NHTSA Recalls (Aug 3, 2021) - Remedy Available

Ivan27

First Name
Constantine
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2018 4Runner Limited
Took the NART in at 8am, the ecu flash took 2 hours. Everything went without a glitch. The service manager was very knowledgeable bout the Supra, and master mechanic who is BMW trained was the only person that could drive the Supra. Over all it was a great experience. The only thing I had to reset was time, and the number buttons for quick access to tire temp, eq, and oil check. My Supra is basically stock.

redspencer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue Supra; Track-tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken TCD
WARNING!!
If your ECU is tunable and you wish to keep it that way, DO NOT let your ECU be flashed for the recall. I've confirmed from several sources that it will lock your ECU and it cannot be bench unlocked (at this time).

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
Toyota of Lake City! After some early miscommunication with the service advisor, it all ended up working out fine.

The Supra tech was late to work the morning I dropped it off, and I had to explain to the SA that the remedy for the recall was just a software update (not anything hardware related). He had originally told me it was going to take all day…

For those wondering, I dropped mine off at 7:30am and was called at 11:00am that it was ready. They let me know I was the first person to be in for the recall, so @Loco38SUP maybe it will take less time if you go there. No additional miles were put on my car for “testing” and it was an overall positive experience.

I also got full-screen carplay now, so RIP to those that paid good money for that :(
Took mine into Swickard Toyota (formerly Magic Toyota) up in Lynnwood. Got in around 8. They were done with the recall + 10k mile service around 2 or so. My ECU is locked, so I figured it didn't really matter much anyway. Had to redo my Bimmercode and got fullscreen Carplay as a nice bonus.

The dealership called and asked if they should go ahead since a flash would override any tunes.

I'd say go in and get it done if your ECU is locked; otherwise, its fairly easy to not kill your power braking by not doing the steps that cause the issue.

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
WARNING!!
If your ECU is tunable and you wish to keep it that way, DO NOT let your ECU be flashed for the recall. I've confirmed from several sources that it will lock your ECU and it cannot be bench unlocked (at this time).
Funny, I just read a post from Visconti stating basically the exact opposite. If your ECU was tunable before, it will remain tunable. You will need a bench unlock but that's it.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
WARNING!!
I heard the opposite from Visconti on FB - so this is good information to have.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Funny, I just read a post from Visconti stating basically the exact opposite. If your ECU was tunable before, it will remain tunable. You will need a bench unlock but that's it.
We’re like. So twinning right now.

eastwest2300

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
QX70
Man, this is just crazy, all this talk about unlocked and locked ECUs, makes me just wanna stinger splash somebody ?

Msoupe

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0, Civic Hatch, C10 Pickup
They wiped everything. You're gonna need to recode everything. I just got mine done.
I have Android. I don't know why they don't do Android Auto as all other manufacturer do.
So it's safe to say us Android owners didn't get any love on this recall update? Shit, I'll take partial-screen android auto at this point.:confused:

Skebs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Gray Supra
Got my car back this morning as they promised.
I'd say my car was returned to stock aside from my driver profile, supra connect, and navigation were all still 'activated' and knew who I was.

I do have full-screen CarPlay and I think a new brightness/contrast adjustment on the reverse camera (which I think was a known addition to this version of iDrive).

Spent ~1 hour re-doing all the bimmercode items I had done but still need to reprogram my favorites buttons, re-tune the equalizer and even set clock settings (back to auto).

Nothing strange or odd about my car after the update; note Bimmercode is the only OBDII related change I've applied to my car prior to this recall update - I am not tuned nor have used JB4.

Good luck folks!

I don't know if you mentioned this somewhere, browsed through your past messages and didn't see it, but which dealer did you go to in SF?

3rdGearEvo

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 2003 Evo VIII
What about ECUs that were unlocked and did not require a bench unlock? I am tuned by Botti on Ecutek and I never physically removed my ECU to be unlocked. He was able to unlock and tune via email
Sponsored