Supra vs C8 Corvette

Which would you rather have

• Total voters

ET123

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
There is no debate about which platform is superior. Obviously the mid-engine layout and the 6.2l V8, puts the Corvette a step above the Supra which is a much more conventional sports car.

The main reasons to get the Supra over the C8, is the big price difference (Supra can be had for under the MSRP where the C8s are marked-up), and the reliability/quality (as cool as the Corvette is on the spec sheet, it is still a GM product).

Due to the limited availability and the mark-ups, we don't really need to concern ourselves with this comparison. A couple years from now once the hype dies down and the C8 can be easily had for the msrp, that is when we can start comparing.
Sponsored

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
How does the 2020 Toyota GR Supra stack up to a Corvette?
Published: Aug. 19, 2020 at 5:03 a.m. ET
By
Michael Harley

Two-seater sports cars: Which is better?
Referenced Symbols
The 2020 Toyota GR Supra and 2020 Chevrolet Corvette are two-seat sports cars engineered for driving enthusiasts. Letā€™s see how these two rivals compare to each other.

Quick facts
  • The Supra is all-new for 2020. The coupe shares platforms with the 2020 BMW Z4.
  • The Corvette is all-new for 2020. The sports car breaks new ground as the first mid-engine model in its history.
2020 Toyota Supra
Base Price: $49,990

What we like: Powerful engine, stiff chassis, comfortable seats, comprehensive standard equipment, excellent handling, fun-to-drive

What we would change: No manual transmission, lacks Toyota

Overview: After a 20-plus year absence, the Toyota Supra returned in 2019. Based heavily on the underpinnings of the BMW Z4, the front-engine sports coupe boasts tight suspension, strong brakes, and great handling. It is immensely fun to drive on the street and very capable on the racetrack.

Whatā€™s new for 2020: The GR Supra was all-new for 2020. It arrives with a turbocharged 3.0-liter six-cylinder engine, which is sourced from BMW, mated to a standard 8-speed automatic transmission.

Features: The Supra cabin boasts 14-way power-adjustable sport seats trimmed in Alcantara and leather. Premium trims feature all leather seating surfaces. A smart key, dual-zone climate control, and automatic wipers are among the standard features.

Technology: Stanard equipment on the Supra includes a 10-speaker (205W) audio system. A 12-speaker (500W) system, by JBL, is optional on the base trim but standard on the premium trims. Wireless Apple CarPlay is also standard for a four-year trial period (it is unknown if Toyota will offer a subscription, or make it free when that term ends). Android Auto is not available on the Supra.

In terms of connectivity services, Toyota Supra Connect is an optional iOS-based system that includes emergency calling, battery guard, remote-control lock/ventilation, real-time traffic information, map updates, and concierge services via a smartphone app.

What does the future hold: Toyota will introduce a new 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine (sourced from BMW) in an entry-level model with less sophisticated brakes, suspension, and driveline ā€“ it is expected to significantly lower the cost of entry. In addition, the 3.0-liter turbocharged six-cylinder will be upgraded for more power and the options list will be tweaked. The company will also introduce a limited-edition model called the A91.

2020 Chevrolet Corvette
Base Price: $58,900
What we like: Strong traditional V-8 engine, incredible exhaust note, world-class handling, and driving dynamics. Exceptional value in terms of performance for the price.

What we would change: The vehicle is heavy for a sports car. Ingress/egress is challenging and the cabin is tight.

Overview: Chevrolet hit the ball out of the park with the new mid-engine Corvette. It is the most innovative and advanced sports car ever engineered by the domestic auto maker, easily capable of running against the best from Porsche, Lamborghini, and Ferrari.

Whatā€™s new for 2020: After many decades of producing a traditional front-engine, rear-wheel-drive sports car, Chevrolet completely re-engineered the Corvette to a mid-engine, rear-wheel-drive platform. The changes improve overall balance, yet the traditional 6.2-liter V-8 engine still fits ā€” keeping brand loyalists pleased.

Features: The 2020 Chevrolet Corvette is fitted with a pair of 8-way, power-adjustable, GT1 Competition seats upholstered in leather. Optional seats include GT2 and Competition seats, which are also 8-way adjustable. Dual-zone climate control is standard, as is remote starting and Keyless Open and Start.

Technology: Standard equipment on the Corvette is a Bose 10-speaker audio package. The optional Bose Performance Series is an upgrade to a 14-speaker system. Both systems are Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatible without a subscription. SiriusXM radio is also fitted, which requires a subscription after the trial period expires.

The Corvette utilizes GMā€™s OnStar suite of vehicle connectivity that includes 4G LTE Wi-Fi hot spot compatibility, Chevrolet Connected Access, and a Teen Driver Mode (TDM).

What does the future hold: This is just the tip of the iceberg for the Chevrolet Corvette. Expect several new variants over the next few years, which will include a high-output Z06 model with a 32-valve V8, a track-ready Grand Sport model, and a range-topping ZR1 model with a turbocharged engine.

