Throttle hesitation

Constantine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1977 Datsun 280Z, 2021 Supra 3.0
Having similar issues with my 2021 3.0 I notice it primarily in normal mode. Press the gas for a reasonable take off from a stop and it feels like the car has thirty horsepower. I’m not getting any acceleration so I press the peddle a bit more and the car takes off like mad. Like others have mentioned I get worried taking some turns because I can’t tell if the car is going to hesitate or not. It’s really ruining my enjoyment of the car. It does this with the engine fully warm as well. I feel like it have to accelerate before I’d normally want to to compensate for this issue. Hopefully a fix is figured out soon because I doubt we all have faulty throttle sensors.
Sponsored

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Mine does the throttle thing every now and then, like last night. Did it for about 2 miles. Then I went about 1/2 throttle from a dead stop, vtec kicked it hard after a second or two and I was off. After that, the throttle was extra touchy for the rest of my drive home.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
Boostlyfe,

not sure, but your issue isn’t what my issue appears to be. Be sucks nonetheless.

BoostLyfe

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Toyota supra
outuber who explains the issue. Here is the
Boostlyfe,

not sure, but your issue isn’t what my issue appears to be. Be sucks nonetheless.
its the same issue its the same thing when pulling away from a stop car falls on its face just happened when pulling out of my garage this morning so bad it stalled.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I see. Mine doesn’t so much fall on its face (drop rpm) as it feels it has 30 hp till about 2.5k to 2k rpm then launches forward.
But it still could be tied to all the same issue.

BoostLyfe

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Toyota supra
I see. Mine doesn’t so much fall on its face (drop rpm) as it feels it has 30 hp till about 2.5k to 2k rpm then launches forward.
yea so usually when it happens im pulling away from a light or out of my nieghborhood i will push down on the gas and the car feels like it has no power im running on jb4 map 3 running an eblend and have an armaspeed intake so not sure if my problem is amplified by those mods.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well, happened to me yesterday coming home. This time I turned of VDC (one button push) and the problem appeared to go away.

Not sure why. I wasn’t taking off nearly hard enough to cause wheel spin when the VDC was on.

Maybe the TC system calculation the computer is doing is getting confused and pulling throttle when no wheel spin is being detected.

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
**** UPDATE***

I just found out today that because of the issues, the supra is being bought back. I am disappointed that it had to come to this. I did enjoy the car for the 2 years of owning it. I hope that Toyota really rethinks this BMW stuff. The software from BMW is causing damage to the car. The supra has sooo much potential to be a f*$ing beast, but its being dragged down by stupid things including the unreasonable price. So, now i have to figure out when to get the car so i can start removing the whole entire Artisan body kit and the akropovich exshaust. What a shame. My long term investment of making this car look nice down the drain. OH well, shit happens.

I deff wanted to say that since i had the supra and joining this forum, this is by far the best car community that i ever chatted with. I am no car expert, but i really had great convos with everyone giving and getting advice. I thank everyone for this.

If your supra is having these issues, don't sit back and ignore it. You never know what else could go wrong.

I'll keep posting updates on this situation .

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
yea so usually when it happens im pulling away from a light or out of my nieghborhood i will push down on the gas and the car feels like it has no power im running on jb4 map 3 running an eblend and have an armaspeed intake so not sure if my problem is amplified by those mods.
I don't think so, I have stepped on the gas all the way down before and im only able to get no higher than 3500rpm the max when the car acts up before doping to 0 in a few sec. I would have to say that it's nothing that you have done to make it worse.

madkin

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
supra
I don't think so, I have stepped on the gas all the way down before and im only able to get no higher than 3500rpm the max when the car acts up before doping to 0 in a few sec. I would have to say that it's nothing that you have done to make it worse.
Do you have a aftermarket downpipe or exhaust?

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Well, next week is the last week with my Supra. The problems with the car can't be fixed and i am not sad about it. The throttle problem did get worse over time to the point it randomly starts doing it even at a stop light. The car now has 7,500 miles since having it of Aug 19. I am sure this car will be resold without really getting fixed. I will feel bad for whoever buys this car. Now that Toyota is buying the car back and i'll be looking into another brand new car. I am more than likely be selling the complete FRP Artisan bodykit. It is painted gloss black and has ceramic coating on it. if you live in the Orlando area, DM me if you are intrested.

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
I've sold my supra as well.

Looking back, there is too much variability in terms of throttle response with this car with sometimes too much and then none at all.

When I was rolling and coming up to a set of lights about a month ago with cars stopped and took the outside lane and floored it in normal there was like this 2 seconds of nothing...

And then...

Bang..

Wild rear torque dump which caused the rear to squirrel and I let off pedal cause it was dangerous. Even my dad looked at me and said what was that.

What I found with supra it likes to be driven smoothly.. No sudden requests for power and it's happy. Kinda like a GT style cruiser.

Looking at that video that @Jay2004 posted, there's something wrong especially with the stall of rpm.

Now I can't try that on my 20 since it's sold but recommend all others do as there's something electronic cutting power. This may be linked with the infamous wouldn't rev thread
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/wouldnt-rev-after-starting.6460/unread

Safe driving all.

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
Just had this happen for the first time yesterday.
  1. Drove car from house to store, 20 minute drive, no issues.
  2. Spent about 5 minutes inside the store.
  3. Started up car (engine still at normal temperature), switched to Sports mode and headed out of parking lot to a street.
  4. Turned out onto the street and went about 30 feet to a stop light. Can't recall if car was still driving funky, but wasn't giving it much gas at all at this point.
  5. Sat at stoplight for maybe 20-30 seconds waiting.
  6. Light turned green, stepped on it to go and throttle felt like it was in limp mode. Stepped on it harder and got a sudden and huge surge of power (almost dangerous)
  7. Seemed fine after that for the remaining 7 minute drive across town to lunch.
I know the manual has the note about first 30 seconds after startup, but this definitely lasted more than 30 seconds, probably 2-3 minutes total.

Hopefully this isn't an issue that gets worse or pops up more frequently. Wondering if I should take the car in and have them run a diagnostics for proof (based on previous posts) or wait until I at least see it a second time.

Car is stock, other than some bimmercode tweaks. 2021, not tunable. About 1400 miles.
Sponsored