• Total voters

MCSeverino

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited
LOL true...maybe our American forum members can enlighten us on this?
After the initial year or two, the majority of Vettes sold are base models with basic spec. They may not sell for $60k, but a lot will sell for less than $70k.

I cannot cite to specific numbers, but I've seen them over the years and they are available for someone who wants to do some googling. Vettes follow the same pattern with every new model. The first couple of years are sold out with highly spec'd cars ordered to the owner's delight. After that, they start piling up on dealership lots and the lower costs models are what gets sold in high numbers.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
Well, considering they're all hovering around $100K in the CPO/used market, those who purchased any of them new for under that should be very lucky.

Not that they're worth that, but it appears that the market has driven (pun intended) the prices up drastically from the "from under $60k" that Chevrolet initially advertised.

While the C8 is a huge leap and technological achievement by GM, I'd be swinging by the Porsche dealerships, not Chevy at that price point, regardless of its performance numbers.

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
You can be a fan of one car without bashing other cars. The world is not black and white.
I'm not bashing other cars I'm specifically bashing the C8. For specific reasons.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Well, considering they're all hovering around $100K in the CPO/used market, those who purchased any of them new for under that should be very lucky.

Not that they're worth that, but it appears that the market has driven (pun intended) the prices up drastically from the "from under $60k" that Chevrolet initially advertised.

While the C8 is a huge leap and technological achievement by GM, I'd be swinging by the Porsche dealerships, not Chevy at that price point, regardless of its performance numbers.
C8 prices are coming down.

I owned several P-Cars and Vettes. Still own a 911 4S. No doubt Porsche makes excellent driving cars. Arguably the best of the best if your willing to pay. The C8 makes it hard to justify a base 718 series. No way I would buy a like-priced msrp to msrp Porsche for what the C8 cost. Not unless you want the crest on the hood. The base C8 and base 718 cost about the same. Roughly $60K-$63K for both base cars. I would take the base C8 all day long. A 2LT C8 with Z51 and a few other performance oriented options puts you right around $70K-$75K for a coupe. That's about where a base 718 Boxster S starts before options. Porsche really nickle and dime you on options. Start adding any options and the price really goes up. Average options on a Porsche are about 20%-25%+ more.

It's nice to have choices.

What new car I would buy at each price point:
$50-$55K I would buy a Supra.
$70K-$75K C8 2LT w/ Z51
$100K-$110K Cayman GT4
$140K 911S

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
"It's nice to have choices."

Indeed.

Porsche is great. It's crazy that you can actually double the MSRP with the amount of packages and options they offer. You have to exercise a lot of restrain.

I was never a Corvette fan to begin with. However, I do think they're fantastic performance cars, especially for the money. It's like motorcycles - I really want to WANT to have one, but it's just not for me.

I do prefer the C7 to the C8. I know that's backwards thinking in terms of technology and performance, but I'm more partial to its GT-eske long nose/rear cab heritage looks. Especially when paired up with the 7-speed rev-matching manual.

We'll soon see more C8s than Supras on the road, if not already, and that makes the Supra a bit more special, to me at least.

I'll probably get chastised for this, but I'd take my $70-$75K to the Audi RS5 before a C8. :dunno:

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
"It's nice to have choices."

Indeed.

Porsche is great. It's crazy that you can actually double the MSRP with the amount of packages and options they offer. You have to exercise a lot of restrain.

I was never a Corvette fan to begin with. However, I do think they're fantastic performance cars, especially for the money. It's like motorcycles - I really want to WANT to have one, but it's just not for me.

I do prefer the C7 to the C8. I know that's backwards thinking in terms of technology and performance, but I'm more partial to its GT-eske long nose/rear cab heritage looks. Especially when paired up with the 7-speed rev-matching manual.

We'll soon see more C8s than Supras on the road, if not already, and that makes the Supra a bit more special, to me at least.

I'll probably get chastised for this, but I'd take my $70-$75K to the Audi RS5 before a C8. :dunno:
The seating position is a big deal between a mid or rear engine Porsche and a C5-C7 series Vette.

A few things about Porsche that makes them special to me. The seating position and view out of the driver seat. With a 911 or Cayman/Boxster you are seated much farther forward than say in a C7. I would estimate about 16"-20" farther forward. You are much closer to the front wheels and you see the fender humps. This seating position makes it a LOT easier to place the car. It also has a different rotation point for the driver. I MUCH prefer the forward seating position of a mid-engine or rear engine Porsche. Visibility is excellent. In the C5-C7 series Corvette the rearward seating position makes the car feel MUCH larger than it really is. Visibility was not as good as the Porsche. I was always creeping ahead at stoplights and intersections because of the long hood.

The C8 seats the driver further ahead like the 911, Cayman, Boxster. The C8 is much easier to place like the P-Cars. I have driven all of them and I feel the C8 is going to poach Porsche sales. It really is very good.

I love the C7 also. I was going to buy one while waiting for a C8. The C7 is actually the reason I ended up being interested in a Supra. I went to a dealer to test drive a C7 they had. Parked next to it was a Supra Launch Ed with 800 miles on it. The Supra was never even remotely on my radar prior to that test drive. I was absolutely smitten by the Supra after that initial test drive. I ended up taking a few more C7s and Supras on back to back test drives. At the end of the day as much as I liked the C7 GS, I liked the Supra even more. The Supra's ZF 8-speed is light years ahead of the C7's automatic transmission. I really love both the C7 and Supra but The only reason I would buy a C7 over the Supra is because it is available with a manual. You can't go wrong with either. Both are rare air, tremendous fun. Outstanding value.

The RS5 is kick ass too. I have owned S4s and I can definitely understand the appeal.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The C8 Corvette Was the Fastest-Selling Car in America in February

Get ready to see a whole lot more of them. Looks like the once subtle king of 2020's automotive world is going to be as commonplace as the Accord. Ok, maybe not that far. Lol.

"Average sale price was $86,581, nearly $1000 higher than January's average."

The average price is a good starting point for negotiations, I guess, but it doesn't specify trims or packages. Hopefully too many didn't have to fork over hefty markups.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a35900993/c8-corvette-fastest-selling-car-in-feb-21/

BoostedAP1

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S2000, Z3M Coupe, Z3 Coupe, Acura CLS, Zupr4
Hard decision, but Supra for now.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Supra

For me it comes down to two things.

1) I live in Colorado at ~5500 ft, NA cars lose about 20% of their power up here. FI cars still lose some, but significantly less. That means the 495 hp of the C8 is closer to 400 hp up here, while the Supra drops from maybe 430 (based on ~380whp dynos) to about the same 400, so the power difference is a wash.

2) You can't actually buy the C8 for $60k. Real world prices are closer to $100k from what I'm seeing. If the C8 was actually $60k it would be a closer race, but at $100k it's a no-brainer. Plus it's a Chevy, and I've never been impressed with the build quality of Chevys.

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
2) You can't actually buy the C8 for $60k. Real world prices are closer to $100k from what I'm seeing. If the C8 was actually $60k it would be a closer race, but at $100k it's a no-brainer. Plus it's a Chevy, and I've never been impressed with the build quality of Chevys.
Nailed it!
The Z06 might get me though, in a few years. Otherwise I think Supra is pretty unbeatable in value/fun per dollar, for a production car.
Sponsored