Supra vs. Corvette: Strengths comparison
Toyota GR Supra Benefits: Lower base price, smaller and lighter packaging

Chevrolet Corvette Benefits: Traditional V-8 power, higher overall performance, convertible offering

Supra vs. Corvette: Which is better?
Chevrolet took out a clean sheet of paper when engineering the new Corvette. Toyota made a call to BMW. The results couldnā€™t be more divergent. The all-new 2020 Corvette is a world-class sports car. It offers a robust mid-engine chassis, powerful V-8 engine, and handling that leaves nearly all others in its dust. The all-new 2020 Supra behaves like a BMW in a Toyota disguise. Thatā€™s not necessarily a bad thing, as its handling is impressive, but there is very little Toyota DNA in the final product (which leaves many of the brandā€™s loyalists scratching their heads). The 2020 Chevrolet Corvette, which stays true to its American sports car roots, takes top honors in this comparison

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
I think it's pretty sad when almost 1/3 of the people a Supra forum picks the C8. If the same question was asked on the Vette forum I doubt the Supra would get more then 1% to 5% of the overall votes. :p

RWhiz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche 911 964, Tacoma, 2021 Absolute Zero Premium
Both are great cars, my biggest reason for going with the Supra is the HP and performance. I'm coming off a 30 year old Porsche 911 which prior to it's price escalation I was able to track and actually push the car which was super fun. I think I can push the Supra in the same manner once I get some time behind the wheel. I don't think I would be able to push a 465 HP C8 the same way.

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 2015 BMW 435xi
I think it's pretty sad when almost 1/3 of the people a Supra forum picks the C8. If the same question was asked on the Vette forum I doubt the Supra would get more then 1% to 5% of the overall votes. :p
I think if the corvette was more expensive you would see more people in favor of the Supra. What other mid engine car can you get for that price with all that horse power. Of I wouldn't want the first year except as a collectors car. I would want till it's third year to give GM sometime to gets the bugs out of the car. I'm glad I bought the Supra last October.

Raehan

First Name
Rae
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 jeep grand cherokee diesel, 2020 supra gr, 2013 Cmax
Corvette is closer to 80K when similarly equipped to Supra with exception of 150hp. With JB4 tuner and E85 adapter I believe you can get very close to that. For a few thousand more you can get close to the supercharged version when it comes out. Friend who drove both felt Supra was as well planted and handled as well. I think with tuning, some body mods, wider tires and some mods to the engine, exhaust and intercooler, you can get very close to the Z06 version when it comes out for way less and blow away the grand sport for a LOT less money.
That said: if I had the money and my wife wouldnā€™t kill me before I died in a fiery crash, I would get the all in version (100k +) when itā€™s available.

Raehan

First Name
Rae
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 jeep grand cherokee diesel, 2020 supra gr, 2013 Cmax
As regards current vette vs Supra, no doubt Iā€™d buy the Supra again. 54K for GR vs 60K for vette, 80k honestly after specing up to Supra. I will do the tuner, E85, and body mods for rear diffusers, front splitter, have an awesome car for way less and still be able to die in a fiery crash!

Midlifecrisis

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium - White
I have serious concerns about the quality control on the new Vette. Saw one last weekend and it looked amazing and the specs are great. But this is a major redesign and Iā€™d bet it takes a couple years for them to get the worst of the bugs worked out.

One thing I really like about the Supra is that BMW has been perfecting most of this platform for awhile now and the major flaws have already been addressed. This is why it makes so much sense from a tuning standpoint as well IMO.

joshthorsc

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2021 GR Supra
I voted for the C8 but ended up buying a 2021 Supra due to the price differences. I got a decent deal and saved close to $10k by not buying the C8. Had the dealership stuck with their $58k msrp on the Supra, I'd of jump on a C8 instead.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
I'm curious. Has anyone lurked in the C8 forums to find out what the OTD prices really are? Or bought, tried to buy one for the "under $60k" base price?

I got my 2020 Supra Premium with DAP for well under MSRP this past summer. I seriously doubt anyone bought a C8 for under $70k - if they were even that lucky.

While the C8 is a serious achievement by GM, I still think the Supra vs C8 is an apples to oranges comparison, especially when it comes to current availability (past and current production halts) and pricing.

Supbrah

First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Downshift Blue Supra
I'm curious. Has anyone lurked in the C8 forums to find out what the OTD prices really are? Or bought, tried to buy one for the "under $60k" base price?

I got my 2020 Supra Premium with DAP for well under MSRP this past summer. I seriously doubt anyone bought a C8 for under $70k - if they were even that lucky.

While the C8 is a serious achievement by GM, I still think the Supra vs C8 is an apples to oranges comparison, especially when it comes to current availability (past and current production halts) and pricing.
Iā€™ve been lurking on one of the Corvette forums and that place is a dumpster fire. To answer your question very few folks are even spec-ing base cars. Many have ordered them and are way over 60K. Most have paid some sort of premium to be ā€™first in lineā€™ as well. Some folks have even taken delivery of their cars, sold them at a premium and then got back in line for another one.

I wonā€™t buy another car without test driving it first. Did that once and regretted it big time.

Thatā€™s one of a few reasons I passed up the Vette and went for the Supra. I donā€™t think those cars will be in any sort of real supply for another year or so.

MCSeverino

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited

I was very interested in buying a C8, but I did not preorder and didn't want to wait another two years for a car at MSRP, so I bought a Supra. There have been a few C8s sold at $60k, but the average selling price is significantly higher. The vast majority of early adopters bought 2LTs or 3LTs which start at a little over $67k and $71k respectively. Plus, a very strong majority opted for the $5k Z51 package and mag ride (about $2k).

sledguy

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (#1451), 2020 Rav4, 2021 BMW X3M
Doesn't matter how fast it is or how cool it looks. you will still have the stigma of being a vette owner.
Sponsored

Last edited: