New (Unconfirmed) Details and Specifications of US-Spec MKV Supra:

Would you consider a single trim, 350hp, 3300lbs/1500kg luxury A90 Supra at $60k+?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Is the new Supra supposed to be in the level on a GTR??

"Heaving aside the street drag race credits, if you really boil it down to stock vs stock, the two cars are very different in approach and focus this time.

The GT-R is a heavy-weight monster with big power, meats of tires, and sophisticated electronics to govern all that in mad science art, and that is how it gets a big car hauled around a race course with speed. It depends on the digital as well as raw abundance of grip and power.

The new A90 is the sort of the car where simplicity, and lack of weight, and with just rear wheels driven is the accolade and virtue. The expense is in the honing of details and use of advanced materials to reduce weights and refine the mechanical analog part of the car.
Produces the same lap time, with more efficiency and less consumables taken, and with more freedom for the drivers to choose lines and apexes.
One could say that the A90 is leaning more european in approach, while the GTR is more American, optimized for what performance car buyers tend to see in cars? Maybe.

There is only really preference."

Toyota is also testing at the Toyota's Hokkaido Shibetsu Test Area to keep the final A90 away from the public.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/T...a3189fab22f5ec!8m2!3d44.1855673!4d142.2187216
Pretty sure i've driven that track on FMS:hmm::hmm:
Sponsored

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Or LFC.

Tada is saying the car will be to his vision as a lightweight car with power and the chance to provide several entry points for turns suggest it really was built for racing from the ground up. More so than the 86
Kinda sticking it to Lexus, wouldn't you say?:hmm:

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'14 Subaru BRZ, '12 BMW M3
Yes, that is exactly true. But I guess weight gives it a more planted, solid feel. Not cost effective, either, when you're trying to pack as much sumptuous luxury items into a full-size sedan while still giving it a decent ride quality.
Except for the IS; that weight's too much.
But I digress.
The GT-R is in no way a good comparison. Perhaps an E92 M3, a C7 GS, or a Cayman GTS. But not a beast like a GT-R. Price, power, weight, drivetrain, and an entirely different focus. A GT-R was designed to be a showy supercar killer right from the showroom floor. A Toyota Supra is (in my eyes) a bigger, better GT86 with a focus on fun driveability and tuning potential. The only similarity? They're both halo cars, if you don't count the LFA.

SupraStew85

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1985 Supra (1jz vvti swap incoming) 2004 V8 4Runner
Agreed ^^ The supra and GTR comparison is pretty uneaqual. In my eyes it is the equivalent of comparing fully loaded mustang (GT) to a corvette. Different price points etc.

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'14 Subaru BRZ, '12 BMW M3
They're actually quite similar, if you mean a loaded new GT Performance Pack against a decent C7 Stingray. FR, small-block V-8, modern muscle, price, performance (kinda), purpose-built kinda track-touring (never driven either, though)..

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
I hope the 4-cylinder version is called Celica and looks a little different like what was written in those Facebook comments awhile back. I mean Tada did say a Supra must have an inline 6...

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just curious what you other forum-goers think, but I'm going to upgrade daily driver duties from a Mk7 Golf to something else. I've had my eye on the Civic Type R for now, but would personally go for something RWD wearing a Toyota badge. The only thing that has been worrying me is price. I don't mind going for a 4-cylinder. I personally think that the Supra with the 4-cyl might hang around the 40k or less mark, otherwise it will be out priced by all its competitors.

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
Imagine, a 3500lb LC500... :bow:
A little off topic but there is a 600hp LC-F in the making or so I've heard. IMO the LFA was the spiritual successor of the MKIV and the LC-F is going to be the LFA's successor. Only issue is it costs a fortune making it impossible to modify. If only it was Toyota branded with 1000lbs less in gadgets and useless accessories...

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
I'm just curious what you other forum-goers think, but I'm going to upgrade daily driver duties from a Mk7 Golf to something else. I've had my eye on the Civic Type R for now, but would personally go for something RWD wearing a Toyota badge. The only thing that has been worrying me is price. I don't mind going for a 4-cylinder. I personally think that the Supra with the 4-cyl might hang around the 40k or less mark, otherwise it will be out priced by all its competitors.
Two concerns on the use of a four here: p/w and the sound. If it comes in at the rumoured 265hp the weight will need to be no more than 3000 lbs for minimally acceptable performance, even assuming a fat, flat torque curve. And then there is the sound, very few 4s sound good, none I can think of match a nice I6 not to mention a V8.

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
I mean a Jaguar F type Coupe with the ZF 8 speed and the Ingenium Engine producing 296hp and 295 TQ the car weighs 3,360lbs and has a starting cost of $60,750 on paper this car IMHO is the closest to the MKV I4 specs.

By those standards, the Supra 4 Cylinder seems like a bargain for a car that's basically the same as the Jag... the MKV 4 Cylinder but likely to be 300lbs lighter and 20K cheaper.

for another comparison look at the base Porsche 718 producing 300hp and 280TQ the car weight in at 3010 ish starting at 56K

I highly doubt you could buy the Jag or the Porsche without spending more money to add things, safety tech, apple car play etc.Toyota will likely put everything as standard, with few options (all weather matts, etc etc ) Let's not forget the reliability and maintenance cost of the other two brands when compared to Toyota.

Honestly, this 4 cylinder is a bargain I'm sure it can be tuned and a great potential.

It's not going to sound very good maybe but I don't mind it if it's a good well put together package.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honestly, this 4 cylinder is a bargain I'm sure it can be tuned and a great potential.

It's not going to sound very good maybe but I don't mind it if it's a good well put together package.
I'm still confused if the US will be getting this car at all. Or will it be a different name?

Status
Not open for further replies.