New (Unconfirmed) Details and Specifications of US-Spec MKV Supra:

Would you consider a single trim, 350hp, 3300lbs/1500kg luxury A90 Supra at $60k+?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
I think you guys are underestimating the dollar / yen issue in the mid 90's and the demise of Japanese sports cars. Just go look up what a Turbo Mr2 cost in 91 vs 95. That is all about the dollar / yen and nothing to really do with customer interest. Well of course the sales went down because the cost went up...due to the dollar / yen.

It was the reason why many badass Japanese cars were discontinued here but not in other places in the world. For example the RX7, 3000GT etc etc along with the MKIV and MR2. Only Honda seemed to stick it out with the NSX for a few more years.

I'm sure the older guys on this board remember.
Oh yes, thanks for adding this. I did forget about the exchange rate at the time.
Sponsored

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I'm not trying to justify the cost, but keep in mind buyers are also paying for exclusivity. Supposedly they are making less than 10,000 units a year. That doesn't sound too low, but take that number and divide it up between all the different markets. I wouldn't be surprised if the US only got like 2,000 units.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Galaxy 500
It's nice to see new people on the forums come on here and try and act like they know what the hell they are talking about. Here you are buddy, a bing search for you (plug in the numbers):

https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=39000&year=1994

Here is a window sticker off of a 1994 Non-turbo Automatic Supra....$39K....in 1994:

Used_1994_Toyota_Supra.jpg

Translate that to today's money, that's $66k. FOR A NON-TURBO AUTOMATIC!!! Now, the Turbo 6spd's sold in the mid $40k's....fully loaded to the brim, they were at ~$46k....in 1994. Translate that to today's money, that's $77k....not including the other dealer markups and addon's. How is that not near or just at $80k today? Suck it!

As for the GTR not selling....don't look at one year, look at the fact that the car has been in production since 2008! If you will notice, they have been selling quite well considering the car is 10years old now, with a year or two having some dips. Suck it twice!

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/nissan/nissan-gt-r/

You proved my point buddy, a good majority of buyers ARE paying top dollar for MKIV's today.....considering how many are actually left to buy on the used market. "Majority" in MKIV Supra sales terms is less than ~20 buyers a year because of actual inventory available. Not because people don't have money, it's because there aren't enough used MKIV TT Supra 6spd's out there. Suck it three time!

Don't be upset that your beloved Supra is going to be failure like it's little brother the FR-S. It's survival of the fittest, and Godzilla wins EVERYTIME!
Wow, your personality is even more deficient than your intellect.. We're talking base MSRP before extras. You know, apples to apples. The Supra debuted at $33,900 and $39,900. Adjusted for inflation that would be $57,600 and $67,800 today. The price did go up in succeeding years due to the strong yen/weak dollar, LEADING TO PLUMMETING SALES. So in 1997 there were huge price cuts. The 1996 prices were $38,600 and $50,400. The 1997 prices were $29,500 and $39,900!!!!! Adjusted for inflation the 1997 Supra was "only" $45,000 and $61,000 in today's dollars. And it still sold poorly.

As for the GT-R - none of those sales years are good. A peak year of 1700 units. Pretty unimpressive. The Z4/Supra factory is expected to produce 60,000 per year. And I'm not sure how you could say the 86 is a failure and the GT-R a success when there were more of the twins sold in the first year than in the past 10 years of the GT-R. And my guess is the twins turn a profit for toyota and Subaru, while from what I hear the Gt-R is a money-loser.

It doesn't matter what you think the majority of MKIV buyers are paying. You said that people paying $70k for used MKIVs showed how much demand there would be for a $100k Supra today. Um, no. What 20 or 90 people per year pay for a used car in short supply has no bearing on the demand for a new version today
In addition to being not too bright, you have a real anger and personality problem. Try not to shoot up any schools or assault any women.

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Galaxy 500
I'm not trying to justify the cost, but keep in mind buyers are also paying for exclusivity. Supposedly they are making less than 10,000 units a year. That doesn't sound too low, but take that number and divide it up between all the different markets. I wouldn't be surprised if the US only got like 2,000 units.
Where did you hear 10,000 per year? The article I read said the factory was gearing up to make up to 60,000 per year combined between the Z4 and Supra.

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
Where did you hear 10,000 per year? The article I read said the factory was gearing up to make up to 60,000 per year combined between the Z4 and Supra.

I remember reading an article somewhere that said the first year of the car was going to have a low set amount of units to sell around the 10-15k mark. What article did you read that said 60K? I'd be interested in reading it

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
2JZ is correct. In fact, I was told around 6500 units only for intro MY.

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
I am building a 1K HP 2JZ as we speak, and $15k adds up very quickly on engine mods. My current build is already at $14k and that doesn't include everything. Forget the performance side of things, the OEM replacement parts alone (panels, brackets, covers, etc...) would bring the cost of used Supra to insane price ranges. The manual transmission gauge cluster used on eBay right now goes for $1500!!!...USED!!! The way I want it, is clean...no dings and dents....an interior that doesn't smell like sweat shop or have claw marks all over the dashboard. See where I'm coming from? Why on earth would I spend $60k-$70k on a used TT Supra that will have imperfections, then another $15k-$20k on parts to make it the way I want it aesthetically with ~800HP, when I can get a GTR (for example) that is basically the same price, has 2018 technology, has a factory warranty, and has enough power that with a few simple bolt-on's will make nasty power "without" splitting open the motor. This is why I kept saying in my previous posts, I don't care about a manual trans, or vents, or whatever....if Toyota delivers a SOLID, STRONG, and POWERFUL platform out of the box, for $60k...I would be the first in line to buy one with every option on the list.

Oh trust me, I feel your pain as well. What people are asking for dash panels is ridiculous, let alone other parts for the car. I just bought a complete V160 drivetrain from clutch/flywheel all the way back to rear diff/axles as well as the tach and ECU thrown in for $10K and that's considered a good deal in todays market. I miss the days where you could get a nice 6spd for mid to high 20's LOL

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
We're talking base MSRP before extras.

In addition to being not too bright, you have a real anger and personality problem. Try not to shoot up any schools or assault any women.
Oh now “we” are talking about base MSRP??? Take a walk man...and yes, I have anger issues....dealing with knuckle-heads like you. “Ohhhhh you meant...”:imnew:

Btw, have some fucken respect for those innocent people who lost their lives in school shootings and woman who have been assaulted...and not joke about it. This comment alone explains your pea-sized brain.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.