The MKIV vs MKV Thread

For those with mkiv's, will you be selling yours to get a mkv?

• Total voters

Jabba

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Hyundai Veloster N
Dount Media drops some love for the 2JZ-GTE. Ain't going to lie, that GR tuned B58 got some pretty big shoes to fill...

Sponsored

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
Dount Media drops some love for the 2JZ-GTE. Ain't going to lie, that GR tuned B58 got some pretty big shoes to fill...

I will say this... I am happy that people are releasing info on the Supras and motors because of the new Supra. I think everyone knows, regardless if they have owned a Supra in the past, that this new car has some big shoes to fill

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/16/2019-toyota-supra-vs-1993-toyota-supra-comparison/

2019 Toyota Supra vs 1993 Toyota Supra: How they compare on paper

We've been spending quite a bit of time comparing the 2019 Toyota Supra with various other sporty machinery, but perhaps the most important car to weigh it against is its direct ancestor, the 1993 Toyota Supra Turbo. Some of our editors have already weighed in on this topic, but we also wanted to look at just the raw numbers between the two, and they reveal some interesting facts.

First off, while the new Supra is more powerful, it's not ahead by much, with just 15 more ponies. But the extra 50 pound-feet of torque are probably noticeable on the butt dyno. The extra shove and twist, coupled with a quick-shifting eight-speed automatic and 18 fewer pounds of heft pay dividends in acceleration, as the new model hits 60 mph a half second quicker than the old model. Keep your foot in it and the old model will hit a higher top speed, but that's just because the new one's speed limiter is set lower.

dims?resize=2000%2C2000%2Cshrink&image_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fs.yimg.jpg

On a twisty track, the new Supra appears to have advantages, such as its lighter body with a perfectly split weight distribution. The old one is a tad nose heavy in comparison. The new one is also about 5 inches shorter overall with a roughly 3-inch shorter wheelbase, while also being slightly wider. This should make it pretty nimble when corners get tight. The new Supra has more tire to work with, too.

Perhaps the biggest surprise is that, taking into account inflation, the new Supra is about $20,000 cheaper than the fourth-generation car. That's just in comparison to a 1993 Supra, too, as they would get considerably more expensive in the following years. And considering the prices the old ones are commanding, the fifth-generation Supra is still the cheaper car.

There are certainly arguments that the 2020 Toyota Supra still isn't a proper successor, but that's for another time. This time, we're just looking at the numbers.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah stock MKIVs are an absolute mess to launch, the squat is hilarious on stock suspension. I never managed to get anything like 4.6 (just using phone gps based tracking) but 5.0s are repeatable. I'm not a racing driver of course, but despite that the MKV should be easier to be consistent with considering it's auto and has launch control.

I have access to a mostly stock MKIV, but it's got a downpipe and exhaust, so I think I'll return it to stock and then do some filming/testing with it prior to driving the MKV. Even just a downpipe gives a decent bump with the MKIV, so I don't remember what a fully stock one pulls like lol.

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
I wish there were some laptimes comparisons, chassis dynamics and rigidty are light years ahead in the A90 but there is no "dyno" for that thats also something a 1000whp 2jz cant fix.

Yeah stock MKIVs are an absolute mess to launch, the squat is hilarious on stock suspension. I never managed to get anything like 4.6 (just using phone gps based tracking) but 5.0s are repeatable. I'm not a racing driver of course, but despite that the MKV should be easier to be consistent with considering it's auto and has launch control.

I have access to a mostly stock MKIV, but it's got a downpipe and exhaust, so I think I'll return it to stock and then do some filming/testing with it prior to driving the MKV. Even just a downpipe gives a decent bump with the MKIV, so I don't remember what a fully stock one pulls like lol.
So looking forward to this video!

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Car and Driver spent a few days trying to get that time from what I remember and finally did it.. As far as repeatable time like others have said, I'd say 5.0 is about right.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots

they pull like a tired donkey tbh :p

FMIC and full exhaust gives you that nice boost creep to about 15psi? I drove mein like that for many years, was fun, not a rocket though