Should Toyota Supra keep FT-1 2+2 configuration? Or lose backseats?

What do you think should happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
i agreed it appears to be a two seater based on the spied shots. playing devil's advocate for the moment; as someone mention they could threw some back seats in like with the oversea FD. looking at its side profile most people would never expect it to have backseats.

if they do this, IMO it would further differentiate it from a two seater Z5.

3655475845_56bcfc1beb.jpg

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
The FT1 concept was certainly a 2+2 and Toyota has historically avoided 2-seaters in general probably since it doesn't really fit the brand's practical image. The German camouflaged car, that everyone thinks is the next Supra, is a 2-seater without a doubt. Regardless of the dimensions the OP pointed out, you can clearly tell from many of the spy pics which showed a bit of the interior. Since there have been no true confirmation ever recorded on tape or video between Toyota/BMW, I personally do not believe that mule has anything to do with Toyota or the new Supra and I still think Toyota will use the LC500 platform/chassis which we all know is indeed a 2+2.

FYI the LFA and the MR2 have been the only Toyotas from the past 30 years without backseats.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
The FT1 concept was certainly a 2+2 and Toyota has historically avoided 2-seaters in general probably since it doesn't really fit the brand's practical image. The German camouflaged car, that everyone thinks is the next Supra, is a 2-seater without a doubt. Regardless of the dimensions the OP pointed out, you can clearly tell from many of the spy pics which showed a bit of the interior. Since there have been no true confirmation ever recorded on tape or video between Toyota/BMW, I personally do not believe that mule has anything to do with Toyota or the new Supra and I still think Toyota will use the LC500 platform/chassis which we all know is indeed a 2+2.

FYI the LFA and the MR2 have been the only Toyotas from the past 30 years without backseats.
FT1 did have back seats, but it was built on a Lexus RC chassis. Toyota has said a production car will be 10% smaller.

no video, but there is an official press release where both BMW & Toyota have confirmed they are working on joint midsize sports car.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/glob...ion-by-signing-binding-agreements?language=en

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
FT1 did have back seats, but it was built on a Lexus RC chassis. Toyota has said a production car will be 10% smaller.

no video, but there is an official press release where both BMW & Toyota have confirmed they are working on joint midsize sports car.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/glob...ion-by-signing-binding-agreements?language=en
The FT1 uses a RC chassis? lol? Toyota has said the production will be 10% smaller? Lol again...no one on this forum uses sources, get out... First off no one cares to know about chassis is beneath the FT1, it is a concept car it makes no difference about what chassis/platform actually gets used for production. And secondly, Toyota has never officially stated anything about the production car being smaller. It was a fake quote made up along with 99% of the other Supra articles that have come out in since the FT1 was showcased. Regardless, your reply has nothing to do with the 2-seater or 2+2 concern...if Toyota can make a sports car as small as a GT86 with 2+2 seating then the size has nothing to do with it.

...and the BMW/Toyota bullshit still means nothing to me...do you know how many automaker alliances have fallen apart especially between EUDM and JDM brands? Until something official is launched it is all talk and silly speculation.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Everything Toyota and Calty have indicated points to a 911-style 2+2. Basically unusuable backseat unless you have tiny children. There have been no hints of a 2 seater.

Pictures and shape are deceiving. As others have pointed out before, the 86 is a 2+2 and there's hardly enough room in the front seat, let alone the back.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
The FT1 uses a RC chassis? lol? Toyota has said the production will be 10% smaller? Lol again...no one on this forum uses sources, get out... First off no one cares to know about chassis is beneath the FT1, it is a concept car it makes no difference about what chassis/platform actually gets used for production. And secondly, Toyota has never officially stated anything about the production car being smaller. It was a fake quote made up along with 99% of the other Supra articles that have come out in since the FT1 was showcased. Regardless, your reply has nothing to do with the 2-seater or 2+2 concern...if Toyota can make a sports car as small as a GT86 with 2+2 seating then the size has nothing to do with it.

