2021 supra

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
FCP Euro liquid Molly change kit with Mann filter. This car couldn't be easier to change the oil on. Dealer ain't touching my car, and not putting anymore of that brown water in it.

20210710_163816.jpg

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thatā€™s the same oil I use in my Supra. It makes the engine run quieter and smoother.
-RJM
Glad to hear someone else say this because after my switch to 5w30 I will swear it runs quite and smoother, but wondered if it was in my head or if others thought the same.

FlynnZero

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
Has anyone gotten Toyota to use the alternative weight of 0w30 in their Supra as part of ToyotaCare or paid-oil change? Alternatively does anyone know if ToyotaCare prevents the tech from using an alternative oil weight?
You can ask the dealer to put in a different oil viscosity with Toyota Care. I had them put in 5W-30 for my first change. 0W-20 is like water in the southern heat.

FlynnZero

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
all the sport cars that i have owned I have always used Mobil 1 FULLY synthetic. Is this forbidden ??? Do u have to use a specific oil? I normally go to a local oil change place. But are the only 2 options...1) doing it urself 2) bring to dealership?

0649BB06-445C-4E89-916C-19818D442D2A.jpeg
Nothing wrong with this oil. People are overreacting IMHO.

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
Nothing wrong with this oil. People are overreacting IMHO.
Don't tell people that.

Generally speaking, no, there really isn't anything wrong with Mobil 1 fully synthetic oils. Honestly, it's a good oil, and is even generally well-regarded with the folks at bobistheoilguy.

That said - Mobil 1 does NOT currently carry any certifications from BMW. Some of their oils used to be LL01 certified, but they lost that certification a few years ago, for some reason.

I'm not sure how Toyota is handling warranty claims on engine issues, but BMW will deny a warranty claim in an instant if they discover you've been using an uncertified oil, and they have every right to do so, crappy as it may be.

On the other side of that, Toyota states that oils that carry the ILSAC certifications are fine for their cars, and Mobil 1 does carry those certifications - though the Supra does use a different oil than the entire rest of their lineup, so that may be a different story.

Really, though - if you're only concerned about your engine, Mobil 1 should be just fine. It isn't my preference, but I don't have any objective reasoning for that. If you're concerned about your warranty, though, you may want to skip the Mobil 1, and either use the OEM brown water, or something that holds one of BMW's LL certifications.

Twundy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
uwgtb.com
Car(s)
Land Cruiser 200 Series, '21 Supra
They do make a ā€œSupra ā€œ0-30 and a 5-40 but itā€™s not sold in the local Toyota dealer !
6AC1E746-FF4E-476D-8011-D149BD545B09.jpeg
Someone should be importing these other oil options! Seems worthwhile for all the people switching to 5W-30, 0W-30, etc to go for the official GR Supra oil. And this seems to put to rest "only official 0W-20 should be used".

Last edited:

darkloki

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra MKIV Turbo Six Speed Getrag v160 BPU
Vehicle Showcase
Don't tell people that.

Generally speaking, no, there really isn't anything wrong with Mobil 1 fully synthetic oils. Honestly, it's a good oil, and is even generally well-regarded with the folks at bobistheoilguy.

That said - Mobil 1 does NOT currently carry any certifications from BMW. Some of their oils used to be LL01 certified, but they lost that certification a few years ago, for some reason.

I'm not sure how Toyota is handling warranty claims on engine issues, but BMW will deny a warranty claim in an instant if they discover you've been using an uncertified oil, and they have every right to do so, crappy as it may be.

On the other side of that, Toyota states that oils that carry the ILSAC certifications are fine for their cars, and Mobil 1 does carry those certifications - though the Supra does use a different oil than the entire rest of their lineup, so that may be a different story.

Really, though - if you're only concerned about your engine, Mobil 1 should be just fine. It isn't my preference, but I don't have any objective reasoning for that. If you're concerned about your warranty, though, you may want to skip the Mobil 1, and either use the OEM brown water, or something that holds one of BMW's LL certifications.
Meh... I went with 0w-20 Mobil 1 because I've only used Mobil One on all of my cars which includes a MKIV Supra, a Porsche 911 Turbo S. All of the Euro Cars use 0w-20 today it seems even the turbo lamborghini's in the shop use 0w-20. If I blow the motor I'll just replace it with a 2JZ, I can't believe this thread had me worried for a little bit this morning after completing my oil change at 30k miles myself, but F it, if it happens it happens, the Car is my daily as I drive the crap out of it, if anything happens to my motor I'll be the first to report it here as I don't mind being the guinea pig.

Last edited:

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
Meh... I went with 0w-20 Mobil 1 because I've only used Mobil One on all of my cars which includes a MKIV Supra, a Porsche 911 Turbo S. All of the Euro Cars use 0w-20 today it seems even the turbo lamborghini's in the shop use 0w-20. If I blow the motor I'll just replace it with a 2JZ, I can't believe this thread had me worried for a little bit this morning after completing my oil change at 30k miles myself, but F it, if it happens it happens, the Car is my daily as I drive the crap out of it, if anything happens to my motor I'll be the first to report it here as I don't mind being the guinea pig.
No reason for the meh - Iā€™m 100% with you. My post is geared towards people who do care about the warranty. We both know that any decent oil isnā€™t going to be the cause of an engine issue, and Mobil 1 is definitely a decent oil. Manufacturers trying to save that warranty money are a different story!

The weight is a different story, but for a different discussion entirely. :)

Sonic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Refraction 2021 A91 Supra
Thatā€™s the same oil I use in my Supra. It makes the engine run quieter and smoother. I needed an oil that would take more abuse than the Gazoo 0w-20. I canā€™t believe how thin that oil is. Its like water when you drain it.

Also, thatā€™s a good price for the kit, I paid $75 through Amazon.

-RJM

E8D469A8-285C-43EA-BB94-F3DB3B957C38.jpeg
Hey

Check out what the note on this oil states:

New BMW's fitted with BXX series engines "Require" 0W-20 LL14FE+ Rated oils. WE DO NOT RECOMMEND using this spec! The levels of protection LL14FE provides are much lower than LL01. The new formulation LL14FE is mainly designed with CAFE ratings, EPA requirements and fuel mileage in mind, NOT OVERALL PROTECTION.

How do like that 0w-20 oil offers less protection, go figure!!!!!

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Hey

Check out what the note on this oil states:

New BMW's fitted with BXX series engines "Require" 0W-20 LL14FE+ Rated oils. WE DO NOT RECOMMEND using this spec! The levels of protection LL14FE provides are much lower than LL01. The new formulation LL14FE is mainly designed with CAFE ratings, EPA requirements and fuel mileage in mind, NOT OVERALL PROTECTION.

How do like that 0w-20 oil offers less protection, go figure!!!!!

This is the correct and current product for the Supra and the BMW engine. You are driving a BMW engine that is the specification data that matters. I am here from Germany in the US. I have a Supra this is what my dealer recommends if not the oil obtained from Toyota. This is the correct and best LIQUI MOLY Product with the current BMW approval. ECS Tuning has this in stock. I order it and will have it this week.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-liqui_moly-parts/top-tec-6600-0w-20-1-liter/22044~liq/

LIQUI MOLY TOP TEC 6600 Synthetic Engine Oil (0W-20) - 1 Liter
For gasoline and diesel vehicles. Specially developed for the requirements of BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Opel and other manufacturers.
Sponsored