Banned
First Name
Lokki
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR Premium - 2018 Lexus LC500 Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Well, so much for those $59,000 price tags huh? Even those base model 2LT that were going for $69,000 for a few days are now over $80,000. We could argue and and say that the emergency health declaration is to blame but I feel this was inevitable anyway. I knew these C8's would go for over $100K once they were released. So many people at the car meets thought they were going to get these for so cheap LOL. Take a look at what a few of these 2LT and 3LT models are going for below. $127,000 for a used Z51 3LT with 900 miles on it.

What's more interesting is that I have found several dyno results of these C8 putting down over 550whp in 5th gear and over 450whp in 6th gear with torque numbers around 515-520 lb-ft at the wheels. This puts the C8 horsepower number closer to 600 at the crank. GM definitely underrated the new Vette for sure. Surprisingly, a tuned A90 stock turbo Supra on some E50 or even 100 octane can beat one of these C8's which is commendable. The C8 weighs 30 lbs. less than the A90 Supra, has a Tremec TR-9080 Dual Clutch Transmission that shifts in less than 100 milliseconds and has less parasitic drivetrain loss than the ZF 8HP found in the A90 Supra.

To think that when an A90 stock turbo Supra is on a bottle that it can run high 9's for still less than $65,000 it's a real easy choice on what car I would rather have for performance. The MKV Supra community hasn't even begun to crack the B58's potential, and I think we will see some 8 second MKVs and more common low 10 and high 9 second MKV Supras coming soon.

Lastly and more importantly. A have seen a few tuners who are determined to be the first to twin turbo the new C8. What I thought was odd was the fact that none of these companies took the time or even bothered researching the new integrated ECU for the C8 Corvette. It cannot be hacked or replaced by a stand-alone.

GM's new E99 ECU in the C8 Vettes involves multi-factor authentication involving dealer employees and credentials and a Diffie-Hellman 2048-bit key exchange using a SHA-256 hash digest that is unique for each VIN ECU and TCM. The Diffie-Hellman 2048/SHA-256 ECU/TCM is not a STATIC security implementation, it is currently un-crackable by even the best in the aftermarket tuning world.

Current estimates to crack Diffie-Hellman 1024 is 35,000,000 core years. It would take 35 million CPU cores 1 year to crack a single key exchange, and the key exchange is unique for each VIN. Diffie-Hellman 2048? Forget about it, not going to happen. Now then, a stand-alone aftermarket ECU that could partially by pass the rolling code encryptions momentarily will cut off factory instrument cluster, HVAC, audio, BCM, power windows and eventually will obtain authentication error which will alert On-Star Remote to shutdown the car. NONE of it will work because it has security dependencies on the factory ECU. Every module that communicates with the ECU/TCM uses 2048-bit Diffie-Hellman key exchange with a SHA-256.

Successfully flash-tuning, reprogramming and otherwise altering the engine control unit to increase power output on the 2020 C8 will be next to impossible. The anti-hacking encryption written into the electronic control module will block any attempt to "read, write, and/or replace the standard ECU of the C8. If the ECU detects such an effort, and that programming event fails, the Corvette C8 will enter a "recovery mode" that requires a reboot. The coupe can be reprogrammed, but only by an entity with the proper encryption keys - meaning a trip on a flatbed to the dealer and a sure fire way to completely void your entire warranty.

Screen-Shot-2020-04-13-at-8-48-17-AM.png
Sponsored

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Jesus, and people harped on the Supra for being expensive

larrymz3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Absolutely ridiculous. 130k? LOL. I only paid 20k more for my used Huracan and it's a true supercar. I would *NEVER* spend over 50k for an American car... Period.

YungMercureal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium Supra - Nitro Yellow
I'd say most of the people who are willing to buy a normal C8 just have money to burn and don't have to worry about losing money. No one who is sticking to a budget is going to be so impatient that they can't wait for prices to normalize, especially with a Z06 being inevitable. It will be a much better value in a couple years, plus there will be people selling their Stingrays for Z06s.

Dealers/scalpers are just looking to make a quick buck on the flip while they can.

tedan628

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Sti, 2005 Forester XT
yea c8 is faster and maybe has more appeal look to the mid engine enthusiast and believe me i actually was debating hard enough to get between the 2.

but it finally narrows down to reliability and price point for me.

1. Supra- cheaper and has the history of BMW engineering which has proven many times to be amazing on race track. very reliable for its class.

2. C8- new engine layout, new transmission and also can easily go up to 90 grand and more for the set up i want. Money aside, with new layout and trans and long hisotry with corvette, they are famous for transmission issue from generation to generation. If you guys dont believe, check out the c8 forums and you will see a section for c8 problems: dashboard stitching issue, rear view camera doesnt work, some parts had no clips or screws, cars wont change to reverse gear from park mode, gears skipping with odd gears only working, also the infamous broken axle on first drag strip wiht nitrous on .

And this is just the beggining of the issue with GM. if i want to spend a 100k car.i expect quality like ferrari or lambo or audi. Not like this.

thats why i choose Supra not for the better option but just to avoid those issues with GM.

Nick Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2016 Tacoma Limited, 1998 Hemi TJ by AEV
I'd say most of the people who are willing to buy a normal C8 just have money to burn and don't have to worry about losing money. No one who is sticking to a budget is going to be so impatient that they can't wait for prices to normalize, especially with a Z06 being inevitable. It will be a much better value in a couple years, plus there will be people selling their Stingrays for Z06s.

Dealers/scalpers are just looking to make a quick buck on the flip while they can.

Yep...people on this board are wailing because the MY21 Supra has 40 more HP than the MY20...the Z06 is going to be a high-revving 600 HP monster...while I agree folks will be turning their stingrays in for the Z06, based off the gouging I see for the stringray above, the Z06 will be waay out of most peoples range...

Z8AKU

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Lokki
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yep...people on this board are wailing because the MY21 Supra has 40 more HP than the MY20...the Z06 is going to be a high-revving 600 HP monster...while I agree folks will be turning their stingrays in for the Z06, based off the gouging I see for the stringray above, the Z06 will be waay out of most peoples range...
A91 doesn't have 40 more HP than the A90. It's the same 382hp that Toyota underquoted on the A90. That's why the A90's are putting down 340whp. If the A90 really only made 335hp at the crank then the whp would be around 285 whp.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
A91 doesn't have 40 more HP than the A90. It's the same 382hp that Toyota underquoted on the A90. That's why the A90's are putting down 340whp. If the A90 really only made 335hp at the crank then the whp would be around 285 whp.
It does have more power, it has the B58D instead of B58C.

Z8AKU

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Lokki
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase