First Name
Vago
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium ā€œTurbulence Grayā€
Interesting, is this with the full "plus" setting or individual with engine and trans set to plus?
At first, right after I coded in the Sport+Plus Mode into the ECU, I started testing it through the individual driver settings. Then after trying so many different variations and configuration mashup I decided to just test the car In each of their perspective modes only. I spent a full day in each mode and after the third day I repeated it so essentially spending one week of testing.
1 day in Sport+Plus Mode.
1 day in Sport Mode.
1 day in Normal Mode.
Then repeated this a second time.

Talking Point: ā€œGAS-PEDALā€ and Sport+Plus

ā€œSport+Plus Mode Exclusively and using the ā€œGAS-PEDALā€ To somehow toggle between all the different nuances of Downshifts, Up-Shifts and Torque.

I noticed when I first programmed Sport+Plus Mode and then started driving to test it out. The car seemed as if it was hesitating and a little confused. Like it took a while for the ECU to recognize the new coded mode. The downshifting started to get more aggressive and then I thought wow this is awesome. Then
that weird upshift would smooth the ride out after I stop driving aggressively. Then as soon as I started driving aggressively it seemed like the transmission WOKE-Up and started the downshifting and held the downshift into the higher RPMs and held it there. I started driving more aggressively it would hold red line pause before shifting. Just an FYIā€¦ 2022 Supras torque range is at higher RPMs, and in the 2020 supra which torque kicks in at lower RPMs seems to spin the wheels.

Takeaway:

Seems that when I was exclusively in Sport+Plus Mode I finally figured out that I can use the gas pedal to actually control the car through the whole mappingā€¦ not just in normal or sport modeā€¦ it seems as ā€œSport+Plusā€ has all the modes built into it and you can use the gas pedal and youā€™re driving to follow through all your needs as neededā€¦ On Demand..
Sponsored

Xproplayer

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra White
At first, right after I coded in the Sport+Plus Mode into the ECU, I started testing it through the individual driver settings. Then after trying so many different variations and configuration mashup I decided to just test the car In each of their perspective modes only. I spent a full day in each mode and after the third day I repeated it so essentially spending one week of testing.
1 day in Sport+Plus Mode.
1 day in Sport Mode.
1 day in Normal Mode.
Then repeated this a second time.

Talking Point: ā€œGAS-PEDALā€ and Sport+Plus

ā€œSport+Plus Mode Exclusively and using the ā€œGAS-PEDALā€ To somehow toggle between all the different nuances of Downshifts, Up-Shifts and Torque.

I noticed when I first programmed Sport+Plus Mode and then started driving to test it out. The car seemed as if it was hesitating and a little confused. Like it took a while for the ECU to recognize the new coded mode. The downshifting started to get more aggressive and then I thought wow this is awesome. Then
that weird upshift would smooth the ride out after I stop driving aggressively. Then as soon as I started driving aggressively it seemed like the transmission WOKE-Up and started the downshifting and held the downshift into the higher RPMs and held it there. I started driving more aggressively it would hold red line pause before shifting. Just an FYIā€¦ 2022 Supras torque range is at higher RPMs, and in the 2020 supra which torque kicks in at lower RPMs seems to spin the wheels.

Takeaway:

Seems that when I was exclusively in Sport+Plus Mode I finally figured out that I can use the gas pedal to actually control the car through the whole mappingā€¦ not just in normal or sport modeā€¦ it seems as ā€œSport+Plusā€ has all the modes built into it and you can use the gas pedal and youā€™re driving to follow through all your needs as neededā€¦ On Demand..
Hmm this makes sense because its a BMW feature to learn driving and pedal mapping IIRC. I feel like Sport+ is a leftover default tuning from BMW and Toyota are the ones who tuned Normal Mode and Sport Mode. OR truly Toyota coded it that way in a harder to access part of the car, in which case very interesting. I will try some driving around and see how it goes. This morning I literally was in sport plus and got the heavy throttle hesitation for the first ~40% of the pedal