...and the BMW/Toyota bullshit still means nothing to me...do you know how many automaker alliances have fallen apart especially between EUDM and JDM brands? Until something official is launched it is all talk and silly speculation.
FT-1 Dimensions
Wheelbase
(107.9 in)
Length (184.1 in)
Width (77.6 in)
Height (48.2 in)

Lexus RC Dimensions
Wheelbase
(107.5 in)
Length (184.8 in)
Width (72.4 in)
Height (54.9 in)

the quote about it being 10% smaller was from autonews.com which is a pretty respectable source. I know the 86 is smaller and has backseats. I was just stating if it were to become a 2 seater one reason could be because the production car is smaller overall than the concept and engineers and designers may feel that the backseats are useless and space wasted anyways, so why not make it lighter.

the press release is all we have to go by at time unless you have info that says otherwise.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
FT-1 Dimensions
Wheelbase
(107.9 in)
Length (184.1 in)
Width (77.6 in)
Height (48.2 in)

Lexus RC Dimensions
Wheelbase
(107.5 in)
Length (184.8 in)
Width (72.4 in)
Height (54.9 in)

the quote about it being 10% smaller was from autonews.com which is a pretty respectable source. I know the 86 is smaller and has backseats. I was just stating if it were to become a 2 seater one reason could be because the production car is smaller overall than the concept and engineers and designers may feel that the backseats are useless and space wasted anyways, so why not make it lighter.

the press release is all we have to go by at time unless you have info that says otherwise.
..so since the dimensions are similar, you assume it is the RC underneath? lol...still doesn't make a difference though, it is a concept car, who cares.

As far as the production car being 10% smaller, the quote comes from here - http://www.autonews.com/article/20140113/OEM04/140119925/toyota-concept-hints-at-new-supra - I have my doubts because any modern journalist has a tape or video of such important conversations just like during the GT86/BRZ's rise to fame but virtually everything about the FT1/Supra/BMW partnership bullshit has all been in text...Shattered Glass is reenacted all over the internet for the auto industry..regardless, the size of the concept is just as pointless as what chassis it uses, concepts are design studies at the end of the day.

...but if we use that article as gospel, then it adds another piece of the puzzle hinting that Toyota indeed wants a 2+2 setup....but once again this brings up the contradiction that the mule car was a 2-seater and from everything we know about the BMW Zs, they are purely 2-seater roadsters..never in history has a 2-seater roadster platform/chassis also get converted to allow a 2+2 coupe configuration.

Toyota benchmarking the 911 in the other thread is the only real piece of evidence thus far. Toyota will be busy releasing the Lexus LC over the next year which will give them plenty of time to develop the Supra in time for the 30 year anniversary.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
..so since the dimensions are similar, you assume it is the RC underneath? lol...still doesn't make a difference though, it is a concept car, who cares.

As far as the production car being 10% smaller, the quote comes from here - http://www.autonews.com/article/20140113/OEM04/140119925/toyota-concept-hints-at-new-supra - I have my doubts because any modern journalist has a tape or video of such important conversations just like during the GT86/BRZ's rise to fame but virtually everything about the FT1/Supra/BMW partnership bullshit has all been in text...Shattered Glass is reenacted all over the internet for the auto industry..regardless, the size of the concept is just as pointless as what chassis it uses, concepts are design studies at the end of the day.

...but if we use that article as gospel, then it adds another piece of the puzzle hinting that Toyota indeed wants a 2+2 setup....but once again this brings up the contradiction that the mule car was a 2-seater and from everything we know about the BMW Zs, they are purely 2-seater roadsters..never in history has a 2-seater roadster platform/chassis also get converted to allow a 2+2 coupe configuration.

Toyota benchmarking the 911 in the other thread is the only real piece of evidence thus far. Toyota will be busy releasing the Lexus LC over the next year which will give them plenty of time to develop the Supra in time for the 30 year anniversary.
i would think so. kinda common sense that they would use an existing chassis to built a concept car. everyone here understand what a concept car is, pretty much a shell over a chassis. i already explained why i brought it up in my other post.

the designers wanted a 2+2, but we all know the engineering team has their say as well. just because designers want something doesn't mean its going to happen.

as others have pointed out, there is usually room in a lot of two seaters for back seats. the FD RX7 and 350z are good examples.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
i would think so. kinda common sense that they would use an existing chassis to built a concept car. everyone here understand what a concept car is, pretty much a shell over a chassis. i already explained why i brought it up in my other post.

the designers wanted a 2+2, but we all know the engineering team has their say as well. just because designers want something doesn't mean its going to happen.

as others have pointed out, there is usually room in a lot of two seaters for back seats. the FD RX7 and 350z are good examples.
lol XD have you been in a 350z/RX7 versus GT86? If you thought the 2 back seats in the 86 are unusable, then backseats for the 350z/RX7 are downright hilarious...at least I was able to take 3 slim and fit passengers in my 86 going to Vegas and back.

