frame. There's no out cry because the Miata is still cheaper compared to other sport/sporty cars on the market.
I actually current own the ND. Had 3 generations of nissan Z(X) cars (1988, 1991, 2004,2005), a few S2000s. The ND is one of the better cars I have owned. Previously I was one of the people who thought it was a hair dresser car, etc. Very fun to drive (go cart like).

upnsmoke

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota MR2 GT, Nismo 370Z , Subaru Liberty Outback
Regarding all of this speculation, we should still take it all with a grain of salt. With that being said though, Toyota if you're out there please listen. I know this is a different day in age and Toyota needs to be able to appeal to a wider market, but many people from a variety of age groups still want a light-weight, low frills car. While it may be a race now to see who can pack the most technology into their product to appeal to a younger age group, many of us in this young group could care less about the heavy tech. If I wanted a luxury/performance car, I wouldn't be looking at the Supra, I would be looking elsewhere. I still have high hopes for the Supra and can't wait to see what we have in store.
The next 86 is due in 2020-2021...

the next MR2 is being penned at the moment as well...

both I expect to sit under this "Zupra" price wise and will most likely have manual options as both will be small "driver focused" cars

dshandy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Chevy Camaro SS, 2014 Audi A5
The next 86 is due in 2020-2021...

the next MR2 is being penned at the moment as well...

both I expect to sit under this "Zupra" price wise and will most likely have manual options as both will be small "driver focused" cars
While I can't wait to see a new 86 and MR2, I really don't want to wait any longer. I really hope the same thing that happened to the new Acura/Honda NSX doesn't happen to the new Supra (that being, Honda goes from an amazing and light-weight drivers car to a heavy and tech packed hybrid). I just hope that the Supra hasn't turned into something it wasn't meant to be and that MKV deserves to wear the name.

upnsmoke

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota MR2 GT, Nismo 370Z , Subaru Liberty Outback
While I can't wait to see a new 86 and MR2, I really don't want to wait any longer. I really hope the same thing that happened to the new Acura/Honda NSX doesn't happen to the new Supra (that being, Honda goes from an amazing and light-weight drivers car to a heavy and tech packed hybrid). I just hope that the Supra hasn't turned into something it wasn't meant to be and that MKV deserves to wear the name.

well me too... I've succumbed and actually in the process of getting a Nismo 370Z for the mean time, I have to trade in my STi before it clocks more mileage/kms... going to spend the money saved to hopefully boost the power up a bit.

I had an 86 last year and loved it but needed something more practical next to the MR2, so the STi was decent but its high in mileage and costing a bit to service here in Australia. I need a new car by end of the year pretty much.

I used to work for one of the big OEMs in automotive, in development and knowing what I know... the spec for this Supra is done and if they choose to add more power or a special edition it would be in its facelift around 2021. Manual wise, tough... unless they already had one to start with and just shelved it.

Toyota and BMW did this to save money development wise and time wise (lol)... i think they Toyota were a fan of the BMW chassis that allows that low long nose profile, as they dont have a chassis available at the moment as they continue to develop their TNGA arsenal.

It was already mentioned here earlier and its true, Toyota USA is very powerful as they are the ones with the market that would justify this car and if the study they have resulted in the spec it has NOW, then the chief engineer has to honor that because this is business and it has to make money.

But I do expect a "lighter" more Supra-bred version, the Gazoo Supra, but looks like its limited edition.... or just wait until 2021 for the Gazoo-lite spec Supra.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
well me too... I've succumbed and actually in the process of getting a Nismo 370Z for the mean time, I have to trade in my STi before it clocks more mileage/kms... going to spend the money saved to hopefully boost the power up a bit.

I had an 86 last year and loved it but needed something more practical next to the MR2, so the STi was decent but its high in mileage and costing a bit to service here in Australia. I need a new car by end of the year pretty much.

I used to work for one of the big OEMs in automotive, in development and knowing what I know... the spec for this Supra is done and if they choose to add more power or a special edition it would be in its facelift around 2021. Manual wise, tough... unless they already had one to start with and just shelved it.

Toyota and BMW did this to save money development wise and time wise (lol)... i think they Toyota were a fan of the BMW chassis that allows that low long nose profile, as they dont have a chassis available at the moment as they continue to develop their TNGA arsenal.

It was already mentioned here earlier and its true, Toyota USA is very powerful as they are the ones with the market that would justify this car and if the study they have resulted in the spec it has NOW, then the chief engineer has to honor that because this is business and it has to make money.

But I do expect a "lighter" more Supra-bred version, the Gazoo Supra, but looks like its limited edition.... or just wait until 2021 for the Gazoo-lite spec Supra.
Bright side, the Supra will still be lighter than the NC1 and R35

zedsix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Somecar
No one knows whether any of this information is true or from a legitimate resource, so take my words as my opinion as I am basing it on the information that's been posted here. I've owned multiple (can't even keep count) MKIV supras and have driven almost every JDM vehicle produced in the 80's and 90's. What gets me is that from the information we have it seems like Toyota's doing almost everything WRONG to kill this car off.

* BMW Engine - If I wanted a BMW powered car then I would just buy a BMW. It shouldn't be in a Supra period.
* Manual - We're not sure if this has been completely canned, however based on the interviews with Tada, it's not an option anytime soon.
* Targa - No targa anytime soon or on the cards.
* Fake door vents...... why add something with no purpose, everything on the MKIV has purpose.
* The power figures after approximately ~20 years since they produced the MKIV.

I was extremely excited to put down my name for an order of a MKV when released, however if the information in this thread its nothing but a NO. If the specs are to be true then I doubt this car will be produced long-term and will quickly die off, you've lost all manual drivers, aerotop drivers, BMW haters (I am not one). It sounds to me like pure classical corporate bullshit with too many beaks in the pie trying to make something that has been combined to satisfy the people upstairs.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
No one knows whether any of this information is true or from a legitimate resource, so take my words as my opinion as I am basing it on the information that's been posted here. I've owned multiple (can't even keep count) MKIV supras and have driven almost every JDM vehicle produced in the 80's and 90's. What gets me is that from the information we have it seems like Toyota's doing almost everything WRONG to kill this car off.

* BMW Engine - If I wanted a BMW powered car then I would just buy a BMW. It shouldn't be in a Supra period.
It's a BMW bottom with a Toyota head now

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota USA seems to have no idea what and where the market is in terms of sports car...

xantonin

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 Celica GT-S
Toyota USA seems to have no idea what and where the market is in terms of sports car...
This is true and pretty obvious in how Toyota advertised the Celica (looks fast) and 86 (not for everyone).

Ugh those commercials were painful.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.