Toyota "Preparing" Hotter Supra GRMN, Says Chief Engineer

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
https://www.motor1.com/news/547508/toyota-supra-corolla-gr-rumors/

This came up on Motor1's site today as well. Looks like the original copy was cut and pasted on a few automotive news sites.

However these sites did not copy and paste the "BMW Z5" text and even suggest that this rumored manual transmission option might be fitted to the 3.0L B58 rather than the four cylinder models... but it's all rumor. They also mention the GRMN and the GR Corolla.

The Drive article (3rd down) is the most comprehensive on this and the publication which originated the information from Japan's Carsensor.net (last link below-- use Google Chrome to translate it).

https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/g38235867/toyota-supra-manual-transmission-2022/

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/11/12/toyota-supra-manual-rumor-again/

https://www.drive.com.au/news/toyota-gr-supra-manual-gearbox-coming-by-mid-2022-report/

https://www.carsensor.net/contents/editor/category_849/_66155.html

Toyota has nothing to lose by going through with offering a manual option since the Nissan Z will be offering one with their V6TT.

The GRMN news therein is cool too but that thing will be near unobtainable anyway. The real gift from it is that as a production model it will be fully documented within the Toyota parts system for some ambitious mixing and matching of parts on other GR Supras.
Sponsored

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
Moto Miwa posted on social media “a manual Supra is coming save your money”

Moto is not just a nobody he’s a huge AE/GT86 enthusiast and gets inside info and seems to have a relationship with Tada-San who runs the Supra and 86 programs. At this point I have to think it’s true. The save your money part, could mean it’s a higher HP limited edition Supra.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
Also reading an old interview with Tada-San he lays this all out saying to expect changes every year and some surprises. He said there will be performance changes mixed with appearance changes and then more performance.

With the 21’s we saw that with the HP jump, suspension changes, etc. Also intro of the 2.0. 22 not as much (CF edition) but I wonder how much Covid parts constraints played a role.

i don’t think it’s unrealistic to see some more performance other (manual) changes over the next couple years. Tada pretty much stated that the car has to evolve every year or it would die.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
^^^ Surprising a manual would weigh more than an auto.
I think it’s overall weight. My source said that a different differential, axles, driveshaft, and all supporting components like third pedal, hydraulic cylinder, and lines increases weight substantially over what Toyota was okay with. He did say that the transmission they were testing was overkill for the power and weight of the vehicle….which probably means Toyota wanted a very strong manual transmission offering.

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
Im willing to bet they offer it only in MT, with BMWs MT in the current G80. Which is good but also bad. Id prefer to have the HP70 or 75.
Manual is great but Im over manuals, riding my superduke over the past couple years and find myself using the quick shifter more and more over manually clutch shifting. Its just so smooth and fast and still engaging.
But to each their own honestly. Id go for the GRMN if it wasnt Unobtanium

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
I think it’s overall weight. My source said that a different differential, axles, driveshaft, and all supporting components like third pedal, hydraulic cylinder, and lines increases weight substantially over what Toyota was okay with. He did say that the transmission they were testing was overkill for the power and weight of the vehicle….which probably means Toyota wanted a very strong manual transmission offering.
I think they could get away with it if they got rid of the heated seats and the safety gizmos

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Moto Miwa posted on social media “a manual Supra is coming save your money”

Moto is not just a nobody he’s a huge AE/GT86 enthusiast and gets inside info and seems to have a relationship with Tada-San who runs the Supra and 86 programs. At this point I have to think it’s true. The save your money part, could mean it’s a higher HP limited edition Supra.
If Moto Miwa made that comment then there is more legitimacy to this than just the average rumor mill antics. Hopefully he is not referring to a manual Supra only being offered with the super-rare GRMN trim. The impression I got was that the manual was for the regular GR Supra... while the GRMN would offer its DCT (or maybe also its own manual transmission option in addition). I hope that is the case.

I like hearing that the manual transmission being tested is overkill for the production power output. That's a very good thing if true. The need for a new differential (probably a ratio change rather than a casing change) and different axles makes sense to me.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
A manual on the GRMN would be beyond stupid.

"Let's make a 500 hp performance Supra, with improved everything, and then neuter that performance with a manual"

Makes no sense.

A manual for the 2.0 and regular 3.0 does.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
…Oh and different wheels, brakes, and rear suspension bracing/support.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
A manual on the GRMN would be beyond stupid.

"Let's make a 500 hp performance Supra, with improved everything, and then neuter that performance with a manual"

Makes no sense.

A manual for the 2.0 and regular 3.0 does.
No offense to B48 owners, but I don't think people want to hear the B48 when driving a Manual Supra

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
Agreed 100%. A GRMN Supra would probably be in the ballpark of 3-3.5 seconds for 0-60. At that point, the bottleneck is mainly the organic bit behind the wheel.

It would make sense on the current 2.0 and 3.0 as you said.

kaiv

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46, E39
If Moto Miwa made that comment then there is more legitimacy to this than just the average rumor mill antics. Hopefully he is not referring to a manual Supra only being offered with the super-rare GRMN trim. The impression I got was that the manual was for the regular GR Supra... while the GRMN would offer its DCT (or maybe also its own manual transmission option in addition). I hope that is the case.
If the MT is indeed coming, a safe bet would be that it will be wildly available rather than restricted to a special edition. You know, R&D cost amortization and all that. It wouldn't make sense for them to develop and integrate a different transmission just for a limited edition model.
Sponsored