New (Unconfirmed) Details and Specifications of US-Spec MKV Supra:

Would you consider a single trim, 350hp, 3300lbs/1500kg luxury A90 Supra at $60k+?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
* BMW Engine - If I wanted a BMW powered car then I would just buy a BMW. It shouldn't be in a Supra period. Yes, but then people who said the Supra can't be a Supra without an inline 6 would cry. Toyota doesn't want to add their own production lines & employees for a niche product that might easily disappear due to automation & electrification. They want to retain their life long employment image as their previous MK4 Supra plant/employees are already working at full capacity building the Lexus LC & Toyota Mirai.
* Manual - We're not sure if this has been completely canned, however based on the interviews with Tada, it's not an option anytime soon.
* Targa - No targa anytime soon or on the cards.
* Fake door vents...... why add something with no purpose, everything on the MKIV has purpose. This ain't the 90s anymore..ALL manufacturers are utilizing "fake" design cues now. Show me any modern sports car that has a grille cutout that is the EXACT same size as the actual opening of the grille.
* The power figures after approximately ~20 years since they produced the MKIV.

xantonin

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 Celica GT-S
This ain't the 90s anymore..ALL manufacturers are utilizing "fake" design cues now. Show me any modern sports car that has a grille cutout that is the EXACT same size as the actual opening of the grille.
Grille design and fake vents aren't the same thing. Just about any grille design will eventually get air through the front bumper and into the radiator, which serves a function.

Vents on the fenders, doors, hoods, and just about anywhere else are a different story.

The only purpose I've seen for rear fend/door vents is for mid engine cars - that's where they get air.

For hoods, either ram air to the engine, or to cool the firewall/exhaust (Celica).

For fenders, well, not much that I know of other than something about the tires or whatever gimmick they placed there. So again, not sure how the Supra's door vents help anything except being a pain to clean.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Grille design and fake vents aren't the same thing. Just about any grille design will eventually get air through the front bumper and into the radiator, which serves a function.

Vents on the fenders, doors, hoods, and just about anywhere else are a different story.

The only purpose I've seen for rear fend/door vents is for mid engine cars - that's where they get air.

For hoods, either ram air to the engine, or to cool the firewall/exhaust (Celica).

For fenders, well, not much that I know of other than something about the tires or whatever gimmick they placed there. So again, not sure how the Supra's door vents help anything except being a pain to clean.
Come on, it is the exact same concept. Look at the Z06 grill, it isn't entirely open, there are closed off parts but they decided to make the grille look larger than it actually needs to be...it is all for show, no different than the GT86 or Zupra's fake vents.

...if you're really paranoid about fake vents, then make them functional like people did with the GT86's fake vents

DSC_0366_zpsc22896ff.jpg

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota, if the rumors are true. Instead of buying the new Supra, we will all be buying the old one.

And that would be damn shame.
I know I'm beating a dead horse here, and I have gone about his over and over...but....I still don't understand the purpose of this car. Again, forget the Supra name that is being slapped onto this franken'car....what was the purpose of developing another sports car in their lineup, that isn't anymore dramatic than the GT86? Bare with me for a second here...for example;

- The LFA's goal was to show the world what happens when Japanese engineering is put to the test. Spare no expense! They (Lexus) delivered on that goal, because it was not intended to be a mass produced car, or a money maker, or whatever. It was an engineering exercise....nothing more nothing less. We all understood it's purpose.

- The GT-86's goal was to make a small, lightweight, nimble, entry-level sports car that was not only affordable to buy, but fun to drive. Toyota delivered on that goal! We all know it's not a straight line dragster, or a highway rocket, etc... Everyone understands the purpose of the GT-86.

- The MKIV Supra's goal was to compete and surpass any sports car of that era. It beat Ferrari's, Porsche's (high-end models), BMW's, etc... of that era. Sure it was expensive, but speed and performance isn't cheap. You got what you paid for...and it's legacy proves this in every way. Toyota delivered on that goal and made what is arguably known to this day, as one of the long lasting, high-value appreciating, tuner friendly, sports car platforms in the world. Everyone wants a MKIV Supra! We all understand it's purpose.

- The MKV Supra's goal is to do what??? It's not lightweight...sorry, but lightweight in auto enthusiasts eyes means under 3000lbs. It's not powerful...the ecoboost mustangs are catching up to the MKV's HP and they are running 4 cylinders. It's overpriced (at least for the gear it's supposedly packing). It's design is questionable....honestly, I was expecting closer design to the FT-1, but the mules we see being tested look bloated like a midget on steroids. What I want to know is, does Toyota really think that it is going to fool the buyers into believing they are getting a Supra successor? It's a damn Z4 with Toyota badges. TOYOTA, WHAT IS THE GOAL OF THE MKV SUPRA AND WHO IS THE TARGET AUDIENCE FOR THIS CAR???

