• Other: Please state in thread

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
7500+ RPM would be amazing. The 2JZ Supra was only 6800 redline with the limiter at 7200 RPM.
2JZ didn't need to be revved up higher than that since its peak was at 6000 RPM. Upgraded springs and retainers could take it up to 8500 RPM though.

But I agree, if the MKV Supra engine is turbo'd, anything 7500 or higher would be great.
Sponsored

EMTer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW E36
Not gonna happen. NA is a dying breed. Though they'd score major points with enthusiasts by not only making it a V8 but also naturally aspirated. :headbang:

Scino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 WRX Limited, 2015 GLA250 AMG Sport
When Porsche starts racing their turbos, I'll start taking turbo's seriously. GT3 is putting out almost 500Hp on six cylinders. And they are NA.

I've seen nothing but problems with turbo'd cars. Never even seen a TV challenge that the turbo didn't overheat, blow something or something.

There's a good reason why Corvettes and GT3's (excluding the 2014 models) have been reliable and bullet proof on the tracks or races.
Toyota made turbo, and they were the best in business. I imagine Honda Turbo engine in NSX is going to be rock solid as well.

Scino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 WRX Limited, 2015 GLA250 AMG Sport
Not gonna happen. NA is a dying breed. Though they'd score major points with enthusiasts by not only making it a V8 but also naturally aspirated. :headbang:
NA V8 is still alive and well in American Muscle. Blame EPA for mass adoption of turbo engine.

fox body

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Pogo Stick
NA V8 is still alive and well in American Muscle. Blame EPA for mass adoption of turbo engine.
It is for now. I predict in 10 years the NA V8 will be reserved only for the high performance Mustangs. There is already a lot of adoption in their trucks of the TT 3.5L V6 which could eventually find its way to the sports car. Although GM seems to have no intentions of moving off of it.

The Supra won't be out for another few years and it has to look to the future. I just don't see an NA V8 being very forward looking at this point. The fact that it is a niche car though... who knows. :dunno:

EMTer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW E36
It is for now. I predict in 10 years the NA V8 will be reserved only for the high performance Mustangs. There is already a lot of adoption in their trucks of the TT 3.5L V6 which could eventually find its way to the sports car. Although GM seems to have no intentions of moving off of it.

The Supra won't be out for another few years and it has to look to the future. I just don't see an NA V8 being very forward looking at this point. The fact that it is a niche car though... who knows. :dunno:
OK I should have said NA is a dying breed for non-American cars. Lots of muscle car, pony car and truck guys in the US love their NA V8's so American companies are still afraid of getting rid of them. European and Japanese companies seem to care less and just cramming small displacement turbo engines down everyone's throat. Small FI engines are better than ever yea but the experience of driving one is still nowhere as much fun as a strong and fast revving NA engine.

500strong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mustang
OK I should have said NA is a dying breed for non-American cars. Lots of muscle car, pony car and truck guys in the US love their NA V8's so American companies are still afraid of getting rid of them. European and Japanese companies seem to care less and just cramming small displacement turbo engines down everyone's throat. Small FI engines are better than ever yea but the experience of driving one is still nowhere as much fun as a strong and fast revving NA engine.
We sure do love our big engines! Makes sense we get to keep our big engines too since gas prices are so much cheaper in US compared to Europe and Asia. :headbang:

JJR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CT200
We sure do love our big engines! Makes sense we get to keep our big engines too since gas prices are so much cheaper in US compared to Europe and Asia. :headbang:
But Supra will be a global car so Toyota will have to engineer to cater to all markets, including ones where gas prices are high.

Wally World

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
--
The majority of cars these days have a turbo engine option. It's not even correct anymore to say it is just catering to the global market, the American market has been going that way for years. Anyway a turbo 6 has been the hallmark of the Supra so just give us that and no one will complain.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
I wouldn't mind if they dropped in a 2UR-GSE. I love the feel of the V8 :D

910ps

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
I see no reason they would choose now to drop a V8 into the Supra. Look at its partner in this project and the M3 actually had a V8 in its past.

JohnnyTX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Celica GTS (05)
I wouldn't mind if they dropped in a 2UR-GSE. I love the feel of the V8 :D
Correct me if I'm misremembering but wasn't there confirmation of some kind already that the car will get a BMW engine?

And I voted NO in poll, but not because of CAFE but because we know (I think) this car will get a BMW engine and the only V8 engine in BMW's lineup now which might be possible for the Supra is the M5/M6 one. But I doubt they pick such a big and expensive engine for the new Supra.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Correct me if I'm misremembering but wasn't there confirmation of some kind already that the car will get a BMW engine?

And I voted NO in poll, but not because of CAFE but because we know (I think) this car will get a BMW engine and the only V8 engine in BMW's lineup now which might be possible for the Supra is the M5/M6 one. But I doubt they pick such a big and expensive engine for the new Supra.
Technically there hasn't been any official news regarding drive train, just rumors and "leaks".

Yes, most likely getting BMW's I6; I was only day dreaming for a minute :p

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Which engine would you like to see in the Toyota's version. I believe I put together a possible list based on current drive-trains from both automakers, and not make believe rumors. So which one would you pick or will be most interested in?