Regardless, you are betting against Toyota's history...as I pointed out, the only two 2-seaters Toyota has offered in the past 30 years were the MR2 and LFA, both for very good reasons...reasons that don't apply to the FT1/Supra successor..especially after considering the real bits of evidence with the 911 benchmarking, FT1 concept and Lexus LC configuration..

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
lol XD have you been in a 350z/RX7 versus GT86? If you thought the 2 back seats in the 86 are unusable, then backseats for the 350z/RX7 are downright hilarious...at least I was able to take 3 slim and fit passengers in my 86 going to Vegas and back.

Regardless, you are betting against Toyota's history...as I pointed out, the only two 2-seaters Toyota has offered in the past 30 years were the MR2 and LFA, both for very good reasons...reasons that don't apply to the FT1/Supra successor..especially after considering the real bits of evidence with the 911 benchmarking, FT1 concept and Lexus LC configuration..
no i haven't been in the back of the 86 or FD, but since you are bringing up the Supra i think the backseats in the MKIV were pretty useless.

im just saying the spy shots look like a 2 seater to me. but as others have pointed out there could be some kind of backseats stuff back there. i don't really know, im just stating my opinion based on visual.

and lets not forget about the 2000GT. they did bring that name up quite a bit in the FT1 videos ;)

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
no i haven't been in the back of the 86 or FD, but since you are bringing up the Supra i think the backseats in the MKIV were pretty useless.

im just saying the spy shots look like a 2 seater to me. but as others have pointed out there could be some kind of backseats stuff back there. i don't really know, im just stating my opinion based on visual.

and lets not forget about the 2000GT. they did bring that name up quite a bit in the FT1 videos ;)
Supra backseats are better than the GT86..all 2+2s will struggle with praticality obviously but if they are full sized cars like some of the muscle cars, MKIV Supra, M3, etc they are long enough to have "usable" back seats.

yes...I pointed that out, the mule clearly only has 2 seats...this is only a problem if you believe that car has anything to do with a Supra...so if you just disregard the mule, everything else still points to a 2+2 configuration.

Toyota brings up the 2000GT for every sports car they introduced so it doesn't mean much..plus the MKIV Supra and the 86 were both styled after the 2000GT and look how that turned out.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
Supra backseats are better than the GT86..all 2+2s will struggle with praticality obviously but if they are full sized cars like some of the muscle cars, MKIV Supra, M3, etc they are long enough to have "usable" back seats.

yes...I pointed that out, the mule clearly only has 2 seats...this is only a problem if you believe that car has anything to do with a Supra...so if you just disregard the mule, everything else still points to a 2+2 configuration.

Toyota brings up the 2000GT for every sports car they introduced so it doesn't mean much..plus the MKIV Supra and the 86 were both styled after the 2000GT and look how that turned out.
i don't believe the Supra was ever classified as full size, maybe midsize. also the whole class size can be deceiving. longer cars like the C7 and Viper have only 2 seats.

agreed, rooks like a 2 seater to me. but others on here are saying they may still somehow throw some back seats there.

more so the 86 and FT1 in my opinion. im just thinking if the car in question is more of a 2000GT successor, than a 2 seater is appropriate.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
i don't believe the Supra was ever classified as full size, maybe midsize. also the whole class size can be deceiving. longer cars like the C7 and Viper have only 2 seats.

agreed, rooks like a 2 seater to me. but others on here are saying they may still somehow throw some back seats there.

more so the 86 and FT1 in my opinion. im just thinking if the car in question is more of a 2000GT successor, than a 2 seater is appropriate.
Deceiving? Bro for coupes it doesn't matter, there ain't separate classes for full size/mid size/etc...fact is the MKIV Supra is large compared to the Celica, GT86, S2000, RX7, etc. The C7 and Viper being 2-seaters are pointless facts in this conversation, Toyota historically has never cared about using those sort of coupes as benchmarks.

Clearly you're set on thinking Toyota would prefer to use a BMW roadster platform, turn it into a coupe and add two hilarious buckets in the back. They will be the first company to manage such a feat with a roadster. Good laughs.

A 2000GT successor? Do you want a car that costs 6 figures? The 2000GT was expensive compared to its class and so was the LFA, which is the only true successor of the 2000GT thus far.. Don't get me wrong, they aren't overpriced in my eyes (for many people they were) but Toyota isn't trying to play in that field right now...it has been said that we won't see a 2000GT/LFA successor probably for another generation. This FT1 could only logically be a successor to the Supra.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.