traction link (rear trailing arm) installation question

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
while uninstalling the factory traction links, they were under quite a bit of preload and required some elbow grease to remove. upon inspection, the factory arm on one side was about 10mm too short to reinstall the bolts without a fight.

the new links are adjustable so i could either install them at zero-preload length and leave them that way, or i could shorten them back to the factory lengths after getting the bolts though.

i know using the zero-preload length will change the alignment, although, the factory alignment being off is likely the root cause of the misalignment (suspension bind?).

i am not planning to replace any other arms at the moment. what is best practice in this situation?

screenshot from another thread for reference. red arrow.

Screenshot_2024-02-04-17-41-22-39_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Size the center-to-center length of the new arm to match the old, then get an alignment. That's the "best" way. The other way is to just get it to whatever length fits the current hub position and get an alignment.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
If you jack up the arms at the hub and use a screwdriver to align the hole, it all goes back together normally. Took me some wrestling to figure that out, then it worked.

OP
OP
i3igpete

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
Yeah I thought about it a bit, having a non-stock lower link length will change the arc radius and path.

tricky part is that the hole is so far off that i couldn't use the screwdriver trick on that side

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
You can also use jacks, pry bars, pickle forks, ball joint separators, and wedges to move the hub around.

OP
OP
i3igpete

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
what I ended up doing was extending the arms out to zero preload alignment, get the bolts through, then pulled the arms in to full short, and then counted the number of turns needed to go back out to stock length when measured off the car (22x 60-degree turns for the megans)

OP
OP
i3igpete

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
Quick update with review. wheel hop is not eliminated, but it is significantly reduced. it feels like the amplitude of hop is roughly halved, and feels like it damps out much quicker as well (say, 4-6 hops per event rather than 10-15)
Sponsored