Toyota Should Be ASHAMED - Pathetic parts support

MR_X

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Bupra, 2016 Macan Turbo, 2010 M3
I work in the industry and we have issues with parts from all manufacturers. My wife's car needs a new rear bumper/diffuser from a love tap she got back in November. My appointment to get it fixed is in Jun or as soon as the parts come in. Still haven't gotten parts in. Thank god it is hard to see the love tap or I would be going nuts.
Sponsored

HAL 9000

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV Supra
I ordered Advan wheels from evasive for my mk4 Supra on October 20th. They delivered this past Monday 4/4. Hurry up and wait

Chilort

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW Z4
My point, which was probably not well made earlier because I was going for sarcasm, is that these companies are flush with cash. They're flush with cash because they squeezed these supply chains (that are obviously not built overnight) for the previous decade to the point that they were ready to fail already. It was profit, profit, profit all over the place. And it still is. And we're left hanging with poor interactions with the companies who charged us a lot of money for a premium product. Especially egregious in the case of Toyota who has almost always gone with multiple suppliers for every part. And they did that on purpose for reasons of backup, but also quality control. I worked as an engineer in the automotive industry many years ago and I'm a little surprised that things aren't actually worse. Good thing the shareholders are doing well though.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Exactly. Right now there's an inexplicable shortage on distilled water where I live. I could wave a stack of 100's in the face of every Vons employee and still leave with nothing more than "drinking water". All distilled water requires is a heat source and a condensation tank... and should be a largely autonomous process for the past 50 years (at least).
Soooo, I was reading this post and thinking exactly this. Dude is upset over a light, and why there is a shortage or electrical component, freaking Las Vegas some how cant get a spoonful of distilled water. We went to 3 places looking for some to fill a radiator on a race truck and like wtf..

im sooo glad I never had the OCD about little things to make my life miserable. A light or warning that’s not effecting the car wouldn’t end my day. But I guess it’s the end of the world for others.

OP
OP
j50gt

j50gt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22' Supra 3.0
Soooo, I was reading this post and thinking exactly this. Dude is upset over a light, and why there is a shortage or electrical component, freaking Las Vegas some how cant get a spoonful of distilled water. We went to 3 places looking for some to fill a radiator on a race truck and like wtf..

im sooo glad I never had the OCD about little things to make my life miserable. A light or warning that’s not effecting the car wouldn’t end my day. But I guess it’s the end of the world for others.
GFY dude. It's not just a light. Because the car always thinks the hatch is open, the interior lights are always on too, at night. It's a body control module, who knows what could go wrong if something else fries in it. Maybe the windows could stop working altogether, maybe the immobilizer goes wrong mid-drive and veers me into a tree. Bottom line is that something has been wrong with my car from day 1, and Toyota is completely unable to fix it. This is literally a forum for talking about issues with the Supra, how am I the asshole here?

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
My point, which was probably not well made earlier because I was going for sarcasm, is that these companies are flush with cash. They're flush with cash because they squeezed these supply chains (that are obviously not built overnight) for the previous decade to the point that they were ready to fail already. It was profit, profit, profit all over the place. And it still is. And we're left hanging with poor interactions with the companies who charged us a lot of money for a premium product. Especially egregious in the case of Toyota who has almost always gone with multiple suppliers for every part. And they did that on purpose for reasons of backup, but also quality control. I worked as an engineer in the automotive industry many years ago and I'm a little surprised that things aren't actually worse. Good thing the shareholders are doing well though.
The part that failed was the BCM, which is effectively another ECU. They're meant to last the lifetime of the car (extremely high mean time to failure), so its not a part that readily needs replacements; profits or not, the emphasis for replacement parts go to items that are expected to break faster.

Also, given the complexity of modern ECUs, I can't imagine that it's a simple plug-and-play component. Lastly, Ukraine has cut neon gas shipments, which is crucial for semiconductor production, which a new BCM would probably need.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Honestly doesn’t even sound like the BCM, but wiring or the deck lid sensor.
My thoughts exactly, but that may prove more difficult to solve. If he gets another BCM, he can verify it's not it, but without a confirmed working one, hard to pinpoint.
Wish I knew more about the CAN and error message types. Like, is system able to distinguish wiring is faulty or something...

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
My thoughts exactly, but that may prove more difficult to solve. If he gets another BCM, he can verify it's not it, but without a confirmed working one, hard to pinpoint.
Wish I knew more about the CAN and error message types. Like, is system able to distinguish wiring is faulty or something...
CAN is great, but it's a pretty "stupid" protocol. It basically just 'fails.' I'd personally be in the back of this thing with my volt meter checking to see if I'm getting voltage at the sensor.

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
CAN is great, but it's a pretty "stupid" protocol. It basically just 'fails.' I'd personally be in the back of this thing with my volt meter checking to see if I'm getting voltage at the sensor.
Thats what I would be doing. The odds of a ecu failing is very very low.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Thats what I would be doing. The odds of a ecu failing is very very low.
As a software engineer, who dabbles in hardware- this specific failure is extremely unlikely as well. Just a single system? A single subsystem of a system? A subsystem of a subsystem? Idk, sounds like a sensor.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
As a software engineer, who dabbles in hardware- this specific failure is extremely unlikely as well. Just a single system? A single subsystem of a system? A subsystem of a subsystem? Idk, sounds like a sensor.
OP did state they changed the sensor and the issue was still there. Perhaps it could be some damaged wiring somewhere along the line that the tech didn't check. Saw no mention of that.
Sponsored