Noble713

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JZA80, JZX110, XE10
I'm not a fan of BMW parts, but I **HOPE** that Toyota is using BMW's B58 engine for the new Supra, at least the bottom end. If so, I wouldn't worry too much about the factory power levels. The engine's closed deck block design is robust and I really think it might shape us as the "aluminum 21st-century 2JZ", in terms of its ability to hold insane power easily. Shops are already breaking 600whp with stock internals:

https://www.bimmerboost.com/content...M240i-dynos-613-rwhp-with-Stage-III-turbo-kit

^I'd actually like to drop one of these engines into a Toyota Mark X....someday.

The whining about a $60k price is hilarious from where I sit. The US gets these type of cars cheap compared to what they cost here in Japan: a Lexus RC-F starts at $98k here( https://lexus.jp/models/rcf/spec_price/ ) (+$30,000 compared to US price), and I expect the MkV to be a rip-off as well. Neither Toyota nor BMW can achieve the kinds of sports car volumes that make the Corvette such a bargain, and the 370z is essentially a 15-year old design with tooling that is well-and-truely paid for.

All of that said.......I don't plan on selling/trading in my MkIV Supra for a MKV anytime soon, if ever. This recent news release didn't help either, and unless I see absolute confirmation of a B58-derived engine I'll probably lose interest in the long run when these are available used too. But for everyone who doesn't have a MkIV.....buy the $60k MkV, slap on a turbo kit for another ~$5k, and make 600+hp in your inline-6 sexy-as-f*** coupe.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
All of that said.......I don't plan on selling/trading in my MkIV Supra for a MKV anytime soon, if ever. This recent news release didn't help either, and unless I see absolute confirmation of a B58-derived engine I'll probably lose interest in the long run when these are available used too. But for everyone who doesn't have a MkIV.....buy the $60k MkV, slap on a turbo kit for another ~$5k, and make 600+hp in your inline-6 sexy-as-f*** coupe.
Here's your answer

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/ne...s-of-us-spec-mkv-supra.1306/page-6#post-17058

Also, most likely Japan will receive a stripped down 4 cylinder Supra as well so it'll be affordable over there. No clue on pricing but let's say 41k USD here

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
TOYOTA, WHAT IS THE GOAL OF THE MKV SUPRA AND WHO IS THE TARGET AUDIENCE FOR THIS CAR???
Think it is pretty obvious at this point. It is mainly meant to keep Toyota in the conversation among enthusiasts in hopes that it increases brand awareness and indirectly leads to more overall sales of their brand.

I think the point we're missing here is that there are many "light" enthusiasts who aren't into tracking or pushing their car, neither are they really into the engineering behind the product but they have money to buy into an image. I have a friend who makes decent money and all this time he was driving a Toyota Prius. He isn't really into cars and admits he doesn't want to learn or drive a stick but wanted something that looked badass so he just got a Jaguar F Type R a few weeks ago. Think that fits the exact type of buyer Toyota is looking to capture.

20180513_213526[1].jpg

Last edited:

Noble713

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JZA80, JZX110, XE10
- The MKV Supra's goal is to do what??? It's not lightweight...sorry, but lightweight in auto enthusiasts eyes means under 3000lbs. It's not powerful...the ecoboost mustangs are catching up to the MKV's HP and they are running 4 cylinders. It's overpriced (at least for the gear it's supposedly packing). It's design is questionable....honestly, I was expecting closer design to the FT-1, but the mules we see being tested look bloated like a midget on steroids. What I want to know is, does Toyota really think that it is going to fool the buyers into believing they are getting a Supra successor? It's a damn Z4 with Toyota badges. TOYOTA, WHAT IS THE GOAL OF THE MKV SUPRA AND WHO IS THE TARGET AUDIENCE FOR THIS CAR???
It's a sport-oriented Grand Tourer, Japanese-style. If you like V12 FR Ferraris or Aston Martins, but don't need all the Euro-snobbery/luxury/maintenance headaches, or the extra six cylinders. It's an everyman's sports car, like a Corvette, but with an efficient, small displacement turbo engine, because you don't "need" 400hp for Japanese roads. Of course, you can still dial the engine up to 11 and get your Initial D on.

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
Think it is pretty obvious at this point. It is mainly meant to keep Toyota in the conversation among enthusiasts in hopes that it increase brand awareness and indirectly lead to more overall sales of their brand.