Hywired

First Name
Vago
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium ā€œTurbulence Grayā€
Hmm this makes sense because its a BMW feature to learn driving and pedal mapping IIRC. I feel like Sport+ is a leftover default tuning from BMW and Toyota are the ones who tuned Normal Mode and Sport Mode. OR truly Toyota coded it that way in a harder to access part of the car, in which case very interesting. I will try some driving around and see how it goes. This morning I literally was in sport plus and got the heavy throttle hesitation for the first ~40% of the pedal
ā€œRace-Trackā€ Modeā€¦ā€¦ I Think šŸ¤”

Talking Point:
Instead of whining about Sport+Plus Modeā€¦. I Took Controlā€¦
I donā€™t have a technical answer for this but after noticing that when I put my Supra in to ā€œSport+Plus Mode and I started using the ā€œGas-Pedalā€ (aggressively) to control the inconsistencies of Redline Pauses, Hard Hitting Downshifting, Upshifting and Torque.

I added one more piece to the puzzle. I started using the ā€œPaddle Shiftersā€ to get around the high RPM Redline Pauseā€¦.
Everything I kind of hated about ā€œSport+Plusā€ mode I had to fix in little step-by-step sequences. Using the gas pedal ā€œaggressivelyā€ which meant driving on the edge. Now driving very fast I would get that hanging ā€œRedline-Pauseā€. Thats when I started using the ā€œPaddle Shiftersā€ aggressively. Then a NEW issue startedā€¦ My ā€œTraction Controlā€ seemed to be off, BUT-IT-WASNā€™T. I was able to slide the rear end out and break loose if I wanted to and sometimes it would do it on its own and then Iā€™d have to real it back in. The torque and the paddle shifters. Being that my Supra is a 2022 the torque is in the upper RPM register, and not wanting to let it shift automatically at redline because I was trying to avoid the Hanging-Pause at Redline I used the paddle shifters to switch gears around 5500 RPMs. Well that seemed to be Torque central and spinning my tires at 50 mph was so easy and a little ā€œCrazy-Scaryā€ at times. Which made me drive the car more aggressively to try to keep all this in balance: Gasā€¦ Breakingā€¦ Paddle Shiftingā€¦ Gasā€¦ Breakingā€¦ Paddle Shiftingā€¦

Talking Point:
Drive, Drive and Drive some more.

Setting my timer for 30 minutes, engaging ā€œSport+Plusā€ Mode and heading to my backroads for 30 minute of aggressive driving intervals of ā€œWash-Rinse-Repeatā€

Driving like this for well into the evening And starting to feel more confident out of the blue I started Laughingā€¦.then I yelled out ā€œHoly Shitā€ā€¦ ā€œIm not just driving the car around fastā€¦ Im RACINGā€ !!!!

Conclusion:
Sport+Plus Mode I think is actually ā€œRace-Trackā€ Mode

After Thought:

I could not duplicate this in OEM Sport mode. The electronics in the car seemed to be engaged a lot more and felt a little saferā€¦ā€¦. BUT in Sport+Plus Mode I actually felt it was ā€œMeā€ and the Supra against the Roadā€™s. I donā€™t know if this makes any sense but after that night I felt ā€œIn Control of being Out-of-Control.

Last edited:

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
ā€œRace-Trackā€ Modeā€¦ā€¦ I Think šŸ¤”

Talking Point:

Instead of whining about Sport+Plus Modeā€¦. I Took Controlā€¦

I donā€™t have a technical answer for this but after noticing that when I put my Supra in to ā€œSport+Plus Mode and I started using the ā€œGas-Pedalā€ (aggressively) to control the inconsistencies of Redline Pauses, Hard Hitting Downshifting, Upshifting and Torque.

I added one more piece of the puzzle which is using the ā€œPaddle Shiftersā€.

