Throttle hesitation

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
When does this hesitation starts happening? Specific mileage, weather conditions, etc.?
It seems to happen to most people with atleast a fair amount of miles driven.

In my case it happened about 7-8000km after first receiving the car.

I notice it happening in any weather condition but clear weather just makes it the most noticeable probably.
Sponsored

Cosmok

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21ā€™ Supra
For me it always seems to happen in the first few minutes of driving the car And has happened in many different weather scenarios.

DesertSupra2.0

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 2.0 21 Camry TRD 18 RX350 19 Outback
Mine happened yesterday morning for first time. Just started it up and would barely go over 2,000RPM while floored in Neutral. I noticed the car was a tad ā€œshakierā€ than normal when started. I restarted the car and it has not come back. Car has 10,600 miles.

Do we know what the cause and/or fix is?

Thanks!

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
Mine happened yesterday morning for first time. Just started it up and would barely go over 2,000RPM while floored in Neutral. I noticed the car was a tad ā€œshakierā€ than normal when started. I restarted the car and it has not come back. Car has 10,600 miles.

Do we know what the cause and/or fix is?

Thanks!
We mostly discuss here about throttle hesitation in drive (from standstill). While your rpm limiter in neutral could be related to the same issue, it could also be totally different.

For now, it seems that a newer ECU update seems to fix it.

See: https://www.supramkv.com/threads/throttle-hesitation.8938/post-217212

Last edited:

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I've had it since the beginning... but since it was always sporadic, I didn't bother because I knew it would never do it on a dealership test drive. Good to know there's an update... guess I'll get the recall and that done in one go and hope they don't blow up my ECU.

In reality, I just figured that was a Toyota add-in... since all the recent ones I've owned had a similar lag built in it seemed (IS350, 2 RX350's, RC-F and now MKV). I've gotten used to it driving my wife's 2020 RX350 - but it scares the crap out of her when I do. She's just adapted to never being able to go for at least a second after accel. input and being scared to cut it too close. I just predict when I would want to go... and then slam the pedal all the way down 1-2 seconds before that... works perfectly. :rolleyes:

And before you ask... yes, been to the dealership repeatedly on all of them... "works as expected". Needless to say we're on the hunt for a Macan S for her now.

Silleck

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium
Started the car up this morning and waited for the rpmā€™s to drop before pulling out. As soon as I was pulling out the car started shaking and stalled and went into neutral. Started the car up again and tried again to pull and the car was about to stall again until I gave it gas. As soon as I was about to pull into traffic the car didnā€™t wanna go until I kept giving it gas, after that it worked fine.

E9E506E0-2F85-4E2D-8D33-5F269036CA48.jpeg

078F5597-243A-4468-A2C1-F4625EC97228.jpeg

Davedaveee

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra GR Premium 3.0
Started the car up this morning and waited for the rpmā€™s to drop before pulling out. As soon as I was pulling out the car started shaking and stalled and went into neutral. Started the car up again and tried again to pull and the car was about to stall again until I gave it gas. As soon as I was about to pull into traffic the car didnā€™t wanna go until I kept giving it gas, after that it worked fine.

E9E506E0-2F85-4E2D-8D33-5F269036CA48.jpeg

078F5597-243A-4468-A2C1-F4625EC97228.jpeg
Do an italian tune up on your car... lol. but yeah that doesn't sound fun. sorry to hear. keep us posted!

Fuji808

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Nocturnal Supra Premium

Was TC on or off?

Fuji808

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Nocturnal Supra Premium
Turn TC off at startup. Donā€™t forget to turn it on later. Let us know how it goes.

jeffmcfarlin

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 GR Premium
Hi all. My first post. '21 3.0 GR here and I had the S18T-22-03-535 firmware applied to the car yesterday in Leesburg, VA. I've had the hesitation since the first time I noticed it around mile 300 on the car. Same as everyone else - absolutely no pattern to it. Doesn't matter outside temp, engine temp, Sport or Normal, TC or not, nothing. It just ambushes you. I'll let everyone know if I see it again. I've been testing things by coming to a complete stop at all my stops (a rarity) and letting the RPM's drop to idle for a few seconds and then giving it a fair amount of gas for every start. Nothing yet.

Jeff

Supercompact

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
Same thing happened to me yesterday. I had no issues, stopped to get gas, beat on it a little bit on a straight stretch of road, then at the next stop sign, it lagged after hitting the throttle. Scared me for a second. It did the same thing at the next stop. This morning it was back to normal. This was also in Sport mode.
1 year and 4 months later and it finally happened again yesterday. This is quite dangerous when you pull out into traffic and expect to accelerate. I have had the brake recall done about a year ago and thought it was fixed. Iā€™m at around 9000 miles now for reference.

jeffmcfarlin

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 GR Premium
So hasn't happened since Wednesday on the new firmware. I've done at least 150-200 full stops since then in all sorts of conditions, trying to change things up. I realize I need more data, but I'm optimistic!

I'll post again in a couple weeks.

Jeff