Should Toyota Supra keep FT-1 2+2 configuration? Or lose backseats?

What do you think should happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
Deceiving? Bro for coupes it doesn't matter, there ain't separate classes for full size/mid size/etc...fact is the MKIV Supra is large compared to the Celica, GT86, S2000, RX7, etc. The C7 and Viper being 2-seaters are pointless facts in this conversation, Toyota historically has never cared about using those sort of coupes as benchmarks.

Clearly you're set on thinking Toyota would prefer to use a BMW roadster platform, turn it into a coupe and add two hilarious buckets in the back. They will be the first company to manage such a feat with a roadster. Good laughs.

A 2000GT successor? Do you want a car that costs 6 figures? The 2000GT was expensive compared to its class and so was the LFA, which is the only true successor of the 2000GT thus far.. Don't get me wrong, they aren't overpriced in my eyes (for many people they were) but Toyota isn't trying to play in that field right now...it has been said that we won't see a 2000GT/LFA successor probably for another generation. This FT1 could only logically be a successor to the Supra.
the MKIV Supra (177.8 in) was about the same size as the Celica coupe (177.0 in) and hatchback (174.2 in). i never said the C7 and Viper were benchmarks. all im saying is a larger car like the C7 and Viper can be two seaters while a smaller car like the 86 and SF-R concept can be a 2+2... that is what i meant by "size can be deceiving".

im just going by spy photos that could possibly be the Supra prototype and a press release. thats all we have, unless you have some insider info that we don't know about. if so, than please do share.

really? many consider the Supra line to be the successor to the 2000GT. but moving on the price of the Supra in the 90s with the rate of inflation wasn't exactly cheap either ;)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
If you read the interviews, watch the videos, etc. from FT1, it's very, very apparent that they are blatantly, shamelessly following in the footsteps of 911 with a 2 + barely-usable-2 setup. And FT1 itself was a 2+2 with backseats and seat belts and everything. 911 keeps its 2+2 setup even though no adult can sit back there because it helps them sell a few more cars per year. That 2+2 formula has worked well for 911 and Toyota is keen to emulate. Personally I'd prefer a true 2-seater in a sportscar but the extra seats in the back won't bother me.

Whether or not the concept was on the "RC chassis" is not particularly relevant, given that this car will be on a new platform. Also given that the RC chassis is unibody, whatever was an "RC chassis" would have had to be highly reworked to me molded into the shape of an FT1. Again it doesn't matter if a concept rolls on a sled.

Rear seats don't have any impact on insurance ratings. Insurance is set by anticipated claims, not by seats or doors or cubic inches. They might have 50 years ago, but these days premiums are set based on sophisticated analysis of risk by actuaries. A 2 seater Corvette or Viper will be much cheaper to insure than a 2+2 Nissan GTR or a 4 door Mitsubishi Evo. Even a Honda Civic in many circumstances.

OP
OP
Supra93

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Supra backseats are better than the GT86..all 2+2s will struggle with praticality obviously but if they are full sized cars like some of the muscle cars, MKIV Supra, M3, etc they are long enough to have "usable" back seats.
The interior space of the FRS and last Supra are about the same. The Supra just had a longer/taller hood and more junk in the trunk.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
the BMW version looks like its a 2+2, no?

BMW%20Z5%20Open%20Top%205.jpg

BMW%20Z5%20Open%20Top%206.jpg

BMW%20Z5%20Open%20Top%207.jpg

Last edited:

323 Rider

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ducati
I don't think so. There's barely any space back there even for a super small seat.

Those rear headrest looking things could just be rollover protection hoops?

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
I don't think so. There's barely any space back there even for a super small seat.

Those rear headrest looking things could just be rollover protection hoops?
yeah i think you're right, the current Z4 has something similar.

bmw-z4---driven-3_600x0w.jpg

Sun Devil

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
current: 2016 Audi A7 . Past: 996TT,997cab, 997TT, R8 V10, 13 FR-S
Since the 86 has 2+2 ... I don't see why they would change their pattern for the Supra.

Admittedly I would prefer 2 seats only since the rear seats are most likely a joke just like on the 86. They also add a few pounds of unnecessary weight.

2 seater with a bench back there for my golf clubs.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Since the 86 has 2+2 ... I don't see why they would change their pattern for the Supra.

Admittedly I would prefer 2 seats only since the rear seats are most likely a joke just like on the 86. They also add a few pounds of unnecessary weight.

2 seater with a bench back there for my golf clubs.
I have taken plenty of roadtrips with my 86 having 2 people in the back. as long as you're fit and shorter than 6'00 it is manageable especially if the people in the back sit pretzel style or if you just have one person you can have them sit sideways. Besides my aesthetic preference of 2+2s, I would be DDing the car so the practicality helps.

Sun Devil

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
current: 2016 Audi A7 . Past: 996TT,997cab, 997TT, R8 V10, 13 FR-S
I have taken plenty of roadtrips with my 86 having 2 people in the back. as long as you're fit and shorter than 6'00 it is manageable especially if the people in the back sit pretzel style or if you just have one person you can have them sit sideways. Besides my aesthetic preference of 2+2s, I would be DDing the car so the practicality helps.
Agree that 2+2 much more practical.

FRS-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hot Lava FR-S
One nice thing I like about the 86 2+2 is the fact you can fold the rear seats flat and fit a full set of wheels to take to the track if needed.
Yea they might be useless for grown human beings but great for transporting.

modp-1209-12+2013-scion-fr-s+backseat.jpg

OP
OP
Supra93

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
The space between the door and wheel arch can be deceiving. The MK3 is a good example. If there will be backseats than it will most likely be useless like the SC430. Or maybe a bench storage area like on the SL and FD RX7.

impp_1104_09_o%2B1989_toyota_supra%2Bside_view.jpg

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
The space between the door and wheel arch can be deceiving. The MK3 is a good example. If there will be backseats than it will most likely be useless like the SC430. Or maybe a bench storage area like on the SL and FD RX7.

impp_1104_09_o%2B1989_toyota_supra%2Bside_view.jpg
yes it can be deceiving but there is nothing hinting that the supra replacement will be a 2+2...all the mule pictures merely show a shelf in the back which I assume is part of the liftback trunk kinda like the MK4's...yes, the space between the door and the rear arch on the MK3 is a bit small but it is still proportionally longer than any of the mules we have seen..if they stuff +2 seats, gosh the packaging will be a joke...

DSC_4597.jpg

...and I don't consider such +2 seating to be "useless". I have taken many trips with 4 people in my 86, 240SX and Celica plus not to mention how much more practical it is for daily items..I would much prefer +2 seats but if they are going in this direction it better be a damn good 2 seater..
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.