Throttle hesitation

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I had it really bad the other day and managed to snag a video after it did it 2 stop signs in a row. The pedal was mashed as soon as you see the mph increase, even before i decided to open my mouth. I saw no traction control blinking until it finally caught its breath in the higher RPMs. Pardon my useless commentary!

Hopefully others will chime in, but I see this as normal throttle response in these vehicles from a standstill. Electrons have to travel, values have to open, liquids have to move, pressure has to build, etc. These cars aren't built to have instance throttle response. This is actual something I've seen mentioned about vehicles with the ZF transmissions in general being a "thing." Maybe my expectations are too low for a $55k-ish car, though.
Sponsored

Philp

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
are you 100% stock?
MST intake currently, but it’s been doing it since the first week that i got the car.

@underdonk i would agree, except for the way it feels. Once the issue goes away, i would have to use like 10% throttle to mimic the low rpm behavior vs what this is doing at wot during the issue. It reminds me of trying to pull out in traffic on my old ninja 250 (carbureted) when it wasn’t warmed up enough.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
MST intake currently, but it’s been doing it since the first week that i got the car.

@underdonk i would agree, except for the way it feels. Once the issue goes away, i would have to use like 10% throttle to mimic the low rpm behavior vs what this is doing at wot during the issue. It reminds me of trying to pull out in traffic on my old ninja 250 (carbureted) when it wasn’t warmed up enough.
Maybe I haven't read back through the thread far enough, but under what conditions does the problem go away?

Philp

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Maybe I haven't read back through the thread far enough, but under what conditions does the problem go away?
Some people are having luck with toggling traction control. When i took this video, i pulled out of my driveway and noticed it as it felt extremely bogged down. It happened again at the end of my street, then i took the video at the following stop sign. It felt like it got slightly more responsive each time. It didn’t happen again at the following light just a couple minutes later.

The three times it happened that day were all within the space of 1-2 minutes total. I’d say it happens to me 1-2 times per month or so.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
This is exactly how mine does, and it’s not normal! It feels like you have 25 hp for the first 2000 RPM; then all of a sudden, bam, it launches.

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
I had it really bad the other day and managed to snag a video after it did it 2 stop signs in a row. The pedal was mashed as soon as you see the mph increase, even before i decided to open my mouth. I saw no traction control blinking until it finally caught its breath in the higher RPMs. Pardon my useless commentary!

Hey guys,

I have moved on from the Supra, but watchin this video brings it all back again with throttle hesitation.

Yup, definitely software and you can see the lag/hesitation in the lower rpm and then the tacho/needle goes crazy towards top end.

This was exactly what I recall when I approached a pair of light with traffic stopped. My rpm was hovering around 1.5-2k rpm and then I floored it and nothing for about 2k rpm and then exactly what you see in the video the crazy top end kick. The frighting thing for me was it was wet and dangerous so had to back off or it would have been in the gutter.

And it was so random , that I could never get on top of and I do recall reset the sports mode, but after you feel it, it makes you uncomfortable with trust factor.

Anyway, thought I would contribute , even though I have moved on from the Supra, but that video brings it all back.

Thnx 4 sharing and safe driving all.

Paolo

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Some people are having luck with toggling traction control. When i took this video, i pulled out of my driveway and noticed it as it felt extremely bogged down. It happened again at the end of my street, then i took the video at the following stop sign. It felt like it got slightly more responsive each time. It didn’t happen again at the following light just a couple minutes later.

The three times it happened that day were all within the space of 1-2 minutes total. I’d say it happens to me 1-2 times per month or so.
Interesting. I always drive with Sport mode on and 1 short press of the TSC button. Only time I've ever felt like the car has been bogged down was doing launch control with TSC on fully. Looks like the car is fully warmed up based on your temp gauge. Not sure exactly how accurate it is. Does it happen at all after you've been driving around for a while? Does it start happening again after 30mins, an hour, etc.? Do you experience this all at-speed?

zeroomega

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, FR-S
I experienced this issue today for the first time. I was backing up from my garage onto street and when I press the throttle, there is no power and RPM seems to be dropping. The symptoms persisted until the 2rd stop sign and then it disappeared. The car is a 2020 3.0 and is fully stock. The car never had this issue in the past 2 years but last month I sent the car to dealer for a transmission output shaft leak repair and the brake recall. I assume all of the software were updated during that recall so it is very likely the issue is just software related.