I think the point we're missing here is that there are many "light" enthusiasts who aren't into tracking or pushing their car, neither are they really into the engineering behind the product but they have money to buy into an image. I have a friend who makes decent money and all this time he was driving a Toyota Prius. He isn't really into cars and admits he doesn't want to learn or drive a stick but wanted something that looked badass so he just got a Jaguar F Type R a few weeks ago. Think that fits the exact type of buyer Toyota is looking to capture.

20180513_213526[1].jpg
If Toyota turns there back on the "heavy" enthusiast they would have missed the boat completely with this car.

Toyota doesn't need any more help in selling their brand, people already know and love them for their reliability. They are marketing this car as a Halo and the spec requirements should match this. No Excuses or Compromises.

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
I think the greatest complaint is the price. For BMW price you get Toyota badge. Z4 Coupe E86 is my favorite BMW. And here comes the second complaint: the new Z4 is ugly, packed with gizmos. If i wanted gizmos, I'd get a gizmo, whatever that is.

SVHO

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 MX5 ND, 2019 Acura RDX
I know I'm beating a dead horse here, and I have gone about his over and over...but....I still don't understand the purpose of this car. Again, forget the Supra name that is being slapped onto this franken'car....what was the purpose of developing another sports car in their lineup, that isn't anymore dramatic than the GT86? Bare with me for a second here...for example;

- The LFA's goal was to show the world what happens when Japanese engineering is put to the test. Spare no expense! They (Lexus) delivered on that goal, because it was not intended to be a mass produced car, or a money maker, or whatever. It was an engineering exercise....nothing more nothing less. We all understood it's purpose.

- The GT-86's goal was to make a small, lightweight, nimble, entry-level sports car that was not only affordable to buy, but fun to drive. Toyota delivered on that goal! We all know it's not a straight line dragster, or a highway rocket, etc... Everyone understands the purpose of the GT-86.

- The MKIV Supra's goal was to compete and surpass any sports car of that era. It beat Ferrari's, Porsche's (high-end models), BMW's, etc... of that era. Sure it was expensive, but speed and performance isn't cheap. You got what you paid for...and it's legacy proves this in every way. Toyota delivered on that goal and made what is arguably known to this day, as one of the long lasting, high-value appreciating, tuner friendly, sports car platforms in the world. Everyone wants a MKIV Supra! We all understand it's purpose.

Agree 100%!

Noble713

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JZA80, JZX110, XE10
part of part of my issue with this, aside from other parts, is the output and how its using B58 numbers as said. the new engine in the Supra uses an iron block and a new head and apparently has been tested to reliably hold 700hp. This was the design requirement Toyota issued to BMW; ensure the motor can handle extreme tuning (well, extreme in their eyes).
IRON BLOCK?!?!?! Dammit. Part of what I like about the B58 is the aluminum block. These damn iron JZ engines are stupid-heavy and suffer from heat soak. I really want a bullet-proof aluminum I6 -- an alternative to LS-swapping cars. Those Chevy small blocks are the perfect combination of light weight, compact packaging, and insane torque curve. I want the same....but with the sonorous beauty of a I6's engine note, and a small displacement so I don't get raped on Japanese taxes (6.0+ Liter displacement = ~$1,000/year for road tax).

Toyota you've failed me >_<.

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
It's a sport-oriented Grand Tourer, Japanese-style. If you like V12 FR Ferraris or Aston Martins, but don't need all the Euro-snobbery/luxury/maintenance headaches, or the extra six cylinders. It's an everyman's sports car, like a Corvette, but with an efficient, small displacement turbo engine, because you don't "need" 400hp for Japanese roads. Of course, you can still dial the engine up to 11 and get your Initial D on.
Hmm, that why many are so upset, because it get an unreliable BMW (euro) engine and all luxury stuff that adds weight and gives all the maintenance headaches. The Supra is a BMW Z4 with Toyota badge, like the GT86 is a Subaru BRZ with Toyota badge, like the Yaris is a Mazda 2 with Toyota badge. The only difference now is that in history, there never has been any premium car with cheap badge for premium price. Usually a cheap car gets a premium badge with markup.

Edit: Corolla/Mazda 3 correction.

Last edited:

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
Hmm, that why many are so upset, because it get an unreliable BMW (euro) engine and all luxury stuff that adds weight and gives all the maintenance headaches. The Supra is a BMW Z4 with Toyota badge, like the GT86 is a Subaru BRZ with Toyota badge, like the Corolla is a Mazda 3 with Toyota badge. The only difference now is that in history, there never has been any premium car with cheap badge for premium price. Usually a cheap car gets a premium badge with markup.
The Maxda 3 and Corolla share no components or design. Do you mean the Yaris Sedan/iA and Mazda 2?

Jeff
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.