Throttle hesitation

jeffmcfarlin

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 GR Premium
Just can't help myself, I know I said a couple weeks. Still hasn't done it. And I live in suburbia and it's constant stop/starts. I drive the car totally different now. Before it was always - dammit, I hope it doesn't bog down, now it's alright, do I want to spin the tires and if so how much. LOL. Fun.

Hope y'all can get this update at your dealership's (I dunno if one can do it oneself). My local didn't charge me for time, and had me out in under 2 hrs.

Jeff
Sponsored

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
Just can't help myself, I know I said a couple weeks. Still hasn't done it. And I live in suburbia and it's constant stop/starts. I drive the car totally different now. Before it was always - dammit, I hope it doesn't bog down, now it's alright, do I want to spin the tires and if so how much. LOL. Fun.

Hope y'all can get this update at your dealership's (I dunno if one can do it oneself). My local didn't charge me for time, and had me out in under 2 hrs.

Jeff
My local dealership advised they expect the update to be available this month, after Toyota is able to run all the tests to ensure compliance with emissions standards here. Fingers crossed, cos the hesitation is still happening for me and still scary as sh*t when you’re merging into traffic.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Finally convinced my wife to drive the Supra. Home from the grocery store. Pulling out of the parking lot, guess the first thing she experiences…

D K

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 TG
My local dealership advised they expect the update to be available this month, after Toyota is able to run all the tests to ensure compliance with emissions standards here. Fingers crossed, cos the hesitation is still happening for me and still scary as sh*t when you’re merging into traffic.
Great! My wife likes to drive the Supra and she tries to explain the issue to me and I'm never able to replicate it. This will give us some piece of mind knowing that we won't get T-boned when banging a left on Boston streets.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Finally convinced my wife to drive the Supra. Home from the grocery store. Pulling out of the parking lot, guess the first thing she experiences…
This is why my wife isn’t allowed to drive my Supra. The car has anti-wife failsafes. 😂

-RJM

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Well found this thread after this started happening to me in my 22’ 3.0. Just 2x so far at about 2k miles. 10min into drive, 95F, car very warmed up. No incline, no water.

First time I thought maybe I spun tires and didn’t even notice it? I jolted a little bit after the long pause.

Second time I saw the low RPMs during a typical acceleration from a stop light and realized something was up. I depressed the pedal more and more (as one would when not moving) and suddenly the power kicked on and I found myself moving way faster than desired.

I’m glad this thread exists and that it occurred without a crash. My last instance was on a super busy 3 lane 35MPH road with many cars running right turn reds. I hope the aforementioned update 1. Will exist and 2. Will solve a potentially Deadly problem.

A90.Trooper

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Hasn't happened since August 31st for me (day the dealer upgraded me), so I'm considering this issue 100% resolved with the firmware update. Now I feel like I might start modifying the car, it's sort of inspired me.

Jeff
Not sure if I missed it earlier in the thread, but what did you bring up to the dealer to have them perform the update?

I’m currently tuned on Ecutek but the issue has surfaced again, both times almost ending in being T-boned so something has to get done.

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
Hi all. My first post. '21 3.0 GR here and I had the S18T-22-03-535 firmware applied to the car yesterday in Leesburg, VA. I've had the hesitation since the first time I noticed it around mile 300 on the car. Same as everyone else - absolutely no pattern to it. Doesn't matter outside temp, engine temp, Sport or Normal, TC or not, nothing. It just ambushes you. I'll let everyone know if I see it again. I've been testing things by coming to a complete stop at all my stops (a rarity) and letting the RPM's drop to idle for a few seconds and then giving it a fair amount of gas for every start. Nothing yet.

Jeff
Was the update offered to you without request? Or did you already have the issue filed with the dealer?

Im curious if this update will be rolled out to all cars or only those with registered issues.

jeffmcfarlin

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 GR Premium
A90/Motorknut, so I walked in and nicely asked to see/meet the Supra certified guy. He was an old school mechanic. I explained my issue and he said he hadn't heard of it. I said - doesn't mean there's not an issue - can you hook the car up and check my firmware and update to the one I wanted if I'm out of date (I knew I was)? I handed him a printout of the version the guy back in this thread went to, and he said yup. 2 hours later I got the car back, no charge, and he said it updated w/out issue. I said thanks and said I'd call back in a month with feedback. I think it depends who you get at a dealership, etc. The local one here in Leesburg seems to be flexible enough to handle a request like mine without a mile of red tape/run-around. As for rolling out to all cars I have no idea. The only info I know about this issue is what's in this thread, and my personal experience with it. And I'm pretty certain someone's gonna eventually get severely injured or worse from it, if that already hasn't happened.

Jeff

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
@jeffmcfarlin Thanks for verifying that the update is most likely the fix.

@Last Lemming I feel more and more people might come back to this thread looking for a fix. Could you maybe change some parts of your initial post so people can more easily find the answer to the issue?
If you want you can just mention my post here a few months back.

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Is this still the latest iStep version? Let's keep this up to date as people get updated.

S18T-22-03-535
Assuming the second and third part mean year and month, I think there will be newer ones.
Maybe @JP_ can verify this as he updated it himself and has Toyota ISTA set up :)

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Assuming the second and third part mean year and month, I think there will be newer ones.
Maybe @JP_ can verify this as he updated it himself and has Toyota ISTA set up :)
Ah but then I'd have to pay for another month of techstream license ;)

I will be checking back periodically though

Reactions: B54

frankenm

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91
well this will make for an interesting trip to the dealer - might wait until i have another ecu and can do this myself, my car is really mad i stripped it and have endless warnings and lights on the dash now
Sponsored