QQ520TT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Solara, FRS, Prius
I only drive on sport mode with traction completely off on the road. Never had any issues from standing still. The rear always screaming and fighting for the traction when flooring from 900 rpm. Maybe Arizona never gets too cold. Hit 4.4 from 0-60 on dragy consistently with no launch control. Rear tires are down to 2/32...need to replace them.

2021 stock, 91 gas with octane booster.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The issue only happens to me with traction’s on and after the TC engages this first time. Once I lose a bit of traction after the car is started I begin to have the issue. If I toggle the TC once the issue goes away. I have to restart the car to be able to drive with the TC on and not have the throttle issue, that is until it’s triggered again.

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
I've posted before about this problem but my car has done this as well now, probably 4 or 5 times, but it only ever does it after I've swapped tune files either from my 93 map to an E blend, or when I was datalogging to get my Ethanol tune perfected and had to continuously flash new tune revisions. It's 100% something to do with the ECU and the way the software controls throttle input. When this issue occurs for me however, the car will literally stall when I try to take off from a dead stop in first if I give it to much gas, it bogs itself down and stalls if I floor it, and if I want to accelerate at all I have to very slowly press the pedal down and then it will slowly climb.

The fix this, what I have found, which works 100% of the time, is to park the car somewhere safe, shut it off completely, meaning all electronics, the head unit, everything, and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. This has remedied the issue for me 100% of the time. Luckily for me, the only times this has ever occurred was when I was in my driveway or at the first stop sign in my neighborhood and I detected the issue immediately and was able to just park the car, hop out, lock it, and go back in the house and wait a few minutes. It sucks and I wish the issue never existed in the first place, but sadly it does for some people.

Reactions: zrk
OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Based on what I have experienced it appears the car is preemptively cutting traction after the rear wheels slip the first time. As if the car recognizes “oh, your rear wheel slipped! It must be slippery conditions, so let me pull power to make sure you don’t do that again.”

SpeedRacer

First Name
AP
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
My 2021 just started doing this after the recall was performed last weekend.

it’s ECU date is 6/20. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
My 2021 just started doing this after the recall was performed last weekend.

it’s ECU date is 6/20. Not sure if that makes a difference.
same for me. About 2 weeks after the recall was done on my 2020. Weird cos I never experienced it for the first year of ownership. Definitely does not feel right. Best case scenario, it’s the transmission readaptation post ECU flash, but sure scared the crap out of me when I was filtering into traffic from a stop and the car wouldn’t move for a split second.

The sensation is kinda like theres a dead spot as you’re pressing the pedal. Wasn’t flooring it, just moving off from a standstill.

Immediately let off the gas and pressed it again, and went back to normal. Occurred three times on two separate drives, no slippery road patches that I could see.

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone,

I haven't been on to check up on everyone with the supra throttle situation. Since Toyota bought my car back as a lemon, i have no regrets about it. I do miss driving it, but not the BS of the problems. I just caught myself up on reading the threads. I see that nothing has changed with Toyota addressing the issue. Shame!

From talking with the Supra mechanic from the dealership i went to, he told me that there is NO fix for it. Plus Toyota is very aware of it. When he had my car at the time, it happened to him and he was able to record it and send it to the corp office. Hence declaring it as a lemon after multiple attempts for fix it and because the problem was so bad, it actually shut the whole system of the car off where the mechanic could get the anything to work.

I hope you guys don't get anything in that level of issues. Hopefully there is a fix for it in the future.
Sponsored