Everything I kind of hated about ā€œSport+Plusā€ mode I had to fix by using the gas pedal ā€œaggressivelyā€ which meant driving on the edge. Now driving very fast I would get that hang ā€œRedline-Pauseā€. Thats when I started using the ā€œPaddle Shiftersā€ aggressively. Then a NEW issue startedā€¦ My ā€œTraction Controlā€ seemed to be off, BUT-IT-WASNā€™T. I was sliding out the rear end and spinning my tires like crazy. Which made me drive the car more aggressively: Gasā€¦ Breakingā€¦ Paddle Shiftingā€¦ Gasā€¦ Breakingā€¦ Paddle Shiftingā€¦

20 minutes straight of driving like this I started Laughingā€¦. Holy shitā€¦ Im not just driving the car around fastā€¦ Im RACING !!!!

Conclusion:

Sport+Plus Mode is actually ā€œRace-Trackā€ Mode

After Though:

I could not duplicate this in OEM Sport mode. The electronics in the car seemed to be engaged a lot more and felt a little saferā€¦ā€¦. BUT in Sport+Plus Mode I actually felt it was ā€œMeā€ and the Supra against the Roadā€™s. I donā€™t know if this makes any sense but I felt in control of being out of control.
I thought Sport Plus was the equivalent to being in Sport Mode and having the Traction Control off (single press)?

-RJM

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
None of this is really how this works at all. The different modes are basically "tunes" or "maps." With a few other configuration options. There shouldn't be anything for the car to 'learn.' The transmission adaptations are unrelated. So is traction.

Sport+ Adjusts throttle pedal response and apparently fucks around with timing a little bit. Perhaps Vanos as well. There is nothing magic around these modes.

The only thing to note is that the car wasn't designed to be run like this, and you might get some glitchy behavior.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
You are not racing. Sports + may F with the shift points and hold higher revs, but there is a huge difference in hooning around- which the Supra is stupid Brillant at- and racing at a track.

Every kid I have met at the track that is a "street racer" or "rally king" can barely keep up with miatas at first. The ones that I have instructed and improve listen and learn when i tell them to forget how they think they know how to drive.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
None of this is really how this works at all. The different modes are basically "tunes" or "maps." With a few other configuration options. There shouldn't be anything for the car to 'learn.' The transmission adaptations are unrelated. So is traction.

Sport+ Adjusts throttle pedal response and apparently fucks around with timing a little bit. Perhaps Vanos as well. There is nothing magic around these modes.

The only thing to note is that the car wasn't designed to be run like this, and you might get some glitchy behavior.
Regardless if the car is meant to be run in these modes or not, the transmission setting does in fact make a positive difference for aggressive street and track work. It felt like a poor man's xHP. I really couldn't tell much, if anything, when switching on Sport+ for the engine. However, to highlight your point, after updating the car with xHP, while the car was set to Sport+ for the transmission, the shifts were abrupt and jerky. It felt like something was wrong... and it was! Setting the car back to Sport fixed this and xHP performed as intended. At the very least, it seems like tuners aren't taking these modes into consideration unless they explicitly stated such. This assumption is based on a sample size of one, so take it for what you will.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
At the very least, it seems like tuners aren't taking these modes into consideration unless they explicitly stated such.
You're correct, there is something to the shift points in Sport+.

They are not, and active advising against using it.

Xproplayer

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra White
You're correct, there is something to the shift points in Sport+.

They are not, and active advising against using it.
Tuners say NOT to use sport plus? just want to confirm

So we believe the sport plus is z4 coding and not by toyota?

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
You are not racing. Sports + may F with the shift points and hold higher revs, but there is a huge difference in hooning around- which the Supra is stupid Brillant at- and racing at a track.

Every kid I have met at the track that is a "street racer" or "rally king" can barely keep up with miatas at first. The ones that I have instructed and improve listen and learn when i tell them to forget how they think they know how to drive.
Why you gotta do the Miatas dirty like that?!

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Cuz them miatas can hug those corners like theyā€™re on rails! Anyone needs to learn momentum driving 1st and foremost. Otherwise a much lower weight & HP car will be on their arse in the twisties šŸ˜œ

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450

LOL

Miatas are great to learn on. Everyone should learn on a momentum car if serious about race craft. These days a better option (to me) are the twins FRS/86

Miatas are basically rolling traffic cones ;)

Can be frustrating when I do TT. I better put down my best time before lap 3 or 4 because then you start lapping them
Sponsored