Should Toyota Supra keep FT-1 2+2 configuration? Or lose backseats?

What do you think should happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Supra93

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
yes it can be deceiving but there is nothing hinting that the supra replacement will be a 2+2...all the mule pictures merely show a shelf in the back which I assume is part of the liftback trunk kinda like the MK4's...yes, the space between the door and the rear arch on the MK3 is a bit small but it is still proportionally longer than any of the mules we have seen..if they stuff +2 seats, gosh the packaging will be a joke...

...and I don't consider such +2 seating to be "useless". I have taken many trips with 4 people in my 86, 240SX and Celica plus not to mention how much more practical it is for daily items..I would much prefer +2 seats but if they are going in this direction it better be a damn good 2 seater..
Right, we don't have any proof for a 2+2. Really wish spy photographers would take some interior pics so we can put this to rest. Yes, there are areas on the prototype that look smaller due to the door curving in more; vs the MK3 which is more straight. In the comparison below the cabin and overall length does appear to be proportional to the MKIV, so I think there is room for backseats of some form if they choose. We'll just have to wait and see.

I never said all +2 were useless. I was just using the SC430 as an example and other have said 911. Sure some are more practical than others, but in my opinion these two really are useless. Personally it doesn't matter too me, this will not be my daily or people hauler.

X3yv6fa.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
yeah if we zoom in on the close up photos we really dont see anything back there. but since it still is a mule/prototype than maybe the interior isnt compete yet :hmm:

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
i doubt bmw/toyota would go through the trouble to add +2 seating on a 2 seater roadster platform..

MotorFF

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had adults in the back of my 86 quite a few times, some trips up to 300km per day, not comfortable but manageable. Folding seats (as important as this being a 2+2 for me), and with them folded down also allows good load carriage in the 86 - I actually fit MTB into my 86 (both wheels off).
If this is a pure 2 seater I will not have any further interest.

Reactions: HKz

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
I don't think the majority of people that are in the market for a car like this will have it as their only car or expect to haul around 3-4 people. It is a sports car after all. However, a 2+2 would have been more useful and practical. You could use the back seats for kids or just to store junk. But if it only comes as a 2 seater it wouldn't deter me from buying one. I would just have to keep something else on hand when needing more room.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
I don't think the majority of people that are in the market for a car like this will have it as their only car or expect to haul around 3-4 people. It is a sports car after all. However, a 2+2 would have been more useful and practical. You could use the back seats for kids or just to store junk. But if it only comes as a 2 seater it wouldn't deter me from buying one. I would just have to keep something else on hand when needing more room.
it isn't just for more practicality, the space for the +2 seating usually has a indirect effect on the amount of space the driver & co-driver have since the packaging is different. i remember how tight my father's MR2 was and the S2000 feels much more snug despite having nearly the same length & weight as the 86/BRZ. not that being snug in a sports car is necessarily a bad thing, but this applies to cup holders, glove box, etc.. 2+2 designs are more attractive to a larger audience..I don't think the R35 and 911s would be as heralded without their backseats..

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
it isn't just for more practicality, the space for the +2 seating usually has a indirect effect on the amount of space the driver & co-driver have since the packaging is different. i remember how tight my father's MR2 was and the S2000 feels much more snug despite having nearly the same length & weight as the 86/BRZ. not that being snug in a sports car is necessarily a bad thing, but this applies to cup holders, glove box, etc.. 2+2 designs are more attractive to a larger audience..I don't think the R35 and 911s would be as heralded without their backseats..
I think it will be just fine; your two examples are pretty tiny cars. It doesn't look very small from the spy shots. The S2k is roughly the same width, but comes in 4.7 inches shorter vs the 86. Not all two seaters feel super tight. IMO, the 350z and Corvette feels pretty spacist for a 2 seater, especially when compared to something like the RX7 or Miata. One would think that a 2+2 would attractive more buyers, but the Corvette seems to be doing just fine. Those two will always have their loyal followers regardless. I also recall alot of 911 owners complaining about the backseats being useless.

Last edited:

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
I think it will be just fine. It doesn't look very small from the spy shots. The S2k is roughly the same width, but comes in 4.7 inches shorter vs the 86. Not all two seaters feel super tight. IMO, the 350z and Corvette feels pretty spacist for a 2 seater, especially when compared to something like the RX7 or Miata. One would think that a 2+2 would attractive more buyers, but the Corvette seems to be doing just fine. Those two will always have their loyal followers regardless. I also recall alot of 911 owners complaining about the backseats being useless.
eh, the Corvette only has American appeal..it's popularity is mainly because it is their go to sports car for any retiree and its packaging is kinda poor...nearly a whole foot longer than the 86 despite no backseats and a tight trunk.. Yes, the 350Z is rather spacious for a 2 seater as both its wheelbase and length are slightly longer than the 86..and @gymratter has shown there were even some that actually put back seats in their Z. Nearly all 2+2s have their detractors regarding the backseats, just look at any forum regarding the R35, GT86, Mustang/Camaro, etc...no matter what, +2 seating isn't intended for heavy usage or even convenience so that automatically makes people look at the setup from a "half empty" state of mind.

Last edited:

jmc08

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Celica Supra
I sure hope it will be a 2+2 seater! There is no denying the usability of that space for all the things you want to bring along. I am looking forward to having atleast one of my modern sports cars be one in which I can bring my wife and kids out in all at the same time. All prior Supras have had four seats, a genuine two seater has very limited appeal.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
I think there is definitely room for some back seats. It appears to have more space behind the driver seat than past Zs.

Toyota-Supra-2018-par-David-Donckerwolke-pour-The-Automobilist.jpg
Good point. Seems to be a lot of space behind the driver.

Otherwise roof would probably slope down sooner than that.

And then there's the fact that FT1 had backseats and Toyota told us they were ripping off the 2+2 setup from the 911 since the beginning...

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Two feet
Good point. Seems to be a lot of space behind the driver.

Otherwise roof would probably slope down sooner than that.

And then there's the fact that FT1 had backseats and Toyota told us they were ripping off the 2+2 setup from the 911 since the beginning...
Having had two seaters in the past, I can attest that I wish I could fit some friends back there. 99% of the time 2 seats was enough but that one time you want to all go in one car I wish that car was mine.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.