Featured The Development Story of the MKV Supra

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by Guff, Jan 30, 2019.

1. chnco

chnco Member

First Name:
    Allen
    Car(s):
    MKIV Toyota Supra, FC RX7, 360 Modena
    Liked:
    Most MKIV owners don’t disconnect the odometer, including myself. That’s a pretty asinine statement

jm6k, Therealist and DesmoSD like this.
  2. PerformanceSound

PerformanceSound Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Subaru STI
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    To say most MKIV’s haven’t had this done is even more asinine. After the F&F, many MKIV owners (especially the 6spd TT cars) had this done to retain value when reselling. You were probably too young to even know this. Because the ecu doesn’t record the miles like on newer cars, all they did was disconnect the odo and drive it until resale time.

One of the signs back in the day on MKIV’s was the warped top of the dash....this only happened when people would pry on the upper cluster to remove it. I’m talking before people were swapping clusters (Auto to 6spd), etc... when there was NO NEED to get behind the cluster. Supra’s werent known for many cluster failures. Many many MKIV owners have swapped their dashboards because of this.

AF26-E7-C6-775-C-4-C2-F-AEAA-023-A97-A4-FF76.jpg

Go into your garage and take a pic of your upper dash by the cluster....curious to see if you have had any “work done” on your gauge cluster. I have several friends who own MKIV’s, all of which currently have their odo’s disconnected....and i will NEVER mention their names :D.

3. DesmoSD

DesmoSD Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
    Liked:
    Your friends are dicks! :D

Speaking of which, I had to pull my dash apart to replace the CEL module since mine stopped working (very common and had a broken solder joint). If I remember correctly, if you bought a new odometer module from Toyota, they had to input the milage. So if that person cheated, it would probably show up on the carfax report.

s-l300.jpg

Therealist likes this.
  4. PerformanceSound

PerformanceSound Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Subaru STI
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    My friends are dicks I will agree with you on that...hehe.

Replacing the odo to a new one would not fall in this category, it’s the odometers that were/are healthy....which many many are. Those won’t show up in the CarFax.

5. Kaahari

Kaahari Member

Car(s):
    Supra mkiv -93
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    #80 Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    That`s BS. Upper trim piece is mounted with screws to dashboard from below and there is two fasteners on side of this trim piece and odo mount. Basicly, the part falls a bit when screws are removed and you need just pull this part backward to remove it, not pry. Atleast not from that area. If you have to pry it somewhere on removal, location is from sides. Dashboard "skeleton" is actually very hard plastic type material, it wont warp, it cracks.

So, "warping" of dash upper part... actually, it wont warp: cover/top material gets loose from dash skeleton due heat and because part is just getting old. Surfaces are too narrow between dash cover material and dash skeleton on edge, glue gets old etc, worst (=thinnest) place is above odo. Seen in many j-spec and us spec cars.

6. chnco

chnco Member

First Name:
    Allen
    Car(s):
    MKIV Toyota Supra, FC RX7, 360 Modena
    Liked:
    The amount of incorrect information in your post validated my point.

• To Kaahari’s point, it’s several screws that mount this piece and doesn’t even require “prying” to take off. In order to have this warping, you’d intentionally have to pry/push in that area
    • Even if this was the case, this piece is taken off for a variety of reasons and mods: LED backlighting of gauges, white face gauges, TRD odometer, JDM cluster faces, Motec Racepak, etc, etc
    • You’re saying every single person that has performed these mods have altered their odometer? Give me a break
    • I’m happy to take a picture of my dash when I get home from business Monday
    • Take a picture of your MKIV dash
    • Name your friends so that we ensure we don’t have fraudulent sales out there, it would be a benefit to the community

FYI: I’ve had my Supra since 1999 and I’m a moderator on SupraForums. I’m sure you can figure out the correlation between the dates and movie

7. Therealist

Therealist Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    1996 Toyota Supra
    Liked:
    I didn’t think anyone could be as inconsistent or incorrect as this but performancesound proved me wrong.

8. Turbro

Turbro Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    94 Supra TT 6 Speed, 91 180sx 5 Speed, 15 FoST, 13 FoST
    Liked:
    This is is absolutely accurate. I’ve also been in the Supra world for 15 years and admin multiple forums before.

People sayings “majority” of owners disconnect the odo on purpose is asinine. Yes some sleazy assholes probably did, like .1% of owners, but no one really does this. And no one fucking pulls up on the dash board right there for that when it’s super easy to remove the screws.

They are known to have bad solder joints for sure, mine did and I fixed it when I noticed it didn’t count for a few miles. And maybe some people don’t fix it because they are lazy but to assume everyone does it is obsurd

jm6k, Therealist and DesmoSD like this.
  9. shrapnel

shrapnel New Member

First Name:
    Tom
    Car(s):
    VW Golf 7
    Liked:
    So even Toyota Germany is promoting your Video

23E686E2-1398-4152-AA54-BF5021982D08.png

10. Australian of The North

Australian of The North Well-Known Member

First Name:
    ██████[Removed]
    Car(s):
    [Content Restricted],█████,|[Content Restricted]█████
    Liked:
    ██████[Content Restricted]
    #85 Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    [content removed]

Therealist likes this.
  11. RyanGT3RS

RyanGT3RS Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Red 991.2 GT3RS, M and AMG,s
    Liked:

As opposed to all your previous posts, you type paragraphs after paragraphs of your “hate” towards the new mk5, a car, that’s not even out yet, but you seem to know how it drives and what a failure of a car it’s going to be.

Oh, the irony. Contradicting yourself here. Lol

12. Therealist

Car(s):
    1996 Toyota Supra
    Liked:
    I find it interesting how a lot of this behaviour is perpetrated by moderators. I mean it’s not surprising but interesting how there’s no smoke without fire

13. jm6k

jm6k Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    4C
    Liked:
    Nah man, you're just too young to know what he's talking about.

14. Therealist

Car(s):
    1996 Toyota Supra
    Liked:
    More likely that he’s not “too young” and performancesound doesn’t know what he’s talking about

15. A70TTR

A70TTR Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Tundra TRD Pro, ST205 GT4, JZA70 TT-R, Q50-RS
    Liked:
    I've known several A80 owners that disconnected the speedo/odo on their cars (this was in a large city with a decent sized Supra population, and it has been a decade since I lived there)...

That said, I would never say most, but I wouldn't say it was super rare either lol.

DesmoSD likes this.