Oil for supra????

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
B.T.W. What does the dealer charge for an oil change?
I don’t know for certain but the material itself costs over $115 so I assume $200-250 but you get a free swirl inducing scrub wash and grease marks along with burning oil smell for about a week.
Sponsored

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium

Mkmtl

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra premium

ogun228

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Turbulence gray Premium Supra
So now I know Toyota does not make a 5-30 weight oil which is designated for the Supra
Any suggestions? Mobile 1, Amsoil, Liqui-moly top tech 4200...no 0-20 in South Florida 95+ degrees

With all due respect, do you really believe that a car company like Toyota, or any other , for that matter, is also in the business of "making" oil for their vehicles?

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
So what exactly would happen if you used just good old fashion mobil one 0w-20

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
So what exactly would happen if you used just good old fashion mobil one 0w-20
It's like comparing regular carrots to organic carrots. Probably won't know the difference, other than the name

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
It's like comparing regular carrots to organic carrots. Probably won't know the difference, other than the name
and that a 5qt jug of the normal is $25 from walmart

Wife's Car

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra
As long as you don't have an oiled component failure and they test the oil that's in the sump to see if it meets spec required by the manual for warranty purposes. Nothing immediately, may have emissions problems in the long run. But I think that would take longer than most will own the car for that to happen. I am more concerned with my diesel dpf clogging than I would the supra's catalyst.

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
and that a 5qt jug of the normal is $25 from walmart
You'll need 7 quarts for an oil change, so you'll need to buy 2 jugs. The first 2 oil changes are free from Toyota. You can buy the Toyota Care Plus which offers 2 additional oil changes/air filter to 40,000 miles for about $330.

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
You'll need 7 quarts for an oil change, so you'll need to buy 2 jugs. The first 2 oil changes are free from Toyota. You can buy the Toyota Care Plus which offers 2 additional oil changes/air filter to 40,000 miles for about $330.
i do my own oil changes even when it is free to have toyota do them. I have already performed 2 oil changes. One at 700miles and one a year later.

obviously you will need more than one jug but cost per quart is $5 vs the $10 mobil one x2 or whatever it is they call it.

I am not trying to cheap out but if it is just marketing bullshit for 2x the cost when regular mobil one will work fine, then screw the marketing bullshit.

Wife's Car

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra
I do my own also. I will take the money I save by not paying a mechanic and put it into the required
oil and quality filter. I just don't like other people wrenching on my stuff. For what it's worth, gm is the same way with requiring special ac delco dexos d for the 3.0 duramax just like toyota and the supra. I think these oils will be more standard as the emissions tighten

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
My dealer called me and said that they can do my Supra's oil change for only $44 so I should bring her in this weekend.

No way Jose.

..Actually, I think she said her name was Betty.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
Looks like a good buy to me. HTHS viscosity ≥ 3.5 which is good. (Evaporation loss) Noack Volatility at 9.5% was higher than expected, but not necessarily a show stopper, for reference Amsoil is 7.1% Noack Vol. The Total Base Number (TBN) is 11.2 mg KOH/g, which I consider to be on the higher side, so you'll have more than enough protection from the build-up of acids in the lubricant as it breaks down. I believe in 2017 the EPA mandated gasoline will contain an average of 10 ppm sulfur on an annual basis, so post 2017 I'm not as concerned with the US pump gas having too much sulfur and needing a higher TBN for protection, but if you happen to get some gas that isn't as clean sulfur wise, at least you have that added protection. Now that we have the same sulfur content regulation as EU land petrol we can use BMW LL-04 (lower TBN) or BMW LL-01 (higher TBN) spec.
Where are you finding the technical data on the Liquid moly oils? I must be blind.......

Neo1967

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Given the choice would you do your own oil change or have the free complementary oil change done at the dealership?
What has been the experience at the dealership with regards to complementary service and do you recommend I do the oil change myself?
Sponsored