Oil pump tsb?

Branflakes123

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Refraction Blue
Went through the process to get the oil level read issue resolved under warranty. When the vehicle is warm, ~100°C oil temp or higher, oil read through iDrive would fail at 20% complete. There were no codes or notable warnings when this happens.

I did some research and found that a lot of people replaced the oil control valve, and the oil level sensor. These had no impact on resolving the issue. The core problem is the old oil pump. I haven't taken one apart, but apparently the old oil pump part # has plastic internals that start to fail from temperature shifts in cold climates. I'm not sure if this will ever lead to a total failure of the oil pump, but I'm not keen on finding out. The new part contains metal internals, supposedly this makes it more robust.

I did not have to fight with the dealership to get this fixed under warranty as the car was obviously having an issue. The difficult part was showing that the oil pump was the issue and not something else. The best way we found to do this, read the oil pressure from OBD while doing an oil level read on the dash. This should give a dealer the data they need to make a warranty claim for a pump.

Toyota originally claimed that there was no TSB or data related to oil pump failures. Hopefully if enough people get this issue resolved, there will be a TSB.
Sponsored

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
Went through the process to get the oil level read issue resolved under warranty. When the vehicle is warm, ~100°C oil temp or higher, oil read through iDrive would fail at 20% complete. There were no codes or notable warnings when this happens.

I did some research and found that a lot of people replaced the oil control valve, and the oil level sensor. These had no impact on resolving the issue. The core problem is the old oil pump. I haven't taken one apart, but apparently the old oil pump part # has plastic internals that start to fail from temperature shifts in cold climates. I'm not sure if this will ever lead to a total failure of the oil pump, but I'm not keen on finding out. The new part contains metal internals, supposedly this makes it more robust.

I did not have to fight with the dealership to get this fixed under warranty as the car was obviously having an issue. The difficult part was showing that the oil pump was the issue and not something else. The best way we found to do this, read the oil pressure from OBD while doing an oil level read on the dash. This should give a dealer the data they need to make a warranty claim for a pump.

Toyota originally claimed that there was no TSB or data related to oil pump failures. Hopefully if enough people get this issue resolved, there will be a TSB.
Good to know, i have the same year/model as you though i do not live in a cold weather environment, i'll keep my eye on this.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
IIRC the 2021+ shouldn't have the old polymer component pumps to begin with, as the all-metal version was implemented in 2020.. It's been a while since I looked though..

ky.supra

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Oil pump will normally not exceed 5.5 bar under wot
Normal oil pressure at idle is between 2.3 bar-2.7 bar

I have a 2020 and sometimes my idrive will fail the oil measurement so I would turn the car off for five to ten minutes, turn it back on and it will complete the oil measurement. You can also measure the oil level through bimmerlink:

100% - 97mm
100% (idrive max) 97-85mm
75% - 84mm
50% - 82mm
25% - 81mm
0% (idrive min.) - 78mm (add a quart signal)

The car's been my DD for two years now with 45k miles, two track days.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5

I have a 2020 and sometimes my idrive will fail the oil measurement so I would turn the car off for five to ten minutes, turn it back on and it will complete the oil measurement. You can also measure the oil level through bimmerlink:

100% - 97mm
75% - 84mm
50% - 82mm
25% - 81mm

12k miles finally. Mostly track. Wish I had a fcuking dipstick. Cheers 🍻

Last edited:

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
I asked about this at dealer, my car is 2019 EU spec, apparently my oil pump number is 15100-WAA03, with no further replacements/revisions in parts catalogue, so I guess mine is metal one from the start?
Cant measure oil lately so was exploring options, seems its the sensor then...

Branflakes123

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Refraction Blue
I asked about this at dealer, my car is 2019 EU spec, apparently my oil pump number is 15100-WAA03, with no further replacements/revisions in parts catalogue, so I guess mine is metal one from the start?
Cant measure oil lately so was exploring options, seems its the sensor then...
Interesting, how do they know that's what pump is in your vehicle? My understanding is 15100-WAA01 is in 2021 and below, at least in the US. But the pump is inside the oil pan, so I'm not sure how they could tell you which pump you have without taking the car apart.

