Painting the stock rims ?

Lil Grey Supra

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Camaro - 427ci LSX turbo'd, 2016 RAM 2500, 2021 GR Supra 3.0 Prem
I saw this thread and thought to myself "I wonder if it will actually look good and be of some quality". You guys were not wrong - I finished up spraying Super Wrap last night and am fairly pleased. Aside from the tedious task of masking the tires and inner wheel, the spray portion went well. I decided to go with Onyx but almost stopped after the Gloss Black coat went on - it looked really good. After about 20 mins of hand wringing (and wondering if my wife will kill me if I screw this up - because it's her car) I went ahead and sprayed the onyx and it laid down extremely well.

Quick question - I also bought the satin clear but don't know if I want to spray it since I really like the look without it. Anyone here with an experienced opinion? I do not want to lighten the the wheels up any more as I want a fair amount of contrast between the wheels and car. Thinking the satin might catch/diffuse light in a way that might lighten the look.

Echo some tips:

1. Cut about 2-3 inch sections of masking tape for the face of the tire. A PITA but the only way to get it to stick and fit well in between the tire and the wheel.
2. I taped up to the slight angle that sits just inside the face of the wheel (on the inner wheel). If you spray fairly horizontal, you do not need to worry about hyper accurate masking of that slight contour - the paint will fall away and does not really stick below it. I can explain better if anyone needs
3. Get the spray handle/trigger that fits over the can - its a must!
4. Placing the cans in hot water is the best hack ever - can't believe I have never thought to do it myself.
5. Use the paint can lids to prop one side of the tire up so the aerosol and particles have some place to go.

Pics to follow once I get them back on the car.

Last edited:

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I saw this thread and thought to myself "I wonder if it will actually look good and be of some quality". You guys were not wrong - I finished up spraying Super Wrap last night and am fairly pleased. Aside from the tedious task of masking the tires and inner wheel, the spray portion went well. I decided to go with Onyx but almost stopped after the Gloss Black coat went on - it looked really good. After about 20 mins of hand wringing (and wondering if my wife will kill me if I screw this up - because it's her car) I went ahead and sprayed the onyx and it laid down extremely well.

Quick question - I also bought the satin clear but don't know if I want to spray it since I really like the look without it. Anyone here with an experienced opinion? I do not want to lighten the the wheels up any more as I want a fair amount of contrast between the wheels and car. Thinking the satin might catch/diffuse light in a way that might lighten the look.

Echo some tips:

1. Cut about 2-3 inch sections of masking tape for the face of the tire. A PITA but the only way to get it to stick and fit well in between the tire and the wheel.
2. I taped up to the slight angle that sits just inside the face of the wheel (on the inner wheel). If you spray fairly horizontal, you do not need to worry about hyper accurate masking of that slight contour - the paint will fall away and does not really stick below it. I can explain better if anyone needs
3. Get the spray handle/trigger that fits over the can - its a must!
4. Placing the cans in hot water is the best hack ever - can't believe I have never thought to do it myself.
5. Use the paint can lids to prop one side of the tire up so the aerosol and particles have some place to go.

Pics to follow once I get them back on the car.
Do not spray them with the clear coat you will be upset. I tried it once and the clear paints seems to reactivate the base coat and then mixes together and causes a mess!

All good tips you list there. The trigger handle is mandatory, your index finger will thank you later. haha

I like to spray downward with the wheel laying flat. This way gravity pulls the paint toward the barrel instead of pooling in the contours of the wheel. I always spray the barrel first then the outside so that overspray doesn’t show up on the final look.

Post pics when you have a chance.

-RJM

Lil Grey Supra

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That bronze color really works well with the white cars.

-RJM
Do not spray them with the clear coat you will be upset. I tried it once and the clear paints seems to reactivate the base coat and then mixes together and causes a mess!

All good tips you list there. The trigger handle is mandatory, your index finger will thank you later. haha

I like to spray downward with the wheel laying flat. This way gravity pulls the paint toward the barrel instead of pooling in the contours of the wheel. I always spray the barrel first then the outside so that overspray doesn’t show up on the final look.

-RJM
Yep - that's what I meant yet failed to convey about spraying - it's what I did. Copy on the powder coat! Thank you

Lil Grey Supra

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

-RJM
Yep - that's what I meant yet failed to convey about spraying - it's what I did. Copy on the powder coat! Thank you

starman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0P
Finally put her back on the ground. A lil concerned about durability but like the look
Looks good (we have same color car). I like that you also blacked out the center cap (didn't think about that). I'm scheduling mine for powder coating end of month. Getting it Matte Black with 30% gloss.

Lil Grey Supra

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Looks good (we have same color car). I like that you also blacked out the center cap (didn't think about that). I'm scheduling mine for powder coating end of month. Getting it Matte Black with 30% gloss.
Nice! Thinking if durability isn't good. I will get these powder coated as well.

Twundy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
uwgtb.com
Car(s)
Land Cruiser 200 Series, '21 Supra
Has anyone tried removing the black from the stock wheels (chemical stripping or sandblasting, then machining/polishing), and having the wheels in a fully machined finish? Maybe with a clear coat after. Should have a much more crisp and realistic metal look than a silver powder coat.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
I did gloss black, but after a month of brake dust accumulation they’re basically satin now, lol
Mine's been a week, and farther than 15-20 feet away, it looks satin black as well. I also got some gloss black A91 replica stripes and the Rexspeed wing, and it gives the car a much more aggressive track look.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I just want to know what dum-dum at Toyota thought people would prefer two-tone half-polished wheels or wouldn't think people would at least want the option of silver/grey or black wheels on the 3.0/3.0 Premium?:dunno: It's so silly that they think Supra buyers want $1000 mirror end caps but not normal-looking wheels.
Sponsored