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
Interesting, how do they know that's what pump is in your vehicle? My understanding is 15100-WAA01 is in 2021 and below, at least in the US. But the pump is inside the oil pan, so I'm not sure how they could tell you which pump you have without taking the car apart.
He said there was no other part number in the system for the pump since 2019 for eu 3.0, nothing was changed since release, its the same number so I guess thats how? He checked if there was 01 or 02 in the end and there was none, saw myself.

Branflakes123

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Refraction Blue

100% - 97mm
75% - 84mm
50% - 82mm
25% - 81mm

Yes turning the car off for a bit can get the function to work, apparently that has to do with oil temperature. You can test this by trying to measure the level again once the oil temp hits around 97°C. Either way, the pump is not working as intended and I plan to keep the car for a long time. So it was worth taking advantage of the warranty while I still had it.
I do measure the oil level with bimmerlink, the dash is useless for that, but this issue was more about potential part failure, rather than recovering the oil level iDrive function

56k miles

Branflakes123

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Refraction Blue
He said there was no other part number in the system for the pump since 2019 for eu 3.0, nothing was changed since release, its the same number so I guess thats how? He checked if there was 01 or 02 in the end and there was none, saw myself.
Interesting, I can see the old pump number on Toyotas parts site. Maybe it is different for EU:
https://autoparts.toyota.com/products/product/pump-assy-oil-15100waa01
Along with the new one: https://autoparts.toyota.com/products/product/pump-assy-oil-15100waa03

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
Yes turning the car off for a bit can get the function to work, apparently that has to do with oil temperature. You can test this by trying to measure the level again once the oil temp hits around 97°C. Either way, the pump is not working as intended and I plan to keep the car for a long time. So it was worth taking advantage of the warranty while I still had it.
I do measure the oil level with bimmerlink, the dash is useless for that, but this issue was more about potential part failure, rather than recovering the oil level iDrive function

56k miles
Interesting. I've never tried to measure the oil using Bimmerlink. Is it done after the car has warmed up after a drive or when cold? Engine on or off?

Branflakes123

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Refraction Blue
Interesting. I've never tried to measure the oil using Bimmerlink. Is it done after the car has warmed up after a drive or when cold? Engine on or off?
The levels mentioned above by @ky.supra are on level ground with the car running at idle. I'd recommend while the vehicle is warm for the most accuracy

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
The levels mentioned above by @ky.supra are on level ground with the car running at idle. I'd recommend while the vehicle is warm for the most accuracy
So basically after a "30 minute drive" just like the iDrive instructions. 👍

dinolz

First Name
christophe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SUPRA MK5
HELLO guys

got the same probleme, cant make oil lvl, failing at 18%, 2019 supra

oil pressure is good in bimmerlink etc, car drive fine, no oil consumption

in order to make my warranty work, i will need to update the ecu to toyota dealership in belgium, this will lock it ... do you know if you have to go for a femto unlock after that? some people say you need "bench unlock" it's not the same as 2021 locked supra,

there is no way i drive the supra in stock form, if my ecu get locked and can't ulock it after this, i will sell it

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
HELLO guys

got the same probleme, cant make oil lvl, failing at 18%, 2019 supra

oil pressure is good in bimmerlink etc, car drive fine, no oil consumption

in order to make my warranty work, i will need to update the ecu to toyota dealership in belgium, this will lock it ... do you know if you have to go for a femto unlock after that? some people say you need "bench unlock" it's not the same as 2021 locked supra,

there is no way i drive the supra in stock form, if my ecu get locked and can't ulock it after this, i will sell it
Pre june 2020 ECU's only need a bench unlock after being relocked. No FEMTO. I just bench unlocked mine after getting all software updated via Toyota ISTA. Took 6 secs to unlock.
Sponsored